Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spring 2022 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Obviously no one likes a dark, wet, cold miserable day. But another part of me is glad it's occurring in March. Dry January had me seriously worried about the summer.

I know it's debatable whether prolonged spells of dry autumn and winter weather mean anything about what summer will be like. But I'd much rather today being as it is on 9 March that 9 June or 9 July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cracker of an afternoon here in the West. Cargojet 767 just north of Castlebar heading for east midlands

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I was getting very worried too after the dry January and just before we entered February it looked like the high was going to last all the way into March but happy it didn't. Spring and Autumn are the two seasons I care least about so I don't mind if it rains alot during them if it means a decent summer.

I've been looking at the long range CFS every day for the past few months and my attention has now turned to May, June and July and the charts seems to be indicating a fairly unsettled summer but one with numourous plume attacks from Spain and Northern Africa across parts of Ireland and UK with the Atlantic staying just out to our north west much of the time. Some of the runs are also rather worrying to show cold unsettled shots from the north-east during June and July.

I know the CFS long range isn't worth a damn, but this year it seems warmer and more volatile looking for the summer. We have a long way to go to the summer but from what i've seen this summer could prove rather warm and humid and possibly thundery at times. August of course is not looking good with the long range models showing August to be a cool and unsettled Atlantic dominated month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭esposito

Certainties in life: Death, taxes and sh**e August weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Came home to the aftermath of a flooded garden. Paths and patio caked in mud. Bark mulch where streams of water carried it away.

Had a look at the hourly recordings, guessing it was the downpour around 9am where Moore Park recorded nearly 2cm in an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

There were other pictures circulating of people sitting on the roofs of their cars in Waterford. Alot of people caught out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Totally agree but we got some lovely weather last August for once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

We braved the school run this morning. It was very windy but thankfully only drizzly rain at that stage.

It lashed rain then for pretty much the rest of the day.

Tomorrow looks like a dry day, before the rain returns again on Friday so make the most of it!

Stunningly beautiful spring day 🌷out there.

Just back from lovely walk so treating myself to a nice slice of cake!

The rain will be back with a bang tomorrow so get out + enjoy it if you can.

Already went for two walks today to make up for yesterday.

• Advertisement

Yep me too, that's why I can enjoy this cake guilt free😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

First lunch run in weeks that i havent felt a bitter cold wind or been lashed with rain, glorious!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

It's actually been fairly gusty in cork city all evening, some strong gusts hitting the house and coming down the chimney every so often, wasn't expecting them!

Yep very gusty here aswell in NCD + the rain is back.

Back we go to the wet + stormy weather.

A day for staying in and getting jobs done at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Is it just me or does it look like the Eastern coast counties are in for a very bad storm on Sunday?

Fax charts are just showing a normal (for the time of year) windy day with some rain with the worst of the weather out west, dont really see anything special there right now. The low to the south tracks accross the west of the country

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford, Wicklow, Munster, Galway

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy rain and strong winds will bring a risk of flooding and hazardous conditions.

Valid: 15:00 Saturday 12/03/2022 to 23:30 Saturday 12/03/2022

Issued: 11:10 Friday 11/03/2022

After a wet morning its dried up here in Castlebar with good sunny spells

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Cork, Waterford, Dublin, Louth, Meath, Wexford, Wicklow

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Strong southeast winds with some severe gusts of 90 to 110km/h expected, strongest in coastal areas.
    • Valid: 15:00 Saturday 12/03/2022 to 09:00 Sunday 13/03/2022
    • Issued: 20:59 Friday 11/03/2022

A cold wet and windy afternoon esp for the south and east on Saturday afternoon and evening. Feeling raw in the easterly wind and with the wind from that direction expect posts like "worse than any named storm"

TAF for Cork Airport

BECMG 1210/1212 14020G35KT TEMPO 1213/1216 14025G42KT 3000 RA BKN008 TEMPO 1218/1224 4000 SHRA BKN010 SCT018CB

A chance of gusts over 50knots from the south east at Dublin airport later tonight

BECMG 1218/1220 15025G42KT 

PROB30 TEMPO 1304/1306 14030G52KT 

Clear cool and calm this morning, active system to the South West

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, Cork, Kerry, Tipperary, Waterford

Heavy rain this afternoon, tonight & early Sunday morning with possible localised flooding.⚠️

Valid: 15:00 Sat. 12/03/2022 to 09:00 Sunday 13/03/2022

Really luck here in North County Dublin, got out for a few hours in park as nice this morning.

Lashing here now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Torrential rain along with some severe gusts here in sw Dublin atm

Following some downpours overnight its turning into a dry day here in Castlebar

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

After a very unsettled few weeks, this week is looking alot dryer and temperatures will be improving as the week goes on, possibly reaching 16 or 17C by Saturday.

If you wish for some end of season snow head to Greece as they are on a conveyer belt of cold plunges all winter and now into the Spring too, lots more snow to come there over the coming week with yet another plunge of bitterly cold air.

Liking this chart for paddies day, could be nice and mild for the parades in Dublin, maybe even some sun if the Wicklow mountains break up the cloud to the lee.

• Advertisement

The next 2 weeks is looking reasonably mild with temperatures possibly getting up to 15 or 16C at times. However the PV is about to be demolished within the next week and the last few CFS runs seem to be taken this into account and showing a possibly very chilly April with wintry outbreaks and cold plunges lasting well into May, could we have a very cold April and May just like last year? I hope this does not verify because the fuel bills are just insane at the moment.

Lovely day again in Cork, decent start to 2022 with only 2/3 of the LTA rainfall.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Happy St. Patrick's Day. Lovely sunrise in Greystones to greet the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭OldRio

Stunning photo Docarch.

A typical st paddys day here in the whest. Cloudy , damp, low vis ,rain/drizzle. High stool and horses

Well at last a lovely mild St. Patrick's Day here in North County Dublin.

The local parade was busiest it has ever been, the nice weather definitely helped.

It's cloudy now with odd rain shower but still nice and mild.

Clear and sunny but cool in a gusty SE wind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

The government must have been using the CFS model planning this double Bank Holiday weekend 😊

A peach of a day in Meath, unbroken gin blue skies and not a puff of wind. Wish everyday was like this between now and the first half of November!

Overcast but quite pleasant in Cork. Ull take it for mid March 🙂 next few days look sunnier and warmer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Have covid so stuck at home but thank god I have an outdoor space it's just beautiful. Getting my tan on in Ireland in March, whoda thunk it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Unreal day here in Meath.

BBQ cleaned out & some lovely steaks on.

This weekend and weather is giving me flashbacks to 2020 lockdown 1.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fantastic day here in Kerry, breezy to windy all day but sunshine from dawn to dusk, max of 16.1C at my site out by the coast,often do well from the SE on days like this.

NASA Sat Pic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭OldRio

Fierce wind taking the edge off the temp. Lovely sun but you need to be in the shade.

Another lovely day in Meath but definitely more chill in the air compared to yesterday. The coming week looks mostly dry and settled but the sea breezes will make it feel fairly cool at times but hopefully plenty of sunshine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Blowing a gale in Kerry, This from Radio Kerry "Killarney Gardai are advising people in the area between Mangerton and the Devils Punchbowl in Killarney to exercise extreme caution.

The area is experiencing unnatural winds."

The wind in East Cork is unpleasant. A cold easterly and gusting 50kmh.

Unfortunately cool winds will take any warmth out of the sun for much of the coming week, this is the problem with easterlies/south-easterlies until June. If only we could get these high pressure spells with light south-westerly winds it would feel significantly warmer.

The wind in Dublin is doing my head in. Not nice walking in it despite the sun and gin blue sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement