Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas TV 2022 - 2024

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Better than the awful Santa Clause 3 that's for sure.

It's decent, not great but not bad either, completely inoffensive and a nice throwback to the original Santa Clause movie so the nostalgia is high. It was a nice thing to watch in November to get the Christmas Juices flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I never even knew that series existed!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Disney need to start paying me a commission.

It's grand I think fans for the film series will enjoy it, it's defo a bit daft in places but so am I haha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,125 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Cheers!

I thought the original was decent but the sequels were pretty poor, both of them.

Might earmark it for a watch in the run up with the kids, assuming they show any interest that is😮

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Need to buy Some cake/treats for later....

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy2020

Anyone know when the music channels start Xmas songs??

Should be in the next couple of weeks, not sure how many of those channels are left tho, most have gone out of business by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

The one that starts really early is gone altogether. I think there's one or two then that start November 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

I think this was all brexit related, assuming you have sky box, just take out the viewing card and reboot. There’s loads more music channels there but I don’t see any Christmas ones yet. If you have a free view box you should be able to see them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,907 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Confirmed programmes so far for 2023 from the Weebly UK Christmas TV site.

Mostly specials for existing shows. Tabby McTat is a new animation, and Murder is Easy is a new period adaptation of the Agatha Christie story:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2023/murder-is-easy-casting

​BBC One

• Beyond Paradise Christmas Special
    • Blankety Blank Christmas Special
    • ​Call the Midwife Christmas Special
    • ​Death in Paradise Christmas Special
    • Doctor Who
    • ​EastEnders
    • Murder is Easy (Agatha Christie)
    • ​Mrs Brown's Boys
    • Not Going Out
    • Songs of Praise (Christmas Eve & New Year's Eve)
    • Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special
    • ​The Weakest Link Christmas Special
    • ​Tabby McTat (animation)
    • ​The Repair Shop at Christmas
    • Would I Lie to You? at Christmas

BBC Two

• Live at the Apollo Christmas Special
    • ​Mortimer and Whitehouse : Gone Fishing Christmas Special
    • QI Christmas Special
    • ​Richard Osman's Festive House of Games

BBC Three

Bad Education Christmas Special

BBC Four

Royal Institution Christmas Lectures : The Truth About AI

ITV

• Emmerdale
    • ​In for a Christmas Penny
    • Inside M&S at Christmas
    • ​Jingle Bell Ball
    • ​The 1% Club Christmas Special
    • The Full Monty Christmas Special

CBBC

Quentin Blake's Box of Treasures

Channel 4

• Jamie Oliver Cooks the Mediterranean Christmas Special
    • ​Joe Lycett's Late Night Lycett Christmas Special
    • Mog's Christmas
    • Secrets of the Supermarket
    • The Lateish Show with Mo Gilligan Christmas Special
    • ​The Piano Christmas Special

Channel 5

• All Creatures Great and Small Christmas Special
    • ​Christmas on the Farm
    • ​The Madame Blanc Mysteries Christmas Special
    • ​The 1970's Supermarket Christmas Special

Drama

Sister Boniface Mysteries Christmas Special

As per Weebly site rules, attribution link included below. The site also includes an archive of previous decades of Christmas TV listings.

https://ukchristmastv.weebly.com/confirmed2023.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sky Ireland makes it look like most are gone. They haven't, they just don't have EU broadcast licences. Still available on Freesat. edit: that has already been pointed out

Autumn and darker nights means Food Network is now on as the background noise here rather than something like HGTV. Usually start of November they bring in one hour a day of Christmas content I think?

I’m sold! 😂

Heads up.

6am on November 1st, The channel The Box seems to be going into Boxmas mode. 24 hour Christmas music begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

And The Food Network will be showing mainly Christmas cooking/baking shows from Nov 1st too. I'm really hoping they have new, UK based ones, this year. Although I know I'll still watch all the repeats anyway. It's my favourite background TV at this time of year.

I wanted to watch something Christmassy last night so I rewatched the US Office Season 2 and Season 3 christmas episodes.

such comfort viewing.

Next Monday (6th November)

MTV 90s changes to MTV Christmas 

Trace Vault changes to Trace Christmas 

🎄🎄🎄

We've decided when we get back from our few days away it'll be time to start the Christmas movies and TV... given our GAA club Christmas party is nov17th this year need to get into the zone reasonably quickly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

When we were told our work party is on the 15th, I assumed November. As I used to work in places that did it cheap and early, so a weeknight didn't seem that odd.

It's the 15th of December. Bit more normal. Apparently the 22nd was nixed cause so many would have finished already!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Mine is the 15th too. Maybe we work together. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Go karting last year for us , hope it isn't this year I was told to get of the track and had to sit rest of session out, my boss was also told same thing after me that made me feel better.

• Advertisement

Novembermas on Food Network has been on as background noise already; and its a welcome bit of familiarity... but... it would be nice to have another few shows in the rotation.

I know there's only so many TV chefs and they usually only do one Christmas episode every series or two - and they don't have the rights to everything (e.g. Nigel Slater did a three-parter and I've never seen it on food Network) but surely they could commission some new stuff.

Regardless, I still want to cook a turkey right now, but I've no functional kitchen at all due to a further stage of renovations. May have to ask when the turkey and ham are coming in to the work canteen, its usually available for at least a few weeks!

The Santa Clauses season 2 starts streaming this Wednesday

Scrooged is on Film 4 today at 5.10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

Have we lost a channel? I could have sworn there was a Great Xmas + 1

Wasn't sure where else to put this, so dropping here as some overlap with their TV output ... some interesting output across BBC Sounds and Radio channels.

• Listeners can immerse themselves in Doctor Who The Missing Episodes over the festive period, with 26 episodes that were previously thought lost. Thanks to the ingenuity of the fans, sound recordings of these missing episodes survived and were returned to the BBC. Combined with the narration from the stars of Doctor Who, here’s a chance to listen to the three adventures starring the first two Doctors.
    • Marking 50 years since The Wombles first appeared on the BBC, Richard E Grant narrates a charming adventure from Wimbledon common for BBC Radio 4, directed by Johnny Vegas
    • John Finnemore reprises his role in a return to Moominvalley in Comet in Moominland narrated by Samantha Bond.
    • Bill Nighy stars in A. L. Kennedy’s drama A Single Act, while Brian Cox bids farewell in comedy Bob Servant Says Cheerio
    • Strictly Come Dancing head judge Shirley Ballas, Barbie director Greta Gerwig and queen of the kitchen Delia Smith are this year’s festive castaways on Desert Island Discs
    • Inside Ghosts Christmas Special... Nathan Bryon delves into the strange goings on at Button House with the cast of Ghosts in this special episode which releases alongside the last ever episode of the show.
    • Ruth Jones (Gavin and Stacey co-creator) will look back at her early comic inspirations for With Great Pleasure at Christmas

https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/2023/bbc-radio-and-bbc-sounds-christmas-2023

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Is there any sign of a University Challenge festive series? I can't see it mentioned anywhere.

No airdate specified but it is listed in the TV highlights:

"Once again, University Challenge celebrates Christmas by giving students a short break, and instead inviting teams of distinguished alumni to compete on behalf of their former university. Expect to see some of the UK's finest minds test themselves on one of the UK’s toughest quiz shows, with plenty of seasonal brainteasers to test what they know - and what they don't - about pretty much everything."

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Thanks for that. I always enjoy the Christmas series. With Paxman gone, I wasn't sure it was going ahead.

• Advertisement

Heads up, the Snowman is on Channel 4 today at 5.20, followed by the Snowman and the snowdog straight after.

Advertisement