Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive to Survive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Honestly hope they do a better job than last year. Understand they need to make it appealing, especially to new viewers but last season was just tabloid level sensationalism. The Norris/Sainz "rivalry" stuff was cringe, along with moving certain radio clips to fit whatever narrative or agenda the director is pushing. The first 2 seasons were almost a behind-the-scenes documentary, and very interesting watching certain dynamics; season 3 didn't seem to do that to the same extent and actually everything had to be taken with a massive pinch of salt. Or maybe I am just old and grumpy...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The dramatisation is a bit over the top but I'll still watch it, I wouldnt be surprised if they came out with a Tsunoda/Latifi rivalry for season 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

That is my Friday night sorted, a few beers and drive to survive!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Gunther is just brilliant, he makes the show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Watched the first 4 episodes, so I've just finished the Haas one.

Obviously we all knew it was bad, but to see the disrespect and contempt that Mazepin had towards the engineers and the whole team in general was a disgrace.

Then you see how his father carried on and it's clear to see where the issues arose.

It's no wonder they pulled the plug and got rid of them both as soon as the opportunity came up, despite the financial problems it will cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Episode 5 Silverstone.

Hamilton/Toto say the rule is if your front wheel is alongside the sidepod it's your line. That seems to fly in the face of a lot now other scenarios

DTS4

Toto is a d1ckhead. Sense of entitlement is unreal

Hamilton comes across as a total knob..

The merc team member saying "max being put in the wall will teach him" is really bad form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Just watched episode 1. Can't understand how they covered the Bahrain GP without mentioning Hamilton's complete abuse of track limits, especially when they spent so much time with Horner and it was by far the biggest talking point of the weekend as he never would have won the race if the FIA applied the rules consistently to both drivers.

3 I think.

Hamilton claims once a car has a front wheel alongside a "side part" the other car has to yield. It seems that only applies when Lewis is alongside. Plenty of other times last year the role was reversed and they blamed Max.

They blame Max for Silverstone for not leaving lewis enough room but then Lewis states that Max left a gap and he had to go for it. Apparently half the track at a very wide corner isn't enough room. Lewis also accused Max of turning in on him.

There was a clip showing some merc engineers etc talking after the race and one said words along the lines of "that the lesson Max has to learn, he can't just expect others to bail". I thought that was fairly low considering it was well known at that stage that Max was in Hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Yep, it's Gunther that drew me in.

No interest in the Wolff v Horner carry on.

That stuff just reminds of Apple v Android, Oasis v Blur etc etc drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

The one season where they didn’t need to exaggerate any of the drama.

was watching the silerstone one yesterday and thought this 10 second penalty footage was a bit long. Saw today on twitter somebody timed it. 33 seconds they dragged it out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Up to episode 5 and enjoying it, Mazepin and his dad come across as absolute idiots. Lando doesn't come across much better, seems far too cocky

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Up to Episode 8 so far myself...Gunther is still a legend... :) Bottas looks like a driver with the weight of the world on his shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Really enjoyed the Haas episode, the Mazepins are no loss to the sport, though the bias towards Mick in the way in which the episode was structured was a bit much.

I thought Russell in the Williams episode came across as an utter PR machine, rolling of preordained lines, no depth. Dread to think what he will become under Mercedes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I was a little disappointed with it overall considering the material they had this season.

The staged conversations were hard to watch, and you could tell a lot of the participants were struggling to keep a straight face.

And Will Buxton at every trivial occurrence...." This could potentially decide the formula 1 world championship". Give it a rest ffs.

That kind of nonsense was particularly annoying when you think about what was glossed over, or left out entirely (The blowouts and restart in Baku, Alonso's role in Budapest, Hamilton's fight back in Brazil).

Definitely an enjoyable few hours of telly all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What people have to remember here is that this is NOT a season review. It's 10 select stories that happened in Formula 1 during the season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

It’s funny just how bad Mazepin was really and the Sochi piece showed it well. “You beat Mick and Latifi” - they’d both retired!!

I've watched all 10 episodes so far, it's really poor,clips and audio thrown into random places. They compare Alonso as a race winner to Gasly, no mention of the Alonso and Hamilton battle at Hungary, no context to Le Clercs gearbox issue in episode 2, they say Verstappen wins the sprint at monza when Bottas was the winner,shows Hamilton pitting for hards then shows him on mediums likewise with Russell going from mediums to softs, Kimi retiring and Gio driving for his seat doesn't get a mention. No mention of Bottas going to Alfa or even reg changes for this season. I can why Verstappen didn't want to be a part of it. The 2021 season didn't need any of this fabricated rivalries and over the top dramatisation of incidents

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

I've been a fan of Lando, but wow he really doesn't come across well in this. And it's not like they're misquoting or taking things out of context, it's stuff he says straight to camera on multiple occasions.

