Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping marriage name after divorce

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Just thank the Lord you never had the surname of this fecker....

The longest personal name is 747 characters long, and belongs to Hubert Blaine Wolfe­schlegel­stein­hausen­berger­dorff Sr. (b. 4 August 1914, Germany) who passed away on 24 October 1997, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA, as verified on 1 January 2021.

Hubert's name in full, (without senior) is Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert Irvin John Kenneth Lloyd Martin Nero Oliver Paul Quincy Randolph Sherman Thomas Uncas Victor William Xerxes Yancy Zeus Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorffwelchevoralternwarengewissenhaftschaferswessenschafewarenwohlgepflegeundsorgfaltigkeitbeschutzenvonangreifendurchihrraubgierigfeindewelchevoralternzwolftausendjahresvorandieerscheinenvanderersteerdemenschderraumschiffgebrauchlichtalsseinursprungvonkraftgestartseinlangefahrthinzwischensternartigraumaufdersuchenachdiesternwelchegehabtbewohnbarplanetenkreisedrehensichundwohinderneurassevonverstandigmenschlichkeitkonntefortpflanzenundsicherfreuenanlebenslanglichfreudeundruhemitnichteinfurchtvorangreifenvonandererintelligentgeschopfsvonhinzwischensternartigraum.

Well my mother most certainly didn't keep her married name in any type of attempt to hold onto her ex husband. I think you're being very judgemental about your 'friend '

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

If a woman chooses to change her name on marriage, that name is now hers just as much as her previous one.

It isn't a temporary loan, to be returned upon divorce, divided up like the good china.

You wanted to change yours, more power to your elbow, but how about letting others decide what suits them and lay off the judgements.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Is Joan your partner's ex-wife or something? You seem unusually fixated on what she does when it has literally no impact on you at all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It sounds like you were pretty ok to split up and remove your ex-husband from your life, maybe Joan was not as accepting as you were of the end of her marriage. Some people really believe in the 'til death do us part' and are very affected by the end of something they thought would last forever.

Maybe she just likes the name.

Maybe she prefers it to her maiden name.

Maybe she has reasons to want to disassociate from her maiden name...who knows? It's really only Joan's business, everyone is different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Misty moo

Calm down guys before anyone slams me more I am happily single so it’s not a girlfriend of my ex so forth nothing like that at all… it’s still a made up scenario Joan with one child is a made up picture.. I have never gone out with an attached man or broke A marriage that’s not me I know plenty who have.. as I said it’s a made up scenario bits taken from people I’ve heard from.. don’t take it personally 😬😬

• Registered Users Posts: 20,540 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its for the kids ,

Some things in life can just be easier if the mother has the same name as her children ,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

So give the kids their mother's name instead of the father's. Problem solved, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

Interestingly, whichever parent rocks up to apply for the child's birth cert can now give them a surname of their choice. This is the format of birth certs since pre 2008 (not sure when). My birth cert (and most of yours) just gives our forenames and no surname - the 'presumption at law' is that your surname is that of your fathers. Thankfully, this ambiguity is now gone, which is great for the children of separated parents where one parent might seek to 'change' the child's surname by use.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

I know a man who separated while the child was very young (pre-school) etc. And his ex wife just began using her own surname as the child's surname. This was made possible due to the old style of birth cert. Nothing to be done about it. The now-adult child was very upset that this decision was taken for her throughout her school years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Why? As a parent we make all sorts of decisions on behalf of our kids with a lot more consequence than a surname? I am not understanding why the child would be upset.

I actually know a couple where both of them took a double barrel name - both of their names.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just say no to double-barrelled names! (Nobody calls John Lennon John Ono Lennon even though he did change his name)

What's interesting in the "taking a man's name" discussion is that many names in Ireland - O'-, Mac-, Mc-, Fitz-, Mag- mean "son of". So any woman with such a name has what was originally a man's name.

Life ain't always empty.

You could but you haven't solved the issue you've just transferred the issue to the Father ,

In Iceland your not allowed take your partners surname

All men's surnames names with son , like Gudjonson (so of Gudjon) , all women surnames end with dottir like Gudjondottir (daughter of Gudjon), You can have your mothers name in surname if you wish,

They also donlt give there kids first names till they get to know them ,so about 3 months,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Because the way it was conceived in the past was that the woman was going from her using her father's surname - not "her" name - to her husband's surname. The surnames are patrilineal.

In Judaism your status as a Jew is matrilineal: if your mother was Jewish, you are considered Jewish

Advertisement