Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rural hubs for remote workers... €60 per week to use!

• 22-02-2022 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭

I'm a rural dweller and I think I'll be a long-term remote worker, so I had been looking forward to the introduction of these rural hubs. Health wise I think it would be great to get out of the house a little more and socialize, and I think if done right this kind of scheme could really breath life back into small villages.

I was so disappointed then to see what this scheme, which if I recall correctly, was one of the central pillars of the program for Government, looks like after we got a first peek yesterday.

Aside from the website not really working, the real disappointment was the price quoted by my local hub for a desk.... €12.50 per day. Who can afford that? I can't realistically see anybody much using this service at these prices, so why are we pumping so much money into it?

If you look through the article they talk about the transformative effect this is going to have, allowing for tens of thousands of workers to work from the countryside. Not a hope! As dark and dank as my spare room/office year there's no way I could afford €60 a week for a decent office, effectively I'd be paying to work!

I don't have much faith in this government but I naively believed they would get this somewhat right. It would have been such an easy win for them. How difficult could it be to provide basic offices at a minimal cost, given the state's resources and the related costs they already have towards climate, transport, rural development, dublin congestion and competitiveness, mental health and so on.

For me this just feeds into the narrative that this lot are utterly incompetent, Dublin centric and elitist. I mean €12.50 a day is nothing if you're on a CEO's or TD's salary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I'd have a totally different view to yourself - I've used these hubs in the past quite a bit and €60 per week is an absolute bargain. Especially considering what the commute to my head office was - €50 in diesel a week alone.

If you have a home office you might only want the desk for a day or two a week. I used it when I was having work done in my house and when broadband was a problem.

But I know you can't appease everyone, and regardless of what the government do or don't do you will have people saying it is too much or too little.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That's cheap.

Market rate is more like €100 per week where I live.

How much will you save in travel costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'll be saving nothing on travel costs. I'll be staying in my dank little spare room.

I can see though that if you had a very long commute and no home space this might be attractive. But do we need to provide tens of thousands of these spaces for what must be quite a small number then of potential users.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

36.90 a day for me.open 9 to 5.30 so not much good.

Edit: Never mind. I had a look at the connecting site for it. Wasn't impressed. In my midlands area, there's only a meeting room costing 65 euro per hour...

That's just wonderful for something gaining so much State support. And yes, they're operated by businesses, so it's not really a service provided by the govt. More of a initiative to link existing centres.

• Advertisement

I can't see that there'd be tens of thousands of people having work done at home at the same time.

A good few of these facilities already in place, I don't think we need more unless there's mass appeal. I think the one near me is empty most of the time.

What's an internet cafe? Haven't seen one of those in years!

I know there will be a cost to running these, especially if they have to be staffed. But do we need to build them then if they won't be used? Are they just a rural internet cafe? What's the point in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think these kind of defeat the purpose of wfh- no company that is sanctioning wfh will be bothered whether you do it from a hone office or these hubs- but will be far more reticent to stump up a weekly fee plus pay for a central office that you aren’t in already.

Unless you have no at home office facilities then these serve little purpose in my opinion. They are almost obsolete with the likes of Microsoft teams etc now

the one near me is really busy, it has a mix of hot desks and small full time offices. Great kitchen, coffee facilities, meeting rooms and small pods for making calls etc. Open 24/7 as well.

Another great use for it was booking meeting rooms - a few times I'd have customers or colleagues meet me there rather than having to go to the head office in Dublin.

Did you pay for it from your own pocket, or your employer?

Where people do use the one near me I think they're mostly funded training courses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That's brilliant, there's 1 near me that's €10 a day or €40 a week, I'll definitely be going there some days during the holidays when the children are off.

Have a look at the main site: https://connectedhubs.ie/

Honestly, the original article is kinda misleading.

A bit of both. When I am meeting clients I'd expense the cost of the meeting room. I had a month of building work going on in my house a couple of years back and spent the month working there as the noise would have been mental in the house and the other option was to go to the head office.

These do not replace offices or home offices - they are another option for smart / remote working. Days on end in a pokey spare room office isn't good for anyone and even a day or two of mixing with others in a hub is very enjoyable.

My wife has no interest in going in to the hub - she has been WFH for over a decade and has a purpose built office in the house so is happy out there.

It's great for you personally. I just don't think then it warrants being such a cost and priority if this is the use case.

