Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theatre Performers subjected to racist abuse in Dublin

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Ah yeah sure it was. 🤣🤣 All reports everywhere are bad unless they agree with your point.

Have you got an issue with the report discussed in this thread and the body who published it?

I've got an issue with it which I've raised multiple times and you keep ignoring. The headline stat around physical assaults is obviously exaggerated which any sane person would realise if they stopped and thought about it for 2 seconds.

But if you are an unthinking automaton you get blinded by the prestige of the blue EU logo and the official EU domain name and the words "human rights" and you then unquestioningly swallow everything whole because it neatly feeds you information that you want to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,924 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Nobody has denied that we have racists in Ireland or that there was racist abuse involved. The discussion was about the intent behind the abuse, others are claiming that the intent doesn't matter, and claiming that talking about intent, is some kind of denial that racism was involved... it's not any such denial.

Just curious. Same group sexually assault a young female or male for that matter. Is it a sexual assault or does intent come into it? Going further to the extreme, some rapes are a form of punishment. A scumbag rapes a woman to punish her partner. He's not doing it for the sexual gratification. Is it a rape or does his intent come into it? I admit this isn't likely ( I hope). I'm just curious at what stage intent becomes irrelevant & the crime is the crime?

How are you even trying to put these examples alongside what has been said here?

Hats off the worst **** argument or attempt to prove a point I have seen here.

Fucking hell. I'm done with this thread.

Jesus.

You're trying to compare a sexual physical act against a verbal one. Come on.. seriously?

Surely you're capable of discussing the area of intent, and racism itself? Without attempting trickery... since they're (racist verbal abuse vs a sexual assault) nothing even remotely similar.

• Advertisement

Hats off the worst **** argument or attempt to prove a point I have seen here.

**** hell. I'm done with this thread.

Ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

I would bet money that you won't get a straight answer on this.

No. Sexual assault is nothing like what happened. I'm not suggesting it is. Though I would have thought that the same principle of intent would apply if intent was important. I'm not looking for a back & forward with you. I'm not trying to trick you.

I'm just wondering /curious at what stage does intent become irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Just another business complaining of constant anti social behaviour right in the center of the city.

This is the problem. The racism angle is just incidental. It would be homophobic, random verbal assaults and actual assaults...doesn't matter. No one thing is above any other.

The problem is a law and order one.

The government has to sort this out.

As things stand Dublin is not really an enticing proposition for people to visit. This is the image people have now and unfortunately it's correct.

Anyone with eyeballs can see the city center has a serious problem.

I went to see The Lion King and was blown away by the whole production. The colour. The music. The dance. Outstanding. It saddens me to see that some of this amazing team were abused on the streets of our capital by what I imagine are talentless yobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

To be fair you wouldn't have much to post about if it wasn't for the gurriers of Dublin city centre. I suggest you just accept that that's the way Dublin is, unless you're going to run for a seat in the Dail based on a tough on crime policy, because it's not changing any time soon, just be glad it's still a very safe city by most standards anyway.

I think increasing numbers of people would dispute just how safe the city center at this point. You can't get away with saying something over and over in defence that is not true, not now, to be in denial.

That's not to say it's dangerous but it's not going the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

No one is going to do anything about it so if I were you I'd just make peace with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

For a lad how wants to fix climate change and do some pretty radical things to do so, this is beyond hypocritical.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Until when? The next murder?

If that poor woman murdered in the IFSC had been an Irish woman imagine the reaction.

That's what's going to happen. Maybe it will be on O'Connell St or St Stephens Green or where ever but you can see what's coming.

Why should someone have to run for the Dáil or council to seek changes? Is this not what we elect politicians for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I once had an expensive jacket robbed from my car, was parked on Erne Street, off Pearse Street.

In my naivety I went into a local pub for help, called the Widow Scallan.

I was laughed at.

I am bigger now and able to look after myself.. not saying I am Jack Reacher, but a bunch of kids taunting me is not an issue.

I didn't & I didn't expect a reply tbh. It sort of pulls the rug out of their argument. Their get out of jail clause is, it's ridiculous to compare different crimes. I did point out that the crimes were totally different. The crimes aren't the point I was making. What they avoided in their replies was the concept of "intent". If it is relevant in one crime then why not another?

Another example is a guy pushing his bike towards a girl running to get on a train. He doesn't hit her with the bike but she flinches, & stumbles onto the tracks under the train. He was just being a regular scumbag. The guy with the bike didn't intend her to go under the train. Does his intent matter? She still ended under the train.

My points aren't aimed at you MarkEadie

Post edited by Sleeper12 on

I didn't & I didn't expect a reply tbh. It sort of pulls the rug out of their argument.

That has got to be one of the most disingenuous claims I have seen on boards in years. You didn't engage in the argument.

You sought to discuss an unrelated example, acknowledged it was as such, and now, you're agreeing with Mark? A little piece of advice.. Mark likes to make vague statements, "glorious" soundbites, and judgements over posts/threads but rarely, if ever, engages in any actual discussion himself... and even rarer, actually defend his statements.

both @[Deleted User] and I got tired at the extreme responses and deflections that other posters contributed in return, rather than deal with the points made. You added another level of extremity by seeking to introduce rape into the discussion. You came late to the party, and showed up with more shite, rather than being interested in having a balanced, and fair discussion.

Intent does matter.

motivation does not.

in the case of racist abuse towards the lion king performers, the intent was to racially abuse them, obviously, because that is the act that occurred. It's the motivation of the offenders that doesn't matter. They still committed the act. Posters can argue all day that these poor guys are not racist, who cares? They commit a racist abusive act.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I very much did engage in the argument. The argument was about intent. I gave examples of different crimes. Crimes not related to the racist attack. But intent is the argument not the crime itself.

I'm trying to determine at what stage you believe intent stops being relevant.

Funny thing is I don't recall any posts from anyone about intent in the homophobic part of the attack. Maybe I missed them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Dublin and its resident scumbags, happens every day of the week unreported mostly, nothing to see here.

Advertisement