Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Someone decided to reserve parking space in our estate

• 14-03-2022 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Our estate has communal parking. Its has terraced houses with no front gardens or driveways. There is about 1.5 spaces per house.

Anyway some neighbour with just one car has decided to paint two spaces with her house number in the communal parking area (not even directly outside her house). There never was spaces marked out in any of the estate and this just looks stupid and tacky.

When asked about it, she was dismissive.

It wasnt built as a council estate but the council maintain it.

Any advise on how to proceed in getting these spaces removed.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Get a local councillor interested, ideally one who she doesn't like anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

she is basically trying to "acquire" something she has no legal right over. I would agree with making a stand on this kinda thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Report to local council as graffiti

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

park in those spaces even if they aren't outside your door.

Take photos and report her to the council.

Hopefully they'll bill her for removing the paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Just park in the spaces - and ignore any conversation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Similar situation to OP - privately built small estate of terraced houses with communal parking area maintained by council.

I will hands up admit that we painted space lines in our communal carpark (no space is assigned to any house tho) after a new tenant in one of the houses proved incapable of taking up less than two spaces two years ago. It got to the point where people couldn't find parking due to the knock on effect of her pull in an leave it where ever she stopped technique.

And yes, people who owned their houses were getting very annoyed at arriving home from work to find no where to park. Not one complaint received from neighbours about the lines we painted - many bottles of wine and boxes of chocolates to say thanks.

Now - we can all park. Although I did notice someone left a note on her car a few months ago after she parked over the lines politely asking her to park within the lines. Since then, not an issue.

OP - perhaps your neighbour was having a similar problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Oddneighbour

I wouldnt have paid any attention to spaces been marked. I find the numbering to be annoying when she only has a car and there isn't two spaces per house, also she has a 3 bedroom house and half the houses are 4 beds so I cant find any logic to this.

Normally the place is 80% full but occasionally 100% full. In the last 5 years, there was maybe 8 times max where someone had to park else where, but she wouldn't have been effected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I will hands up admit that we painted space lines in our communal carpark

i assume you didn't paint your house number into the space like the OP describes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I had a slightly different situation to the OP, but something to think about.

I lived in an estate with about 35 houses and about 40 spots. My row of 5 terraced houses had space for 7 cars outside. You could just about make out slightly different brick colour showing part of the lines.

My deeds were very clear that the numbering was 5 / 4 / 3 / _ / 2 /_ /1 (the two blank spots being communal spots). When I raised this with my fellow residents, many were skeptical as they were not aware there were specific spots. The 5 of us were planning on painting lines as the above poster did to at least maximise the space available, a few weren't keen on adding numbers (the ones with two cars, naturally).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Did you check the deeds, sometimes spots were assigned but never marked out by the developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Painting house numbers on parking spaces is absolutely idiotic. "Hello burglar, you'll note my space is empty so chances are there's nobody home" 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

Don't say anything to her. Just go out of your way to park in those spaces. Get a few other neighbours to do the same. Eventually she will get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Mark all of the rest of the spaces out. Put her number in them all.

Does she own the house? Ask her to check her deeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

paint more boxes, and create a massive hopscotch for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭sonyvision

I dislike people like that. Neighbour here will park on the road outside his house if there is a car in his spot he will go knocking on doors untill the move. Total pr**

one of the main reasons we didn't buy a new house without a driveway, life is to short to be dealing with this.

Contact the council and report the graffiti.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

why does it wind you up so much op, if you need a space and one of hers is free take it. You always get people like this in life and they won't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

We've small gardens and ageing kids, so the parking on our street is a nighmare... have a neighbour who will park outside anybody's house, to save that spot for their visitors, even though the person living in that house my actually need to park a car there, drives me insane, especially since said neighbour paved their garden in so can fit 2 maybe 3 cars at a push, but never parks in there.

I said that just after the bit you quoted...

I did just get home to find can't park tenant's mother - who also can't park and lives walking distance away, you can literally see her house- managed to park with her front wheel so completely over the fecking line she's effectively taking up two spaces. The two spaces nearest the houses.

Some people are just pig ignorant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i live near a primary school, on a main road. occasionally we get people parking across the end of our driveway and wandering up to the school to collect their kids.

• Advertisement

School bus collects/drops kids off end of our carpark as it's convenient for parents to park there. We did have to ask them to not use the actual carpark as a Collect/drop off point as it honestly got crazy. No resident could get in or out when the bus was there.

It amazes me how some people will park at the entrance making a choke point - all to be 7 feet closer to the road. It's not even a busy road. It's a cul de sac.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

Park diagonally in her 2 spaces taking them both up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Or a simpler option would be to get creative with her markings - turn a 1 into a 7, turn a 0 into an 8 - add an extra digit. Just wreck her head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Is it any different to having a driveway? Hello burglar you’ll note my driveway is empty …?

You decide to buy a property with a driveway/allocated parking. When you buy somewhere with unallocated parking as in the OP, you have added safety in terms of not identifying units from spaces. The neighbour has removed that from themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

I can guarantee you this, the council will not be interested in coming out to sandpaper a bit of paint off of a kerb. Not a hope in hell.

Just ignore it, or deliberately make a point of parking there knowing that it is totally and utterly fanciful thinking on her part, or else go out an scrub it off yourself and make sure she sees you doing it. She can do absolutely nothing.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You are expecting a lot of any burglar to be aware of the deeds for each property and whether or not a space was part of the sale or not...

I also dont believe a single person on the planet buys a property with unallocated spaces for the purpose of vehicle security.

Nothing to do with vehicle security. Home security. I definitely saw it as a positive when purchasing my property

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I had a similar problem, a marked parking space outside my house that I own.

I dont even have a car.

People constantly parking in it.

Example of conversations...

"People like you are pathetic"

"F* off"

"I will only be 5 minutes"

"You dont own this"

I got fed up with the hassle.

I contacted a tree surgeon business, got them to dump a huge tree trunk in the space, where it is now.

End of problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

So bearing absolutely no similarity whatsoever to the OP then. Got it.

Advertisement