Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake meat

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I did miss that thanks.

I never knew potato had protein. It's funny because my sister mentioned this to me over xmas dinner, and she has gone not vegan or veggie, but eating less meat. She had fish for xmas dinner.

Whatever protein is in 'spuds' it's not a complete protein. Doing a google search it seems to say spuds have protein has become a trend of late. A misinformation trend.

It would seem to me it's the starchy element to spuds, which is a starchy carb, that is used as a 'binder' in quorn, because it's sticky. Like when you boil rice the water gets all thick and cloudy and the rice will stick together if don't cook it the right way.

One should never think spuds have protein as meat or dairy does. At most is has a number of amino acids out of a possible 12. All 12 being a 'complete' protein, like meat. Beans have way more animo acids than spuds but still not a complete protein as meat or dairy.

So, I don't quite believe this spud protein binder claim as if it's in any way comparable to egg white which is a complete protein, probably the most healthy complete protein source you can eat as long as the chickens aren't fed cr*p.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭growleaves

Why do you assume that?

A few decades ago you were lucky if there was a vegetarian option on the menu in Western countries.

Veganism doesn't have any deep roots outside of Hinduism and Jainism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭MFPM

I think 'fad' is a bit misleading. Vegan and vegetarian practice is millenia old, people have abstained for a variety of reasons, indeed many early societies were plant based. Mass consumption of meat is a relatively modern phenomenon, as meat was expensive and many couldn't afford it. The last 50 years has seen a trebling in global meat production, unfortunately the meat is being produced cheaper which means fairly horrific condition for animals but working conditions are generally poor too. Thankfully, there is now a significant rise in people's consciousness/awareness of what's involved and coupled with issues around climate there's a significant rise in non animal based diets...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

On a few things about human diets in general and farming specifically.

The absolute majority of human societies to date have eaten a mixed diet of plant and animal foods. Seasonal scarcity and lack of refrigeration / preservation meant that people ate what they had to in the main part. They didn't have the luxury of limiting their diets as we do because of economic security and ready access to cheap imported  foodstuffs. Those who limited their diets beyond tended to do so for very specific religious or philosophical reasons

And I would counter your suggestion that meat is necessarily produced "cheaper". What has happened is that modern farming practices now ensure a continuity of supply of all types of food both plant and animal based foods.

One of the main issues here is competition from countries which have few regulations or standards either in agricultural production and employment and who can can grow vegetables or raise animals cheaply because of that. An article in the newspaper recently recently reported that vegetable growers here met to discuss the plummeting price of horticultural produce being charged by retailers and how this is effectively forcing them out of business.

In Ireland generally most farms are family owned. A vast array of legislation and standards ensure that work, animal welfare and production standards are very high. So your generalisations there do not hold. You can argue that most intensive pig and chicken production conditions are not as good, but even there those industries are rigoursely inspected and have to maintain set standards of production. People also have the choice to buy alternatives to mass produced or intensively produced foodstuffs where they wish to do so. People can also choose to eat healthier by limiting the amount of rubbish they eat.

Globally all agricultural production account for approximately 18% of all greenhouse emissions with over 70% coming from the use of fossil fuels but especially in energy generation. From that 18% of emissions, agricultural production feeds nearly 8 billion people and currently there is no shortage of food, rather there are many inequalities due to conflict and corruption. If people in developed countries were so concerned about climate change - they wouldn't be telling poor people to swap their bit of meat or milk for something made in an industrial vat or derived from solvent derived soy milk promoted by corporate interests, they would be ditching their cars, giving up flying and not buying mass produced crap that they don't need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

“Don’t act the ham when you’re paying for pork?” That’s a real saying?

Advertisement