Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Franklin - Sunday 20th/Monday 21st Feb 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Donegal Airport forecasting strong winds this afternoon with a chance of gusts of up to 60 knots

TAF EIDL 200800Z 2009/2018 26025G45KT 9999 -RA BKN010 

BECMG 2011/2013 28025G45KT SCT012 

BECMG 2013/2015 28035G55KT SHRAGS SCT018CB 

PROB30 TEMPO 2015/2018 29040G60KT 

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ascophyllum

That is fairly bizarre leaving Mayo on yellow warning but including Clare in orange, I haven't seen anything on any model to suggest this.

I don't mean to be overly critical of Met Eireann and will happily acknowledge if they're correct, just wondering about where they're getting their data.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Already the winds this morning are stronger than Eunice here in SW Donegal. I nipped down to mother at first light to check all is OK and do the usual pre bad weather checks. It looks and feels like its going to be a rough 24 hours here.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Way worse than storm Eunice for us in South East Co Galway!! Barely slept last night with the strength of the winds.

This feel like it could be orange territory. Have to drive to a funeral later…I don’t even like the thought of the cat being out in this!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Miss Stormyseas

I think looking at earth null weather it looks like Clare’s strong winds are coming from a different weather system and their orange warning starts 11 hours earlier than NW coasts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,619 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Could be some snow around tonight.

Shortlived but more interest by Wed night when a more prolonged spell of wintry weather could occur (prolonged in winter 21/22 means a day lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ascophyllum

Thanks, I see that now on GFS, still looks equal or less than what Mayo will get all evening, interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

STATUS ORANGE - WIND WARNING FOR ANTRIM, DOWN, DERRY, TYRONE

Met Office UK Weather Warning

A swathe of very strong west to northwesterly winds will reach the north coast of Northern Ireland late on Sunday evening, quickly moving south into the early hours of Monday. Gusts of 60-70 mph are expected widely and perhaps 80 mph briefly near exposed northern coasts. Winds will ease steadily from the northwest during Monday morning.

Valid: 00:00 Monday 21/02/2022 to 07:00 Monday 21/02/2022

Issued: 09:43 Sunday 20/02/2022

Bumpy day in the air also. Sigmet in place

EISN SIGMET 03 VALID 200700/201100 EINN-
    EISN SHANNON FIR SEV TURB FCST SE OF LINE N5425 W01118 - N5255
    W01500 SFC/FL060 MOV E 30KT NC=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭esposito

I’ll take it at this stage. Wed night/Thursday that is

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

this is turning out to be more severe than Eunice 😯 - east clare

Windy at Shannon and going to ramp up in the evening. Currently :

EINN 201030Z 24033G47KT 5000 -RA BKN011 BKN015 12/10 Q0996

A line of very heavy squally rain currently in a line from Galway to Cavan moving south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

Very blustery here near Whitechurch, Co. Cork in the past hour. As bad as it has been all week (though there is more daylight). Wouldn't be surprised if there were more trees down around the county today as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Miss Stormyseas

Which is exactly where I am! 🙈 🌊 I see Galway and Mayo have now also been added to the Orange warning

⚠️An Orange wind warning is in place for Galway & Mayo on Sunday from 15:00 until Monday at 03:00.

#StormFranklin will cause severe & damaging gusts. Coastal flooding possible🌊

More info 👇

https://t.co/f7s8kjhWEQ https://t.co/HWaFVdea2b

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Much impact to the South East or East forecast with this one? I know we're in a yellow warning until 9am tomorrow but Met Eireann's warnings have been all over the place for us the past while. Right now there's light gusts but not anything remotely warranting a yellow warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Was expecting that anyway, couldn't see how we'd escape the worst of the winds here in Mayo. Hopefully we won't go into high end orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm a bit confused about this weather system. Red weather warnings are issued when there are widespread winds gusting over 130 km/h. Red warnings are also issued when mean winds are to reach or exceed violent storm force 11. From what I can tell (correct me if I'm incorrect), both of those criteria are being forecast by Met Eireann to be met yet no red warning is being issued.

I'm obviously missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭adocholiday

11am TAFs max gusts

Shannon 55 knots between 5pm-11pm

Knock 55 knots with a chance of 60 knots after midnight.

Both Donegal and Sligo have a chance of 60 knots this afternoon. Current TAF only goes out to 6pm for them.

