Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Yes, I will be waiting it out till Oct. Gas only for water from now onwards.

Hopefully that offer is a sign of Autumn pricing based on current hedge/forward contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,801 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I was told gas is the cheaper way to heat water

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Availablity of the deal isn't what's been discussed here. Some dual fuel BGE customers are getting over 40% discount on electricity. Also if I'm not mistaken the standing charge on Flogas has been consistently higher than BGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Some, exactly my point. Anyway enough has been said at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭bren2001

No, your point was that it was the “best” deal. It wasn’t, there was better. Then you want to introduce other variables and double down.

I think the word you’re looking for is sorry. “You were completely wrong, but it's boards where people like you thrive”. Can’t admit you were wrong / made a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Blinkey3

I’m not sure if this has been asked but I’m currently trying to switch rates. I originally signed up to a plan on Friday the Certa affinity one but the BWG went live again for dual fuel so I’ve put through a second switcher today. I was previously on the BWG dual fuel plan. I’m just wondering if anyone has advice if you think I’d need to cancel the first switcher or will the second one cancel it out? They were done within two days of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭podge3

The Flogas tariff was the best deal widely available to most people. The BGE rates were only for existing customers and Waterpower stopped taking customers ages ago.

So, for me at least, the Flogas deal saved me a lot of money over last winter as none of the others were available to me.

The previous winter, the Energia deal saved me even more. This was again thanks to people here on Boards sharing information.

Yep, I agree with what you said. Waterpower was available for quite a period and closed off a little earlier than BWG. That’s not what the other poster said. He said it was the best deal which is untrue.

I saved a good bit of cash with BWG too. It was a very good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭uli84

is this “fixed price” nonsense a new thing? It’s so annoying, either way looks like electric ireland changed our meter from MCC01 to MCC12, how is this even possible? Can they do it without informing us?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ablelocks

that's it in a nutshell - "thanks to people here on boards sharing information"

that's what makes these threads and boards so valuable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

Fixed price offers became more prevalent when wholesale prices had gone down and consumer prices were due to follow. They appealed to people who felt stressed out by the previous series of price increases and were skeptical that prices decreases would be passed on to us by suppliers (the more industry experts, politicians and journalists were announcing it, the more skeptical they were getting, some here predicted a price hike during winter despite what we know of hedging and all). Smart marketing, if you ask me.

EI can't do that on your behalf, but they're known to be tricky about it. If you enabled "smart insights" or whatever they call it on their portal, the small print says that you're in fact signing to change your MCC.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Did they offer you smart meter insights or something like that on your last renewal?

When my contract was due to end with BG they offered me an 18% discount giving me a unit rate of 39.5c including Vat, that at that time was cheaper than any other provider so I accepted it. I tried waterpower but they weren't accepting any new customers, it was email them and they'd be in touch... I'm still waiting. In April somebody here put up the link for the bwg deal of 30c I hopped on it straight away breaking my contract with BG, who in fairness didn't charge me the 50 and I had about 10 months left. AT THAT TIME bwg was the cheapest unit rate around. I was no longer a BG customer so couldn't get the 44% discounted rate, a lot of their customers didn't get it either. Many months had to pass before any provider started coming anywhere close to 30c. You are agreeing with others who are telling you what I'm telling you and disagreeing with me, very odd behaviour.

It wasn't untrue for me. Waterpower never replied to my email.

What's annoying about having a fixed price? Surely it makes it easier to budget your electric costs for the next year. If the best thing happens and somebody drops below your rate you can jump ship. Changing your meter status, now that's more than annoying, it's downright sneaky. Probably some portal skulduggery.

I agree with what others have said. However, it's not what you said. You said it was the “best” deal. There were no clauses or conditions, they came in after it was pointed out others were cheaper. You simply want to move the goalposts instead of acknowledging you made a mistake.

I’d happily let it go with anyone else but you’re the person who made the “people like you” comment.

It probably was the best deal for you. I am happy with my decision, I saved a lot with it. It was the deal that was widely available (you had to be on boards.ie or Reddit to find it tho so that's another clause for you). However it wasn't the best deal. Waterpower was better. BGE was better.

What's the issue with saying you misspoke? That the other deals were better but that's not what you meant. Or can "people like you" not do that? Do you thrive on boards in circular arguments where you keep moving the goalposts?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lads, please stop the bickering otherwise will need to issue warnings etc.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

It's all gotten very Jaws and Jaws 2 on here.

No problem. It's getting ridiculous now. I'm finished anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

Just to confirm. When I chanced it last week, there was no email gate to get an Switch submitted. As always of course, I have no idea if it's gone through or not as they never seem to send anything out and it's a case of waiting for a bill to arrive....

• Advertisement

Ah, famous “small print”, damn me, I usually read it but not this time :/ my big mistake :( still, if it’s irreversible then it shouldn’t be in small print, stupid EI

Post edited by uli84 on

You can still get a 24hr smart plan, these seem to be available from most suppliers now and are quite competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Got a link for the non-smart meter electricity only deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭robbe

Hi there,

I wonder if someone could assist. I am currently with Yuno for electricity (entered 1 year contract in January 2024) and am on the variable discount plan paying (ex VAT) 30.60c per kwhr. I don't have a smart meter yet, we had a visit about a year ago from ESB (or their sub contractors) and there was an issue installing it, according to him at the time they can't touch the box around the meter, fitted indoors, so he just headed off and we've not had anyone back since then. Standing charge with Yuno is approx €243 per annum ex VAT. I had solar panels installed in March so any surplus generated is at the full rate rather than the FIT rate, at least until they get the smart meter fitted. Pre solar install the annual consumption was around 8,000kwhr, post should be around 4,000kwhr (period from September to April would be the largest bills).

I am just wondering if anyone has cancelled their contract recently and moved for electricity only? I was on a webchat with Yuno and the cancellation fee is €50.

I moved to Energia for the gas at around the same time - current per unit price is 9.30c Ex VAT. Hard to parse through the last few pages of bickering but I wondered if I might be better off cancelling and moving or given it will be relatively (for us anyway) low consumption for a few summer months would I be better off waiting until later on to jump ship for either or both? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,801 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

use bonkers and see how much you will save by moving

The internet isn’t for everyone

is there any link still working for gas-only please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Fair play, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

was trying to sign up to the Certa affinity offer but only seems to allow 5 digits for meter reads - not sure how can get around this? Anyone else able to sign up with a meter reading in excess of 100,000?

Advertisement