Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women (always) worst hit by wars: Hillary Clinton & now UN

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

doesn't Hillary have a snuke up her snizz

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jackoflynn

Yeah... Birds of a feather and all that.

I'd have to link his whole profile to show what a crackpot he is.

He needs a hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You obviously had a run in with on a previous account, but he always manages to post civilly.

If you're incapable of debating perhaps just put him on ignore?

haha... seriously? Bird of a feather and all that...? You're now extending hate of women to me?

Go on. Provide some bloody evidence of my misogyny and hatred of women in threads. I've already asked for some evidence about IPTBA.. but I get the rather strong feeling there won't be any such evidence/support provided.

Being critical of feminism, the state of equality in society, or criticism of the exaggerated attention that women receive in western society, is not any indication of hatred of women.

@iptba already has a hobby. He promotes male rights on boards... I'd consider that to be a rather good hobby. What's yours? Appear on threads, don't contribute to the actual thread topic, and insult a poster? Yeah.. yours is so much better. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

This is a really stupid statement, men are way more likely to be killed in war. That’s the most serious thing and that’s all there’s too it. People get so used to pandering to feminism that they can’t stop themselves from realising some things are not worst for women. Idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Men who gloss over what happens to men in war (and want to shut down discussion) are usually, IME, charity spoofers, white knights or rich old farts who would never be conscripted to fight. Men being killed in war is an "other person" problem. A problem which doesn't provide good material for virtue signalling.

There's also an element of - Putin is a man so if men are killed and maimed in the Ukraine war, it is less bad than if women are killed.

The same sort of attitudes can be seen everywhere in public discourse. Men talking rubbish about the gender pay gap and how "we" need to introduce quotas etc - after THEY have established themselves in their career.

Civilians are worst hit by war,man,woman,child.Hell even pets. But service members sign up with that thought they will be killed in war if it arises.Point is everyone is hit in the worst way in their own way.Whether it be fatherless son/daughter,a widow/widower,etc. IMO that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

"men are way more likely to be killed in war. That’s the most serious thing and that’s all there’s too it"

Lots of people woud disagree with you. There are much worse things than being killed - for example: "being left with the responsibility, alone, of raising the children" according to many boaders.

Personally, I'd view the loss of limbs, being paralyzed, cancers from exposure, PTSD and other physical/psychological conditions that ruin a mans life due to war as being much worse. Imagine heading off to conflict at 19 and coming back to the next 70 years, bound by problems that will be with you forever.

Oh, as for the being left with responsibilities, most countries have supports for widows of fallen soldiers, in some countries like the US, such payments and benefits are not insignificant.

All of the above happen to everyone, soldier or civilian in a conflict zone.

Noone has it better or worse then anyone else within a war. Everyone suffers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

UN spokeswoman Joung-ah Ghedini-Williams told the BBC it was mostly women and children making the crossing into Poland,

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-60555472

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭MakersMark

This is the type of question that throws a spanner in the mechanism of Liberal brains. The whole facade of logic short circuits

Not sure what the point is here? Maybe I'm missing something.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

All of the above happen to everyone, soldier or civilian in a conflict zone.

And the vast majority of people leaving the conflict zone are women and children.

I'm not saying it's not a fucked up situation for everyone,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What is Hilary ? As in what is she doing now that leads her to believe that she an important voice in the political landscape of the US, the world or that her views are mandated by any sections of her country or planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

The Hillary Clinton quote is from 1998, when she was First Lady in the US. She subsequently was a United States senator for New York from 2001 to 2009, served as the US secretary of state from 2009 to 2013 (and hence also a member of cabinet) and nearly won the US presidential election in 2016.

A more recent quote along similar lines came out this week (15.03.2022) from the Federal Foreign Minister in Germany, Annalena Baerbock:

"This illustrates clearly that conflicts and crises are not gender-blind. They affect women disproportionately. That’s true for the war in Ukraine. It’s true for the conflicts we see across the globe, from Afghanistan to the Sahel."

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/newsroom/news/-/2517398

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

I’m not sure it’s a great line of discussion, but has anyone read the indo’s website today? Apparently, elderly women are being raped in Ukraine. That’s not to say one gender is suffering more than the other, just to note the utter depravity of what’s going on.

Ukrainian MPs detail ‘medieval’ tactics of Russian soldiers as elderly women raped

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/ukrainian-mps-detail-medieval-tactics-of-russian-soldiers-as-elderly-women-raped-41460004.html

Post edited by bejeezus on

• Advertisement

Rape as a war crime has been going on forever. There are not even any kind of accurate statistics for it , because most women do not report it. But you can be sure that it is astronomically high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

Killed, or maimed physically and psychologically by war.

No denying women are negatively affected also, but not as much as soldiers (male & female, but predominantly male) are by war.

This has all the hallmarks of a 'woke' BS pr statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Percentage wise it is men.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sergibabo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭NSAman

Must mean Hillary and her foundation are looking for more money off the UN.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In about 5 years she’ll be complaining as to how women are more adversely hit by testicular cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Call it "woke" if you want but I would rather be killed as a hero defending my country than be captured and sold into sexual slavery, or just plain raped, as a women during a war.

All the lads in here who are actually decrying the idea of wartime rape as A Bad Thing are probably maintaining half-strength chubbs imagining themselves flying into battle armed with only their rifle and a handful of cheat codes like in a Playstation shoot-'em-up. War is hell, for men and women alike. At least the lads who get their brains blown out on the battlefields don't get to suffer any more.

Call it "woke" if you want but I would rather be killed as a hero defending my country than be captured and sold into sexual slavery, or just plain raped, as a women during a war.

I'd called it biased, and narrowminded... so yeah, woke is a fairly good fit. Men face more than simply being killed. How about being a pow in a detention camp for the entirety of the war, facing torture, disease, etc? And that's related to relatively nice wars. How about how the VC or the US treated pows during Vietnam? Or the treatment of German pows after WW2, many ending up starving to death?

Oh, and male on male rape is a thing. I realise it's something often dismissed or ignored, but it happens. Have a gawk:

All the lads in here who are actually decrying the idea of wartime rape as A Bad Thing are probably maintaining half-strength chubbs imagining themselves flying into battle armed with only their rifle and a handful of cheat codes like in a Playstation shoot-'em-up. War is hell, for men and women alike. At least the lads who get their brains blown out on the battlefields don't get to suffer any more.

I've no idea who this is supposed to apply to... but probably it's meant as a vague general statement so that "all the lads" can be dismissed at the same time. You're right, that is a rather woke attitude to apply.

And if you look at "war", wartime casualties tend to outnumber the dead. So that's men returning missing limbs, carrying shrapnel in their bodies, suffering from lifetime PTSD, etc. Yup. War is definitely hell for both men and women.. but men tend to be more directly affected by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Killary decrying the negatives of war? 🙄

The hypocrisy of it all…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

Women are the primary victims of wars and conflict, yet they remain severely underrepresented at diplomatic negotiations, officials told the United Nations Security Council on Tuesday.

On the eve of International Women's Day on March 8, Sima Bahous, executive director of UN Women, called on the international community to do more to protect the lives, health and rights of women around the world.

Another person claiming it to add to the list:

French official Marlene Schiappa, who formerly served as her country's equality minister, said women pay the highest price in wars and crises.

Advertisement