Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eartags 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sillycave

Can you use old tags left from last year or is EID tags to be used now?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

You can and should use the old ones until June. After that it's the new EID tags only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ginger22

this is our 3rd year with Cormac tags, havent lost any yet, some difference from the Mullinahone ones, they were a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Dunedin

100% agree. And the one tagger is easier as opposed to taking out the pin to put in one of the tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Was waiting 5-6 weeks last spring for tags to come from mullinahone, in the end had to ring them and tell them to send out a few to get me out of trouble, the numbers were out of sequence which annoys me! but the upside is i now should have enough old tags for this season..well except for the two or three cows going late!.

Their tagger is a pain in the bollocks to use and i'm forever replacing tags in cows, i'm probably going to try cormac for a year and see if they're any better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I was only allowed to order a certain number of calf tags, what's the story

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

It’s some new rule, if you contact the dept you can order as many as you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

What if you have old tags left by 30th June 2022? Can you order the new tags with the same tag numbers as the old or what way does it work?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Rang mullinahone as I'll have old tags left by July.

Their answer is they are useless tags and are to be binned and no replacement tags with these numbers will be issued so money off down the drain.

I'll have a few by July, I'd say. I like to order ahead, so I won't get caught short. Annoying if some tags and their numbers will be binned.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭cjpm

Sounds like a load of shite. You should be able to buy a single electronic replacement tag for each animal born after the 1st of July until you run out of old tags and get the next new batch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭orm0nd

You can't get a replacement tag if the animal isn't registered. You can't register with non EID after June

We have been well fore warned about the system change for ages. And a quota was introduced a few years back to stop stock piling tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

But in all fairness they are very understanding when it comes to accommodating date changes. We will be appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I remember years ago, we had a few spare at a change over and didn’t get to use them. Left a tiny gap in the numbering sequence…. Wouldn’t want OCD.

I always order my tags at the tail end of the year once cattle are scanned so as to not have to be waiting in spring. Ended up getting Yellow EID tags. Presume it doesn’t make a difference. All will be tagged before July anyway.

I wonder could you tag the calves with normal tags, register and strategically order replacement EID tags?

Not after June. unless you want to trigger a cross compliance inspection

For anyone with OCD the best way around it is to buy late calving dairy cows, tag the calves when they are born and then sell the cows and calves if you don’t want them 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

So does the tags have to be white after July even if they are EID?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I don't know but looking at the Mullinahone website replacement EID tags are white.

What happens when a animal looses the bvd tag after July. I assume you order a replacement visual tag as normal. If that is the case then I wouldn't be throwing away any old tags until those animals have cleared through the herd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

The Cormac tagger looks complicated and awkward in the photos…What’s it actually like to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

Much easier than the others as all tags just slot in. No removing pins for different tag types etc. It is also seriously over engineered, you wouldn't breaak it with a belt of a sledge.

• Advertisement

A pure gift to use also does 1 range of their sheep tags.

Had 20 old calf tags here so haven't used it on the EID tags yet but won't be long.. They're lining up fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

I was half thinking of changing to Cormac tags for a while. It looks like we need another new tagger to apply the Mullinahone EID tags anyway, so now might be a good time to change...

I'm thinking that way aswell. Sick of ordering replacement tags from Mullinahone. I rang them a few times and they were pig ignorant to me. Nothing like a bit of competition to shake things up a bit.

The new Mullinahone tagger for the EID tags does look a lot stronger than the previous yellow and red ones, to be fair. My neighbour just after getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I ordered 5 replacement single tags last week from Mullinahone for some feeding cows. I was running a few of the cows through the crush earlier to tag the ones with the replacement tags and another cow's tag opened up as she was walking down the crush - her ear rubbed against the wall. The earlier Mullinahone tags were **** quality. In fairness we don't have many issues with newer ones - yet.

I couldn’t recommended Cormac tags highly enough. Great tags and a great company to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,146 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is there many empty samples with Cormac?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I had a good few two years ago so rang them up. They sent me out a new tagger and none since so obviously I had damaged tagger some way. Couldn't fault Cormac for that in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

If you did have some old tags left after July 2022, could you just buy 1 of the new white Eid tags to put with the corresponding yellow tag you already have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Nope as covered already "You can't get a replacement tag if the animal isn't registered. You can't register with non EID after June"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

On the mullinahone new eid tagger and tags.

The tags will only work/fit sideways one way into the tagger. Otherwise you'll be needing the vice grip to bend back the spring clip after the very first tag.

Seemingly doing it this way the way only the right hand side ear will be eid tagged.

Advertisement