Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopting a dog

Options
  • 13-02-2022 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

I was thinking of adopting a dog from the <snip> or <snip>. I know certain places do regular checks after adoption. Has anyone been in this situation and did you feel that the dog belonged to you properly, or did you feel that the dog still belonged to the rescue centre etc, because of the regular checks they do. That is the only thing that is putting me off, that I wouldn't feel the dog was mine.

Post edited by Cherry Blossom on

Comments

I adopted a dog from a dogs home in Dublin 14 years ago, they came out to check the house before they gave me the dog. They rang once after I took him. That was it. There's no way rescue centres are going out checking the hundreds of dogs they rehome!

Only reason I could see for regular follow ups of any kind would be if the dog has behavioural issues, but even then most of that work would be done up front by having you meet the dog in the pound a few times before taking him/her home.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Graceland

I agree with them coming out to check the house as it's important for them to know a dog is going to a good safe home. I don't even mind them checking a couple of times after this, but not for the rest of the dogs life. But it would make sense what you said about them having to check the hundreds of dogs that they rehome.

Yes that would make sense if the dog had behavioural issues.

They couldn't possibly be able to!

If they rehome a dog to a good home, that's their job done and they are happy! If anything were to ever change in your life, they would take the dog back also.

Happy hunting, I hope you find your wee doggie soon 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭piplip87

Cannot recommend <snip> enough we adopted our first from there. The girls are brilliant.

One of the girls is a neighbor of mine so we often meet her out on walks and the dog always has a kiss for her.

Now saying that our dog was badly treated before he was rescued so all he needed was love and patience.

We have had no follow up checks so to speak but we would see one of the employees fairly regularly as mentioned above.

Post edited by Cherry Blossom on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Just a reminder to all posters, as per the forum charter you may not name, recommend or discuss the policies of individual rescues on this forum. If people continue to do so the thread will have to be locked. Please keep your replies general or take it to pm.

Thanks,

CB.

Sorry, I didn't realise you couldn't mention the names. Will know in future.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I have adopted 4 dogs - from 3 different rescues.

Was only homechecked for the first one and that was by someone from a 4th Rescue. All the other rescues accepted my status as 'good to go'.

I did offer to long-term foster a pup with a life threatening condition and the main person in that rescue dropped him off personally to see where he would be living. Tbh I think this was more as his life expectancy was months and she expected to never see him again. She was very fond of him.

I fully feel all my dogs are mine.

And none of the Rescue's ever made me feel any different.

In fact when I enquired about the possibility of getting potentially life saving surgery for the sick foster pup the Rescue in question said they trusted my judgement completely. I raised the money myself, he had the surgery, and I officially adopted him.

The dog will be yours.

Unless there are issues the Rescue will trust nothing has changed. They don't have the time to do follow up on every dog so have to trust the adopters.

Most rescues like to get the odd update - a photo sent to their FB page for example - but that's up to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

We adopted a pup last summer. Had to provide photos of the back garden to prove it was secure. Then got a phone call about 3 weeks after we got him checking that all was well and that we were happy and no regrets. We did some training with them afterwards but there has been no "checking in" since that one call.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have a problem sending updated photos to their Facebook page. It is something I would like doing, to let them know how well my dog was getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Do all the rescue places have rules on ages of kids? Ours are 4 who talks about his dog Guinness every **** day and my youngest is nearly 2 and dog mad

My wife always had at least two dogs growing up. Have a back garden and live right in front of a massive big green area

Any advice appreciated. Looking for something mid sized

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

depends to be honest .. some do .. some don’t! the over 10/12kids rule is normally for rescues dogs to try and prevent any possible negative situations but where puppies are concerned I believe they are more flexible.

Reach out to numerous ones and see what they say .. be prepared to travel a bit though .. I live east coast and my beautiful rescue springer came from a rescue on the west coast .. bed drive I ever took was bringing him home ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I think 2 is a bit young to be around a dog. Isn’t the child going to be poking and pulling at it, be honest. They haven’t enough sense. Two young kids, will the adults have time for a dog? A good walk every day? You can’t just stick the dog out into the back garden for hours on end.

I grew up with a dog. I had absolutely no idea how much time they needed until I got one myself as my parents did all the work when I was growing up. They really need a lot of time and attention. If you’re determined, I would suggest fostering for one of the many rescues which don’t have premises. I know someone who has done this and it has been an eye opener. They won’t be taking another one.

Sorry for my possible negativity but I just think that many people don’t realise that a dog is more than a furry toy with a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

My wife doesnt work so time isnt an issue and we live literally 20 yards from a pretty big park and 100 yards from the canal

My 2 year old is very used to been around dogs from her grannys and is very good with them after much training.

