Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Ireland Run

Options
  • 17-02-2022 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

I entered this race in 2020 and then it was cancelled due to Covid. I see there was a virtual version in 2021. I can't quite figure out from my mailbox if the entry was rolled over to that virtual race or if it's valid for this year like the race series. Anyone know here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Mine is showing as "cancelled" in eventmaster, think they refunded it in early 2021 once they knew it wasn't going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I see that now in eventmaster - nice one. I hadn't actually clicked into the 'view order' part where it says cancelled as opposed to complete in the rollover ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭sk8board

Anyone know what the ‘new’ 10k course is in the Phoenix park for this years Great Ireland Run?

Edit: scratch that - I found it here:

https://www.facebook.com/51011000750/videos/the-great-ireland-run-2022-route/317411777117536/

1300 at this Saturday, down from approx 7000 in it's heyday a decade ago. Does everything AI touch turn to sh*te?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Saturday morning. Clashes with parkrun. Lost at least 15-20 from my home parkrun alone because of that.

Also it was poorly advertised.

• Advertisement

Exactly, used to be on a Sunday lunchtime, used to be well advertised. AI take over and everything falls apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I'm open to correction but I could have sworn the race used to be televised a number of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Runster

AI involvement strikes again. Farcical scenes as many entrants waiting on numbers and a last minute request for people to collect them Sat afternoon for a national 10k race....

You'd think they would have spent some of their stealth tax on some staff who can organise things properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

My number hasn't arrived yet. Unless it arrives tomorrow I'll have to head up early to collect it on Sunday. I wonder if I'll be able to get a refund for the postage I paid for?

• Advertisement

Just read the Great Limerick Run, unconnected to GIR has sold up to bear group.

Nothing against the new organisation as they run a good ship but you'd worry for the future of larger races, in that it becomes either a monopoly or so restrictive between insurance and costs Vs the bottom line that the quantity and quality of events on offer reduces.

Hopefully the small organisers around the country continue to last out the uncertain times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I am not in the park, but have heard from 2 people, the course was well short. Distance ran was about 8.5 km. Winner finished in 24 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭Trampas

seems like they sent them the wrong way around 2km. Instead of going back by the start they send them down to papal cross.

Waits for some apology on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

They issued an apology over the PA system. They also said it wouldn't be counted as the National Championship. Must be very disappointing for runners who traveled far distances to get to it.

That's what people are paying a two euro levy on races for, some **** ownership of it and reliable organisation. Dickheads in AI will issue a mealy mouthed apology on Facebook and draw a line under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

AAI will hide and blame DCH for this I guarantee it, AAI need to take full responsibility for this, it is an absolute shambles. I am sure that a number of clubs outside of Leinster would of had athletes staying up over night last night to compete in this event.

It says alot about AAI in general that something like this had happened, no doubt all the officials who should be at this were on a jolly down to the AAI Congress meeting this weekend.

They were trying to blame a rookie garda at the finish area.

The junction of furze Road/Chesterfield had about 20 spectators blocking it so to a lead bike it looked like the route was to go straight. It was literally the 3rd turn on the route and it wasn't marked in any way what so ever. And there wasn't a single Marshall in the vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭JoeCole26

Absolute shambles altogether.

Had a look at the route map when I got home and looks like we went the wrong way altogether. At 2km-2.5km we should have turned right back down Furze Rd? but continued straight meaning we ran the course backwards! Wasn’t too bad for me as I live in Dublin, but really feels like a waste of a morning, can’t imagine how people who travelled to Dublin feel about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Course always looked like it could pose an issue in this event. I’d guess a failure to communicate, but there’s no excuse for whoever is leading out the race not to go in the correct direction.

Well the lead bike went the right way by all accounts. But the course wasn't marshalled correctly. There was a group of 20 spectators stood across the furze road/Chesterfield Junction and zero marhsalls. That's the problem. That Junction wasn't set up properly just like in the race series half last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Sandwell

What a balls up. I met some heads from Inishowen AC on my way back to the car. They were absolutely livid and rightly so after all the travel and costs involved in getting there. I think the first lady would have come from their club had the Champs not been voided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

How did it go the right way? It and everyone following went the wrong way. Lead car / bike needs to know the course. Stewards / Marshalls also need to know the course but they are not leading it out. Always good to have someone connected with the race lead it out as well as a Garda bike. It’s not the first time it’s happened. It’s a communication issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Garda bike by all accounts did go the correct way but the leader runner didn't think it was correct and lead the field the wrong way.

Ah yeah, sure blame the runner and the Garda....

No mention of a lack of stewards at a national race? Social media comments turned off on their Facebook and Twitter too, North Korea would be proud of them.

I didn't see any marshals at the junction were we were meant to turn right. There was a load of spectators stood blocking it. Course should have been properly set up and that area should have been aligned properly well before the start.

No need to be touchy. I didn't blame the Garda, ultimately it's the responsibility of the organisers. Due to their **** show and mismanagement it lead to the runners believing they were going the correct way despite the Garda going the other way. It's an explanation, not a blame.

With no marshalls there how were they even going to manage the pack coming around for a second time

Not trying to get at you at all, just pointing out that AI will try to scapegoat someone instead of taking responsibility for their championship races.

They made sure to fire out a mailshot asking for their race series entrants to buy t-shirts this afternoon.....

Ok, a misunderstanding on your post.

I did see that mailshot and twitter post soon after re. the t-shirts with them celebrating the runners that finished the 10k which gave me a laugh.

15-20 barriers to control that area could have been set up in the several hours beforehand and then the 4 or 5 on the main road removed once everyone had gone through for when we came back that way around the 8k mark.

Not rocket science.

• Advertisement

I know, it should have been simple, they weren't even prepared for coming through a second time.

Advertisement