Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30k speed limits for all urban areas on the way

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just move this thread into the cycling forum and be done with it if you want an echo chamber.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'm a regular pedestrian in Ireland's towns and cities, and I don't usually care what speed the drivers are doing because I'm on the footpath and they are on the road. As long as they observe traffic controls (i.e. yield to me at zebra crossings, stop when required at light-controlled pedestrian crossings, don't block junctions etc) I have no issue. And the data affirm this view.

As to my observance of laws, I observe traffic controls, don't drive on the footpath and generally choose a speed that is appropriate for the conditions and allows me to stop in the distance I can see to be clear. As such, I'm one of the 99.5+% of Ireland's 2.8 million drivers that have never been and likely never will be involved a fatal incident, let alone the cause of one (which is a different matter).

And since footpath riding has been de-facto legalised, cyclists shouldn't care that much about speed either. Yes, it's technically illegal, but enforcement and penalties are basically zero, so the laws are entirely theoretical. I also suggest that you look up Irish road fatality statistics, per 100,000 vehicles, per billion vehicle-kilometres drive. Also get the statistics for the number of drivers license holders in the State. Get the absolute statistics and them compare them relative to the rest of the world. You'll find that broad-brush claims about "motorists" in Ireland killing "many" are overstated. And that's being generous.

The only thing that is bull droppings are the claims that there is any case whatsoever for broad scale speed limit reductions in Ireland.

The only thing that is bull droppings are the claims that there is any case whatsoever for broad scale speed limit reductions in Ireland.

The govt disagree with you and have, through the RSA & Dept of Transport, established a working group who are formulating a strategy for reducing speed limits, in particular in urban areas.

This is being done under action #6 of the National Road Safety Strategy 2021-2030.

Its absolutely going to happen, just a matter of how its going to be rolled out, where and when.

I'd recommend you have a read of the strategy as it will give you a heads up of the many aspects of the strategy that will be rolling out

https://www.rsa.ie/docs/default-source/road-safety/legislation/government-_road_safety_strategy_2021_2030_13th_dec21_final.pdf

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What is interesting is your view of the two different user types: effectively you are admitting to breaking the speed limits but it's ok because you've decided it will be ok and you definitley won't kill anyone*. Separately, people on bikes breaking the law is ignored so the laws against cyclists are basically pointless." Do you really not see this or are you, as @Unrealistic said earlier, trolling?

* out of curiosity, how many people involved in collisions were driving with exactly the same mindset as yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How do all the drivers we see parked on footpaths get there Seanie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Installing 30 limits and implementing them are two very different issues.

The 20 mph (32.2 km/h) limit in certain hot spots of the UK, like central London and the urban streets of Wales is not observed by 87% of drivers.

Hard cases make bad law and laws in turn must have public backing or there is no point in introducing them.

Having an urban 30 km/h limit and an 80 km/h rural limit on tiny blind little boreens all serve to undermine faith in the entire model of appropriate limits for appropriate settings.

30 km/h limits belong on residential estates, cul-de-sacs, school zones and through traffic calmed commercial areas like Blackrock or Dundrum. Any other application of a 30 limit would have to be on a specific case made like an industrial estate or port road network, where they may be conflicting movements of heavy vehicles etc.

The 20 mph (32.2 km/h) limit in certain hot spots of the UK, like central London and the urban streets of Wales is not observed by 87% of drivers.

Which can be addressed through engineering works to both physically prevent higher speeds and also subconsciously make drivers go slower.

We've already done this at the entry points to towns and villages across the country through the likes of road narrowing etc

That, along with the likes of avg speed cameras or regular speed cameras, would see higher rates of compliance

There is no issue with this that can't be overcome. Just will take time and investment.

Everybody knows 30km/h limits are a joke, but the point is to vigorously virtue signal while demonising motorists.

There are cyclists on footpaths exceeding 30km/h but they are the virtuous heroes of the new dawn, apparently.

Meanwhile we have thousands of young teenagers whizzing around (often on footpaths) on motorcycles, with no training, licence, helmet or insurance. But these motorcycles are electric so apparently that's ok.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Cyclists on footpaths exceeding 30 kmph eh? And then you woke up?

How exactly did you measure their speed? Have you any idea how difficult it is to build up to 30 kmph on a bike at all? You'd need a decent hill and probably a decent wind behind you, and a fair bit of a straight run to build it up. Those circumstances don't tend to come together too often on the footpath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭SeanW

Well, the cyclists often give it a good try.

It's a lot easier when they have electric motors.

I once clocked a fella on an electric assisted pedal bike at 65km/h on a level stretch 😮 There are slower motorcycles which you need compulsory training, licence, tax, helmet and insurance for.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as good a place to ask as any - what's the deal with the mandatory automatic sensing of speed limits in new cars? that's in a year now, and i've heard nothing about it. has it been implemented and no one is talking about it? or did car manufacturers simply not bother, and the regulators didn't enforce it?

Not really.

Not on legal pedelecs, no. But many of them are not legal. Most of the ones the teenagers are on don't need to be pedalled at all...

These parents would be horrified at the idea of letting their 16 year old get a moped but they're fine with letting their 13 or 14 year old out, with no training or helmet, on what to all intents and purposes is (and, is legally) a motorcycle.

It’s not really down to the characteristics of the bike. You just can’t get up to that kind of speed on the footpath.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's yet another aspect of road traffic law the gardai aren't policing.

Is there an acceptable speed for cycling on the footpath then?

They're often seen flying up my road (in the road - residential street) at an alarming speed.

The guy I clocked at over 60km/h was a MAMIL and he was on the Long Mile Road!

Is it dangerous to cycle at 1 kmph on the footpath, giving way to any pedestrians there, if you’ve been scared off the road by dangerous drivers?

I didn’t get over 50 kmph yesterday, which includes the short but steep descent of Grange Road beside St Enda’s Park.

I can’t see how anyone could manage to cycle 60 kmph on the flat, unless they were a professional cyclist on a professional bike, and there ain’t too many of those around here, let alone on footpaths.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The guy I clocked at over 60km/h was a MAMIL and he was on the Long Mile Road!

You're talking bollocks!

• Advertisement

i'm struggling to understand who suggested cyclists doing 30km/h on footpaths was a good thing? and that was before all this nonsense whataboutery started.

Are either of you two reading posts properly before hitting reply?

I said it was an illegal electric assisted bike.

1km/h on the footpath, suuuure. You are having a laugh. But you have admitted that you think breaking the law is ok if you're a cyclist.

sir, i heartily congratulate you on successfully derailing the thread so it's about people using mopeds on footpaths. top work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Not sure you can read. In the thread about car speed limits you want to talk about footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

There's a "Gang of Bandit Cyclist outlaws" living rent free in your mind...

you know that feelign when someone posts something and you're not sure how to respond because you've no clue if they posted it in jest or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If you look at Dublin city center today vs pre lockdown its vastly different for cars. That's a trend that only going to continue.

I drove a good bit to work before lockdown. It's got a lot harder and I rarely do it now. Peak hour traffic starts earlier and lasts longer now. Tolls are up. I think People are going looker harder at job opportunities with better transport options, be that public transport or places easier to drive to.

I think speeding outside of the city in suburbia etc with all the rat running is more an issue.

Advertisement