Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hobby farming encouraged

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I'd view what I do as hobby farming. Small suckler herd & farm which I do as an interest in breeding & the enjoyment really of it. Any profit is reinvested to avoid tax and honestly doesn't bother me if it does or doesn't make. I spend way more money on playing golf & at times that can be far more stressful than farming. I've a good, well paid off farm job which helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,254 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well the other scenario is of a fella who is just working his own place, living at home - Full time farmer?

Meets a girl who is a teacher. Starts going out with her - Full time farmer?

She moves in with him - Full time farmer?

They get married - Full time farmer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,254 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Is Michael O'Leary a hobby farmer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

last autumn a gang of us got talking to a gang of Waterford/Kilkenny people in the pub in Galway city. They were farmers aswel as us so lots in common. One guy said I dunno how ye farm up here, I saw nothing but stoney land on the way up. I said, if you go 10 miles ne of the city it’s pure bog, 20 miles east you get a vein of land that’s not equalled in country.

im sure every county is the same but there is a massive difference in land in Galway. That’s one reason farm organisations can’t fight for all anymore. The Connemara farmer with a few hundred acres is pushing hard for convergence, while there are farms east Of the city that are set to lose out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A lot of good farmers in east Galway thet are losing out and going to lose out badly and a lot of farmers in connemara are going to get paid 200+ha for farming one ewe per hectare poorlyover a massive amount of land,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

When you find that teacher you might point her my direction, wouldn't mind being a part time farmer then lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Your view of the CAP is 30 years out of date - it has moved on from bulk commodity production to supporting sustainable land management. A good thing too that needs to be accelerated if margins are to be preserved across the industry and fairness brought in to a perverse system loaded in favour of fat cats, big agribusiness etc.,

PS: Its no wonder there is growing hostility on this page and elsewhere to IFA policies when their mouth pieces here and elsewhere continually insult farmers doing their best on poor land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,168 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

good land more than good farmers.

Easy to farm good land.

Slightly cheeky of me but it's a generalization as well.

Post edited by Danzy on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

I often wondered about that vein of good land. I'm not very familiar with the area, but is it the same vein that runs from about Claremorris down to Athenry? Or is it bigger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

My mothers people come from around Hollymount - all that vein of land is excellent well drained limestone and is basically an extension of the Burren region in a slightly altered form but with many turloughts and areas of limestone pavement etc. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭n1st

I wonder if hobby farming suits poor agriculture areas better than full-time or part-time farmers.

Trying to squeeze money out of bog and rock may not be ideal for people, land, ecosystems.

Also I don't believe the current young generation of people are interested in carrying on the part-time model for example, maybe hobby would suit better I.e. no profit.

Post edited by n1st on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

ya that’d be it. Goes a bit further south than athenry too. Corofin Area would have exceptional land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Who needs farming, industry or tourism when we have global corpos paying taxes in Ireland and we can buy whatever we want without doing anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Grueller

Never rely on a wealthy spouse or a trust fund. You never know when either may run out. Add multi national corporations to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭older by the day

Lots of the suckler farmers down here are being helped by there pensions. They have as much interest in there cows and calves as the lad down the road with 350 milking cows. I know an 86 ye old man with six cows and he is giving in the bales himself. Whether hobbyist or full time who gives a sheet as long as it makes them happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭alps

And good for him. Plenty paying gym membership for the bit of exercise, but hardly any 86 yo's going to the gym..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Who2

My old man isn’t quite 86 he’s 82 but feeds the cattle a little bit and goes to the gym an odd time. It could be for the young ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭YellowRattle

If there were a lot more small hobby farmers it would certainly go along way to repopulate and revigorate rural areas. In a way it would go back to how it was a century ago with many a small holder.

Difference is that the owners would not be reliant on the land for income.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JoeCasey

Unless you have 5 Steps up into your tractor, are you even a farmer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

How many of these hobby farmers would stick at it year in year out, just look at the situation with puppies every christmas, what is so wrong with farming for an income, if people paid properly for food farmers wouldn't feel the need to exploit every square inch of their land

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭alps

Lifestyle blocks they're known as in other countries..

Have you any idea how manicured they are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Grueller

Those 60 somethings catch his eye every time!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Depends on the farmer, Plenty of farmers like me who'll keep the hedges tidy no matter what and farm every acre, but there's a huge proportion of this country ''let grow wild'' Everyone is different. There's plenty there for wildlife

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭divillybit

I drove up through Arigna and the Kilronan mountain today on the Roscommon Sligo border. Quite a remote area. I saw many derelict cottages or ruins of houses, just though that people were remarkable back in the day to build there and make some sort of a living off a tough landscape without any of the basics we take for granted like running water. Saw more wind turbines than sheep.

Advertisement