So that is why the nature of the dog is most important

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

the dog will be yours once the paperwork is complete i adopted a lurcher 4 years ago recently the officer on the case text me to ask how he was doing and to send her a photo, he had been picked up as near death & she had fostered him herself as he was soo bad. She was over the moon to see how well he was doing. Most folk in the rescues are volunteers and they are up to their eyes loads of dogs being surrendered you will be a godsend to them a good person & a nice home good on you & good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

I'm finding it extremely difficult to contact some of the dog adoption places both online and Facebook. I've sent numerous messages, adoption forms and emails, yet nobody seems to be getting back to me. I understand that the majority of people are volunteers!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

Dont be concerned believe me they dont have time to call again they are up to their eyebrows with covid surrenders on top of cruelty cases. As soon as you get your dog he is yours lock stock & barrel I am involved in rescue its never ending and tragic thank you for adopting you are one of the good ones !

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

Best approach is fill out the adoption paperwork stress you want a particular dog and can collect asap they need space but the fact that volunteers work for them paperwork gets over looked in a change of shift. Keep trying they need you . In the last two weeks i have seen french bulldog, springe,r pointer, jack russell, bull terrier all surrendered all cost huge money its awful keep trying. Please you could also visit a rescue personally and meet the folks there and see many more dogs than featured on line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

I have recently adopted a cat from a large shelter (they look after dogs, cats, rabbits, gerbils etc) in Dublin. It was a very simple procedure.

1. Have a look at their website and apply online if interested in a certain pet.
    2. Go to the shelter and ask if you can meet the pet in their enclosure to see how you gel.
    3. Reserve pet in shelter, fill in application form online and arrange collection date.
    4. Fill in paper work, pay the adoption fee and off you go with your new friend.
    5. Sometimes there are home checks as well (either online via whatsapp video or in person)

That's it.

So, it's been over 2 months and I've applied for 5 dogs on various adoption sites. Not one reply or confirmation of my adoption forms. I've even contacted them directly via email and Facebook, yet I never get a response. I've given up now and will look to purchase a dog from a breeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Have you tried your local pound?

Yes, but nothing suitable unfortunately. We have a very small dog already, so can't get something too big as she's terrified of large dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭hamburgham

There are at least three in Dublin which you could visit in person. They have far more dogs than appear on the website.

So from first hand experience I know that popular dogs in rescue centers are booked very quickly- 2 months isn’t a huge amount of time given that if you think about it, there’s probably 10-15 people chasing the same sort of dogs that you’re looking for.

There’s a few things you need to do:

1. make yourself known in person to the people running the center- email is no good you need to take the time to visit the center and they need to get to know you a little bit - centers are mainly run by volunteers- they may not be organised enough to properly manage their communication channels- in person is always best
    2. When you meet them ask about the sort of dogs you’re interested in- how often do they come in? What’s the waiting list like?
    3. Try not to be too limiting in your request I.e small cute dog doesn’t shed, house trained, excellent health, no more than 2 years old- you’ll be waiting a long time if that’s your wish list
    4. Visit the rescue center regularly- you never know, a dog that you hadn’t considered may just pick you- and that will be that
    5. By visiting regularly you also get to see dogs possibly for the first time before anyone else, if they have arrived in the last few days- often dogs rescued need a level of care before being advertised for adoption.
    6. Finally, whilst you know your existing dog better than we do, just because the rescue dog is on the small side doesn’t mean theyll get along- so check with the center and see if you can bring your own dog on the visits- you might be surprised what he/she will like

Great tips! Thanks. Unfortunately due to location and work circumstances, I'm not able to pop into some of these centres. I only have 1 small centre near me anyway and have already visited. Anything I see that looks suitable is usually on the various FB pages or websites.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We recently adopted a cat from a shelter in Dublin, even though we're based in Cork. I can't praise them highly enough. We filled out a form and were contacted within a couple of days, arranging a virtual home tour a couple of days later. The person we were working with really listened to what we were looking for (we needed a specific temperament) and she sent us regular options to consider. The animals were all fostered out (there's no central shelter), so we could also contact the fosterers to discuss further. When we finally found the cat that we thought could be 'the one', we did a video call with the fosterers to confirm, then went to Dublin to pick him up. Temperament-wise, we got exactly what they'd described. If you're closer to Dublin, you can certainly request to visit the dog at the fosterers before deciding, and if not, they'll give you as much information as they can to help you decide.

I think we can't name them here on the forum, so feel free to PM me for more info.

That’s a pity- I can understand your frustration with the emails and bookface lack of response- I guarantee you if you were looking for a lurcher or greyhound they’d be back to you in a heartbeat as they’re in great supply but not in huge demand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Abril9

I've adopted/rescued my last two dogs from a local and quite infamous dog pound in Dublin. Two of the best friends I've ever had in my life.

In my experience and it might sound a little cuckoo but sometimes I think the dog really does pick you. It doesn't matter if it's from a rescue center, foster home or death row dog pound. You will feel a connection. I'm the type of person that would bring every dog home from a pound if I was allowed to. That's not including the other rescue wildlife I've brought through the front door over the years.

There is a website lostdogs.ie that if I'm not mistake is partially ran by a girl who volunteers to take photos/organize photos of dogs being handed in and surrendered at dog pounds. Essentially it lets you see what pictures of what doggies need to find a new home.

Advertisement