Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake meat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Even if we reduced our population by 50% and carried on consuming everything as we do the planet would be f**ked in no time. I guess we need to change how we consume and eat if we are to find a way of living harmoniously with the Earth. Will never happen though unfortunately.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I don't think you'll be going vegan any time soon either OP. If you don't want it, don't buy it. Simple as that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Higher margins I would imagine. Beef is an expensive raw material for them but the plant based stuff is very cheap. If they develop some highly proprietary process for turning soy beans and gorse into something that tastes like a beef burgers (or acquire a company that does) they stand to make way more money than if they have to fund all those small beef farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm more on board with textured soy protein or whatever than this whole eating insects idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I just had 57kg of the finest organic beef delivered this evening. I even knew the heifer it came from

You can't beat it.

• Advertisement

Did she arrive in pieces or did she walk into the fridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Butchered by a guy who does meat for supervalu so he knows how to get the best out of the beast.

Worked out at €6.14/kg

Got an organic lamb before Christmas for 6.40/kg

My daughter came back home from the UK to live during Covid.

Up to then I had been vegeratian but as she is vegan then it was as handy to go vegan while she was here too. She is a brilliant cook and it really opened my eyes. The flavours are unbelievable , lots of spices, seasoning and herbs are used, plus ginger, garlic, lemongrass, and many things I'd never heard about. Now I'm a Class 1 cook myself. I don't miss meat, fish or chicken at all. I use lots of veg and also tofu plus lots of lentils, beans and lovely sauces using tahini, nut butters, lime etc. The only thing I miss is real cheese and the odd time I still eat it but that's it. I love alternative milks and yogurts too.

I feel so much healthier, particularly gut health. I never feel stuffed after a meal, maybe it just suits me but I find it so easy cooking and shopping . I'm doing it primarily for animal welfare issues but the health benefits are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Well, when you say you're 'healthier' that's fine. Perhaps you are.

But that all depends on what you were eating before.

If you were eating processed meat, then you've given up processed meat, so that's good.

But, you are not healthier than people who only eat lean unprocessed meat.

For example my diet is 35 to 40% combo of lean meat and dairy, and the rest 60% is veg.

So, there is noting under the sun unhealthy about that. So your diet isn't 'better' than mine.

If anything your's is worse, because you are eating a subset of what I eat.

And another way to look at it is: my 60% diet is 'vegan'.

• Yeah god forbid someone who doesn’t eat meats wants to have a “burger” with their friends if they go out.

• Advertisement

To be fair she never mentioned her diet being better than anyone else's. It's mad how insecure people get around the subject of eating less animal products, bragging about having lovely bacon for breakfast or buying a whole cow for the freezer etc. No one is taking your meat away from you!

To be fair she made the claim she is 'healthier'. And to be fair I put a bit of more nuance on that. And to be fair I was making a general point not accusing the poster of anything. And to be fair if anyone who is insecure it is you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

People wouldn't have a problem with these if they weren't trying to replace, but instead be an alternative. If I want a beef burger, I want beef in it, not not-beef. I've tried a few, and each of them have been absolutely horrible, nothing like beef and anyone that says they are are talking out their hoop.

Be careful of Apache, I got caught out by them. Depending on the staff, any pork products will be replaced with a pork substitute. They won't tell you this in store, but it happens in any store where there's a halal follower. I knew the second I bit into the porkball that it wasn't pork (or at least contained some part of a pig). Disgusting carry on, if it was the other way around there would be war.

I'll never not eat meat. It's 50% of my diet. It tastes too good and the pig is a magical animal, most of my meat consumption comes from them. I'm also not into "fancy" beef, like Angus, horrid aftertaste. Sick of people replacing good decent Irish beef with alternatives that taste worse, but charge more... makes no sense. We have the best meat in the world here (albeit, our ribs need some work, but that's most likely down to the chefs). Why do we want to change/replace it?!

We (Ireland) produce 0.1% of the worlds pollution, and 0.35% is agriculture. I was horrified to find out that forest only covers 11.2% of our landmass. We need to change that asap.

https://ourworldindata.org/co2/country/ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It is weird, and more than a little sad, how some men judge their “manliness” by the meat in their diet and the petrol in their cars.

Especially when most of them are eating over processed muck. Reclaimed connective tissue, “meat slurry”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I like to think of it as an alternative source of protein.

who's replacing anything? Ireland is producing more meat and dairy than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Good. But we know that if certain groups shout loud enough, it will affect us. Meat seems to be getting it bad lately (in the last few years anyway), I'm just defending my food!

It is weird, and more than a little sad, how some men judge their “manliness” by the meat in their diet and the petrol in their cars.

How you could have derived that from post is beyond me, and is in fact a little sad.

Especially when most of them are eating over processed muck. Reclaimed connective tissue, “meat slurry”

You must have skipped over the bit where I said that processed meat is unhealthy.

Lean meat it not unhealthy. It is very healthy in the same way vegetables are very healthy.

People wouldn't have a problem with these if they weren't trying to replace, but instead be an alternative. If I want a beef burger, I want beef in it, not not-beef. I've tried a few, and each of them have been absolutely horrible, nothing like beef and anyone that says they are are talking out their hoop.

