Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Horses [Apple] (*SPOILERS*)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finished episodes 3 and 4, and loving the tension of this. The scripts do such a good job of giving its cast just enough competency to move forward while always having that propensity for a fúck up to ensure they're no James Bonds.

And Jackson Lamb's provision of a takeaway number has to be his finest / shíttiest moment yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The phone call was funny

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I really enjoyed season 1 but im finding season 2 far better in terms of actual plot. Superb stuff so far

I think that’s because we know the characters having seen the first series

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Pentecost

It's a top class show. I must have a look at the books.

• Advertisement

Very good ending and the next series looks good too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Loved every bit of this series and seen them all.

Only the idea of Slough House seems unrealistic at times. They would have fired them instead of putting them there in today's world, but maybe not in the 70ies or 80ies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It has been said the thinking is that Slough House is intentionally so miserable it forces the agents to just quit. I've met folks who had companies do that to avoid sacking them - but have the books shared a rationale why The Park can't just fire the people?

Obviously the real answer is : so the stories can happen about a set of total fúck-ups, but curious if they are least came up with some justification.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jackiebt

Excellent show, just finished the second season. Gary Oldman is brilliant as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RickBlaine

I didn't even know this show existed last week and it's become one of my favourite shows after binging the two seasons. Everything is top notch. I like the irony of Gary Oldman playing both Lamb here and Smiley in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - two British spies whose appearance, character and personalities could not be more different but are still excellent at what they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

Never binge watched a full series (6 episodes) of anything in one sitting before. I wasn't really expecting anything special when I watched the first episode, but absolutely loved every minute of it,

I was more disciplined with season 2. Limited myself to 2 episodes a night.

Thoroughly enjoyed every minute of both series's

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭siblers

My only criticism is that there's only 6 episodes a season. Finished season 2 with a huge smile on my face, such a great cast and you really end up pulling for Lamb's crew

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

6 episodes is short but they tip along at a good pace and no real filler.

I like the format.Never read the books but could they make a lot of these ?

Multiple seasons?

Too many episodes per series would spoil it, it doesn’t get boring with pointless love scenes etc it’s perfect imo

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Agreed, the first series was good but the ploy was ho-hum. But you can’t go wrong with KGB sleeper agents

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Only finished this over the weekend, another gem of a show on Apple TV Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

just finished series 2, it's brilliant and greatly helped by only being six 45 minutes episodes per series; it really rattles along. Glad to see also that

Jonathan Pryce's character survived S2, thought he was a goner when the Russian showed up at his cottage.

Looking forward to S3 now.

I read elsewhere that Jackson Lamb is the name of a minor character in one of the Smiley books, so a nod from the author there. I've just bought the first book on Kindle, only €2.50 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭tinytobe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,598 ✭✭✭Cartman78

How many series have they filmed?

I'm guessing Season 3 is good to go.

Just rewatched Series 1 and enjoyed it even more the second time round.

Gary Oldman singing along to the Proclaimers in the Land Rover is epic 😂

There was a few things I hadn't originally noticed or forgotten that give more context to some of the events and relationships in Series 2.

• Advertisement

Season 3 has been filmed IIRC, to the extent they had a trailer for it at then end of season 2.

This was from Wikipedia:

In June 2022, ahead of the second season premiere, the series was renewed for third and fourth seasons, which will be based on the next novels in the series, Real Tigers and Spook Street

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hugo Weaving, James Callins, Joanna Scanlon and Ruth Bradley joining season 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Loved season 1. Gary Oldman is hilariously inventive in his withering put downs; I love his rare suppressed smirks when he finally sees some genuine capability. A friend who loves the books says that the show reflects the characters to a tee.

Just watched episode 1 of season 2. Really good episode that sets the story up well straightaway, and gets you invested in both the characters and the story all over again.

Must be fairly close to s03 release at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Season 2 ended up being better than season 1 imo. Where season 1 was really good, setting up characters within a terrorist story, season goes old school with long-term strategies from the cold war crashing into the present. Although it started off interesting, it ended up intense, with the added bonus of being peppered with good humour and some laugh-out-loud moments. Everything about it makes it an excellent series.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Slow Horses season 3 will arrive on Apple TV+ from 1st December with two episodes. Then every Friday until 29th December.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,315 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 3 trailer

Starts November 29th.

Can't wait for this to return; very quickly became a favourite. Books aren't a bad read either, for those interestd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I bought all the books when they were cheap on the Kindle, on the second one now. It's notable that the TV adaptations are extremely close to the books, it's like reading a script!

Advertisement