This falls into the "pack of smokes" index for me. If something is cheaper than a pack of smokes, then it's a fairly trivial daily amount for a lot of people in Ireland.

that isn't the only use case. These hubs will develop in to small communities of small / micro businesses and remote workers. Sharing ideas, splitting infrastructure costs and more importantly keeping people living and working in regional towns.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If there's even vague demand in an area, 12.50 a day is not going to stop it being booked solid. Fraction of the commuting cost for most people.

Plenty of employers will pay that, or even twice that (125/week was the limit in a job I worked in before, pre COVID too) for the saving on paying for an actual desk space in a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Looks promising what you're getting for your money 😀

Photo taken from an article on that booking site about the minister launch yesterday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Considering I wouldn't have to heat the house or use as much power (laptop, chargers, coffee machine) I'd imagine the €10 isn't that much really.

It's not something I'll probably use that often but it's a brilliant service to have available, the 1 here is ran by the Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Advertisement

that is the Mill in Drogheda - and those pods are really good - single person, two person and 4 person pods.

It's not a private service so I don't think that really applies, and before you accuse me of looking for a freebie, bear in mind my tax dollars are funding it anyway. For me personally though I wouldn't pay more than a euro or two above the cost of ESB and heating the spare room for the work hours*. I'll be paying for broadband anyway.

Maybe I've grossly misjudged how much disposable income people have, but I just can't see the uptake unless it's a nominal fee.

And if it doesn't have considerable uptake I don't see the point of it, not at this cost and priority. Sure it's a nice to have for people already remote working, and I can see that and I might even use it myself the odd time, if say we had visitors using the spare room or what not.

As a public expenditure though I can't see the benefit unless it has a transformative effect and that's what this has been sold as (see article). I don't see that it would really help convince somebody to stop commuting. I don't that think it would really make somebody think about opening a shop, garage or creche in a small town or village unless it draws a mass of people in. If there's people working remotely already, it's not going to bring them to a shared space to save on the c02 of otherwise heating individual homes.

So another waste really especially given that some those derelict buildings might have gone towards housing.

*I see Clareman has already given a figure of €10 for this. I'd put it at €2 or so. He really needs to look at his energy usage, Eamon Ryan might want a word.

The problem with having it too low is that people will just book it and not use it, the pack of cigarettes analogy is a very good 1, these places aren't going to be money makers but they supply a service that the private sector normally does, have a look at cafe's, hotel reception areas to see people working away, for those as old as me you might even remember Internet Cafe's. At €40 for the week that's just about €1 per working hour, considering you have a heated, safe, secure, powered location with internet for that price it's great value for in my opinion.

Yes a lot of people can just hang out in a spare room, but I would counterargue that a lot of people don't have that luxury, it might have been acceptable during lock down for people to make do working from their room or share a kitchen table but as we move out of lockdowns employers mightn't want employees to be working under those conditions or mightn't even want them in the office 5 days a week, at a tenner a day for me the hub is cheaper than commuting.

This could be game changing, especially if you were working with a company willing to pay a portion or all of the costs.

People could just be blocked from using it if they misuse it, doesn't justify making it unaffordable for the majority.

Comparing it to hotel lobbies doesn't stand up either, they're not going to scale up if a lot of people start working from home. And I haven't heard anyone from a rural businesses saying please don't take away our trade in people having a cup of coffee and hanging around for a days free WiFi

I can't take seriously your argument on cost, considering I calculate you spend about 10k per year on energy bills.

I will allow that not everyone has a spare room, but I don't think this is attractive enough to keep you out of the office in that case. And it doesn't support this being transformative enough to bring tens of thousands of people to these hubs.

I'd be delighted if my company were willing to meet some or all of the costs. I can't see it happening considering how reluctant they've been to cough up substantially for office equipment/heating.

And it's quite a risk if that's the success factor on something as costly and high priority as this has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

Ah seriously? You get fcuk all for €12.50 and most people would save that on petrol.....also how much is your time worth that you're saving?

People will moan about anything, what do you think is a fair price?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Doasisaynotwhatido

Free considering we the tax payers are paying for these hubs already.

If people don't want to pay it, they they don't pay it. I work from home full time and will do for the foreseeable future, on a couple of occasions I've had to call to family to take a call, people have used my place as well, stuff happens, having a facility like this is a great asset. In Clare for example people might want to come on holidays here, broadband or office facilities mightn't be in place where people are going, now there's an option. This is a service for those that need it, bit like libraries, not for everyone but it's a service for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,868 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I honestly think €12.50 very reasonable. This includes light, heat, broadband etc. A bargain imo

Advertisement