So a wild evening /night ahead for the areas mentioned but even Dublin airport mentions gusts up to 50 knots overnight so windy everywhere but stormy out west.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Drove Dublin to Galway late last night (1am+). It was wild on the M6 with the cross winds. Thankfully it wasn't that wet.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cork Airport forecasting gusts from 12-3 up to 55kts, wasn't expecting that really

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Worth putting in here also ( as I write a massive squally shower going through ).

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Sun 20 Feb 2022 - 05:59 UTC Mon 21 Feb 2022

ISSUED 08:07 UTC Sun 20 Feb 2022

ISSUED BY: Dan

A diffluent upper trough will drive a cold front southeastwards across Britain and Ireland through Sunday. Surface dewpoints of 8-9C are expected ahead of the cold front, with air temperatures likely to peak around 11-14C. A reasonable wind veer is simulated along the cold front (although not as sharp as some other events so far this autumn/winter season). There are also hints a wave may develop near northern England/north Midlands and exit to the North Sea. In any case, this setup bears quite a few similarities with 25th January 2014 squall line. High-resolution model guidance suggests the potential for broken line segments (perhaps even more than one line), initially embedded within a broader precipitation shield, but through the afternoon it is anticipated much of this will be eroded as a pronounced dry intrusion races eastwards across Wales and the Midlands, accompanied by a strengthening pre-frontal low level jet. This may provide extra impetus for convection to intensify as it moves across the East Midlands into East Anglia and SE England, and this in conjunction with strong forcing and modest CAPE suggests arguably a better chance of some lightning activity than compared with many other line convection events so far this season.

It should be noted that confidence on much in the way of lightning is still rather low, since convection will be limited in vertical extent generally below 5km (16,000ft), but a couple hundred J/kg CAPE condensed into this comparatively shallow layer should, in conjunction with strong low-level forcing, provide some fast upward motion - a low-end SLGT has been introduced, although realistically the risk is considered below SLGT threshold. The strong low-level shear/vorticity in the vicinity of the frontal boundary then subjected to vertical stretching suggests the risk of one or two isolated tornadoes, especially given increasing speed with height and resultant looping hodographs. In addition, high momentum air from strong flow aloft may be brought down to the surface in squalls, bringing the risk of brief damaging 70mph gusts (perhaps locally higher).

Showers will quickly follow the cold front and will persist through much of the remainder of the forecast period. These are likely to produce hail in places (and snow) and perhaps a few odd lightning strikes, more especially near exposed western coasts and where showers are forced over hills as they move inland. The main focus will be western Ireland where a favourable overlap of CAPE and shear will exist, but also potentially western Scotland. Other areas of interest during the evening/night hours include NW England and the Bristol Channel into Somerset/north Devon, although the strong low-level flow will probably prevent any substantial convergence developing. In all cases, high momentum air may be brought down to the surface in the vicinity of showers bringing an ongoing threat of damaging winds. A SVR has been introduced for the risk of localised damaging gusts of wind, but also the chance of one or two isolated tornadoes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Can read the full text here https://www.estofex.org/

Scotland, northern England and Wales, Ireland...

The upper-level vorticity maximum on the polar side of the leading part of the jet streak is followed by a second one, which can better be described as a low-to mid-level vorticity maximum with a deep, but slowly filling surface low. This system causes destabilization that will invigorate a second area of convection approaching Scotland and Ireland between 21 and 00 UTC. Because it is embedded in a particularly strong flow and linear organisation is likely as it moves southward after midnight UTC, a level 3 was issued for the area that will be affected. Very severe gusts exceeding 32 m/s will be fairly widespread with the convection, also across areas somewhat further inland. That being said, the convection is not the only culprit: especially the coastal regions of western Scotland and in the north of Ireland will also experience such severe gusts outside of convective storms as a result of the very tight pressure gradient.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Fierce heavy showers of rain with squally/stormy winds in North Kerry..worst at times than storm Eunice

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the wind and the rain as i type this is 'Biblical' like Armageddon out there 😲 - east clare

the windows are vibrating and the sheets of rain are horizontal, no word of a lie

• Advertisement

Front now crossing the country with the colder airmass and shower field behind it, this is when the winds get going and the storm set to track over Scotland later tonight /early Monday morning producing the strongest winds. Models are fairly even now, no major change in the last couple of runs I think.

Couple of the models more prone to higher wind speeds are showing Donegal well in the Red warning level from later tonight into Mon morning but on balance probably high end Orange with some higher gusts possible on the coasts.

Advertisement