4 episodes in and I'm enjoying it for what it is. Haas a highlight as always. Will Buxton is insufferable and I hope they get rid of him for next season. Some scenes are painfully obvious where people know they're being filmed and they're treating it as a PR exercise to show themselves in a good light, but felt like there were also plenty of real moments from Haas, from McLaren and from Horner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Wasn't super season. Some random observations:

• Toto & Horner don't come across great at all
    • The Lewis/Max rivalry wasn't shown very well (but I guess that's old news at this stage, everyone will have seen it live or in the weeks afterwards), but it did make me want both of them to lose
    • The aftermath of the last race wasn't shown at all, which is odd (I would have assumed/hoped there would have been some behind the scenes stuff to see)
    • We didn't see anything from Alfa Romeo or Aston Martin at all. Now I assume Kimi didn't participate, but we did see Seb with a clapper board, but he was never shown, which is a shame.
    • Lando came across poorly, Danny Ric is still a legend.
    • The Williams episode was okay, but there was a lot of manufactured stuff in them.
    • They really should have reactions/interviews that are from the time they are talking about, rather than having Will Buxton clearly doing it all at the end.
    • Haas episode was excellent, they really should just do a full season on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Longing

Very disappointing except for the Haas episode the only one that didn't look scripted. The rest were mediocre at best.

From the very first episode they left out some series detail in the first race were Mercedes won the race due to the stewards incompetence to police track limits completely ignoring Hamilton breaking track limits in almost every lap of that race.

What is it with Netflix and Daniel Riccardo seriously almost two episodes on him alone, Nothing against the guy like him a lot but focus on Alonso, Kimi or Sergio in how he has to adapt and fit in at a top team in what he had to change from Racing Point.

2021 season was the most instance for many a year but Netflix 2021 season of it was really poorly done. Three quarters of it was scripted like TV reality show.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Think that's where some people go wrong, they think it's a review and analysis on the previous season when it's anything but.

It's a TV show based around F1 and is as much about what happens off the track than what happens on it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Anyway, perhaps Lando can redeem himself a little here. Also hints at a bit of selective editing on Netflix part about a "pushed me off" comment on turn 1 in Bahrain which didn't happen there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭useless

My 2 cents...both Wolff and Horner are absolute knobs, I can't decide which one I dislike more. Verstappen is undoubtedly an amazing driver but comes across as a deeply unsavoury character. I think you probably have to have that kind of attitude to be successful in F1 because its so cut-throat though. Guenther is hilarious, he absolutely makes the series... I love Zak Brown too. Real vibe of 'wow I can't believe I'm in this position but I'm making the most of it'. Love to go for a pint with the two of them. Felt a bit sorry for Clare Williams, losing the team that her Dad built, but they've been sh!t for years and just didnt have the money to compete, so something had to give. Disappointed with the final episode- thought they would spend more time on the post race appeals etc by Mercedes but instead we just got Toto in a poloneck channelling his inner Schwarzenegger and looking like a gowl.

The last episode was brutally bad. The ending was all about Merc pushing the "we were robbed" nonsense. Hamilton getting to push the "everyone is out to get me" stuff too.

It seems to be that nobody is allowed bring up Toto telling Masi to not bring out the safety car at all and the impact that had on the last race.

Hope Sainz, Lando, Gasly, Ric and Seb all win a race this year and we get a few other big results like a Haas or Williams Podium. Would love to see Ferrari or McLaren challenge the whole season so it's not Merc/RB again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I’ve never had an issue with him before; but Will Buxton is starting to come across like someone’s doing an imitation of him, or Ricky Gervais’ pieces to camera in The Office. There’s this weird self satisfied insincerity to it now.

I've no problem with him on tv and never gave him much thought but watching drive to survive he'll start a sentence then take a long pause while staring into the distance before he'll finish the sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I watched episode 1, having enjoyed the other series, and I struggled through it. I just saw through the whole thing, and Will Buxton saying things like "you want to be first". No sh1t Sherlock. I just can't watch that kind of nonsense.

I suppose it's good for non or new fans. And the footage makes it look exciting. But I think I'm done with it now.

And whoever the other "commentator" is (the not-Croft voice). That's not a live commentary from the race sure it's not? But recorded especially for Netflix to sound like a commentary? Because he always seems to say something that relates to exactly what we're seeing on screen. Again, I saw through that.

• Advertisement

An awful lot of them end up getting like that, likely just too much time spent in the same place working for the same people. They repeat talking points and cliches and quotes and get heavy on narrative from quite early in any situation.

Advertisement