Yes I alluded to this earlier. Substitution is often used a a weight loss technique and it hardly ever works long term. Fake Sugar is about the only substitution that I know of that can work but only in limited circumstances and done the right way.

Be careful of Apache, I got caught out by them. Depending on the staff, any pork products will be replaced with a pork substitute. They won't tell you this in store, but it happens in any store where there's a halal follower. I knew the second I bit into the porkball that it wasn't pork (or at least contained some part of a pig). Disgusting carry on, if it was the other way around there would be war.

Sounds disgusting. A point I would make is commercial vegan products have the potential to be as unhealthy as anything else. It all depends what's in it. Bad fats for one. Palm Oil is 'vegan' used in many products but it's an unhealthy fat.

I'll never not eat meat. It's 50% of my diet. It tastes too good and the pig is a magical animal, most of my meat consumption comes from them. I'm also not into "fancy" beef, like Angus, horrid aftertaste. Sick of people replacing good decent Irish beef with alternatives that taste worse, but charge more... makes no sense. We have the best meat in the world here (albeit, our ribs need some work, but that's most likely down to the chefs). Why do we want to change/replace it?!

A plus for lean meat is that it's satiating. Which implies it keeps you satiated for longer, meaning you eat less and if you eat less you're less likely to have a weight problem. The ironic think is starchy carbs which are 'vegan' have the opposite effect, because being overweight is not good for your health.

I didn't say I was healthier than you, or any meat eater. I said I feel healthier...................meaning healthier than before. I've always had a good diet, mostly veg, fruit , grains, no saturated fats. I'm slim and fit anyway. But meat was always harder to digest, or so I felt a whole lot better by cutting it out completely. I also felt with hormones and fillers in chicken, and micro plastics in most fish, that getting them out of my diet was a good move.

Red meat consumption is known to be a risk factor for colon cancer, both processed and unprocessed (i.e. steak) https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/causes-of-cancer/diet-and-cancer/does-eating-processed-and-red-meat-cause-cancer.

I've lost 2 male friend and 1 female to colon cancer in the last 2 years. For me its been a no brainer to go meat free and I myself feel healthier for it. I'm also very aware of the animal welfare issues involved in mass beef production. That's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

I've yet to see the real life preachy vegan that people complain about. It's always meat eaters that seem to obsess over what people choose to eat, in my experience.

Well, sorry to shock you, but I'm perfectly happy for people to be vegan especially on ethical grounds. Ethical in respect of how animals are farmed. I'm totally against the slaughter of young piglets as well. And I am considering adjusting what meat I buy as it happens especially in respect of pigs.

On health grounds though, I won't have it that vegans say they are 'healthier' than meat eaters. That is total nonsense and a different discussion altogether.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife is a veggie (and is a far better cook than me anyway) so the only time i ever really eat meat these days is if we're eating out or ordering in; i haven't had beef in probably six months, pig products would just be what would be in pepperoni or similar on a pizza, and i'd generally have a chicken burger in a burger joint, or with whatever thai or indian dish we'd order in. i don't think i'm missing all that much; the biggest hurdle was getting used to and finally liking mushrooms. when i was growing up, it was really only slimy-feeling button mushrooms we'd get and i'd almost gag at the texture. but a good juicy portobello mushroom makes an excellent patty in a burger.

The problem with red meat, is that it is marbled with fat, animal fat. There is nothing wrong with red meat per se. So one can't say 'meat is unhealthy' because red meat has this marbled fat problem. If you look at mince meat, which is sometimes pink when it has up to 20% fat, that is unhealthy, I agree. But it's not the meet that is unhealthy, it's the animal fat in it that is unhealthy, in exactly the same way palm oil is unhealthy and a fat, which isn't meat.

If you have an issue with digesting meat then that is your personal issue. It is not an issue across the board.

As far as you say about micro plastics and fillers and all that, that comes under the general category of 'unhealthy meat'. But all I'm saying is that meat per se is not unhealthy.

I'm sorry to hear about your losses, but you cannot show those deaths are due conclusively to eating meat. At absolute best you can say don't eat red meat as a precaution and eat chicken instead, which is very lean. I hardly eat red meat myself, purely down to the fact that the best cuts, which have the least amount of fat, are the most expensive.

That's all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

mince Quorn is great put it in a Bolognese sauce and you wouldn't know the difference 😐️

Post edited by fryup on

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Mad how they are pushing people to move from a 1 ingredient food to a food that's made up of over processed absolute sh*te (that's loaded with seed oil). In realistic terms it's nothing more than large corporate soul suckers capitalising on stupid people's ignorance.

Human consumption of high quality, decent meat & organs is what built the world.

You can take my steak from my dying hands eu bureaucrats!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Not sure you could call men who get so worked up over things that will never happen, or who are so fragile that everything feels like an attack, “manly”.

Snowflake would be a much better term. Angry little snowflakes.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You can take my steak from my dying hands eu bureaucrats!!!!

not sure if serious.

anyway, i suspect if you did examine the diets of people who 'built the world' you'd probably find their diet contained less meat than a modern western diet does.

in ireland, it's been falling for the last 20 years (based on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_meat_consumption )

• Advertisement

Indians seem to do the best veggie food. Sit down Indian places, specifically. @[Deleted User] is right about the spices. More traditional Irish food doesn't hold up well against it.

Advertisement