Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone decided to reserve parking space in our estate

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why if you drive you should never buy a house without a driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe we should follow the Japanese approach, where you can't buy a car until you prove you have off-street storage for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Have to say I would never entertain buying a house without a driveway these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you could have just offered to sell the space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

If you don't even own a car, why does it matter, or bother you, if people park in the spot? #soundneighbour

I hope someone doesn't trip over that tree trunk! 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭SteM

The solution was OTT imo but a sound neighbour would ask before they park in your spot surely? Why does only one side have to be sound but the other side can be obnoxious?

If I was to speak to someone about them parking in my designated spot and their was response was to tell me to f*** off then I wouldn't be very sound about it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

True SteM - never any excuse for abuse like that. I am not condoning that sort of abuse, far from it. Although in the grand scheme of life, it is not something to worry about when you don't even have a car... I would be more worried someone would fall over that tree stump.

I would often visit friends/family and wouldn't have a clue if parking spaces are visitor spaces or allocated (markings worn away etc.). Being as considerate as I am 😁, i typical ask the person I visit but I guess most don't bother their arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

if they fall over a stump, I'm assuming it's large, they'd also fall over a car :)

What I notice about society, the last 4 or 5 years, it seems to be acceptable to act like a twat, and that includes ignoring parking signs, speed limits, footpaths, double yellows etc. , but people seem to think that anyone that mentions it, or voices their concern, is the baddie.

As a cyclist, pedestrian, dog owner, someone that worked with people with disabilities, people have taken offense to me explaining to them the danger of their parking/driving. I've been called arrogant, rude, bully etc, as I stand there and look at these people who are breaking a law.

BTW I have been a bus driver, I own a van and I own a car- One area I've lived in has limited space, so if I'd have a visitor, I'd either move my car, to let them park in front of my house, or I'd let them know in advance, where is a good place to park that will not be taking the space of a neighbor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Ginger83

It is a common problem with parking. Personally if neighbours were sound it would not bother me who parked where however in this case I would be aiming to park half my car in both spaces and my response to the neighbour would be to talk to Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If he has a mortgage, he can't sell part of the estate without the consent of the bank.

Same. Absolute dealbreaker for me if a house didn't have space for at least two cars.

Being a "sound neighbour" can backfire on you. My brother and his wife owned a space but they didnt own a car when they moved in. When his wife bought her first car a year or so later, they had awful trouble reclaiming the space they owned, because the neighbours who he had allowed use it didn't see why they should give it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

To be fair though, there is nothing more obnoxious though than a cyclist or an Atheist "explaining" things to other people. I dont know how, but they they all sound like they carry their own giant soap box everywhere. And I say that as both a Cyclist and an Atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I find the motorists and car owners sense of entitlement to every location far more obnoxious. I rarely say anything about cycling even when asked but some of the statements from those driving can be shocking and completely ignorant. A guy in work who I didn't know stopped me in the corridor to tell me I was cycling illegally because I under took him while he was stuck in traffic. He was really mad about it. Refused to believe it was perfectly legal and was getting real mad about it and wouldn't let me leave. Eventually somebody had to hold him back so I could leave.

Advertisement