Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 nations 22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

Spotted this elsewhere. GT outdoes himself. As long as the French don't get over...errm...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

• Registered Users Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Utterly disagree with this idea. Expand it to 7 Nations if you must. But don't throw a side out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭ersatz

If ever there as a case of lying down with dogs...I'd be amazed if fans travel to SA for matches and it really would leave a bad taste if Italy is thrown out to make way. Seriously bad news for the game in NZ/AUS too.

I guess this was part of CVC's strategy to make a buck by bringing in SA broadcasting.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So Italy are going to vote themselves out of a competition they part own, are they?

Bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Shehal

I still can't believe its been 6 years and people still go on about Italy being in the competition. We all know nothing is going to change so why people continue to yap on about it makes my head boggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Yeah it's annoying alright. Italy are here to stay, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Do Italy have a veto as part of their share in the tournament? Or can they be voted out by the others? I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the Saffers chances of getting in, they're in the URC, soon the European Cup, it's inevitable that they'll join the 6N in time.

The more relevant question is whether that will happen alongside Italy or in place of them. Is a 7 Nations tournament with extra rounds and bye weekends workable? If not the Italians could be in bother.

As for the impact on NZ etc., to be brutally honest about it, that's really not the European teams' or SA's problem. NZ will always produce great players, in future they may have to take a paycut or move abroad to play. So be it if they do.

EDIT: The suggestion seems to be that Italy's share as a stakeholder is only in place until 2024, so they would not have a vote on format or representation beyond that, hence SA's potential inclusion from 2025. There will be a lot of politics and PR at play for the next while on this, but to simply brush it off as "nothing is going to change" seems incredibly naive.

Post edited by Cosmo Kramer on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think they should keep Italy. They will be competitive soon enough, imo.

We weren't kicked out in the 90's. We were awful! Bring S.A in also, and Georgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

We didn't go seven years without winning a game either though. Personally I'd like to both keep Italy and bring in SA. But you'd need two extra weekends to play the games so I don't know if it would be agreeable to the French and English clubs etc.

Definitely could see Italy getting bumped here. I think SA coming in is much more likely than not, it's whether it can be done in a way that accommodates everyone that is the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

From a purely financial aspect, the future potential of the Italian market would dwarf the SA one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Please no SA. 6N is a european tournament where all the countries have a history between them and are culturally and geographical proximity.

Crossing several time zones is a no go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Crossing several time zones is a n go 

South Africa is only two hours ahead of us and only one ahead of Paris and Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Where does it say that the 6Ns has to be a European tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Shehal

The story on SA joining the 6n is of course as we all expected bollocks.

Did we all think it was b*****s?

I think there is plenty of mileage to it.

In fact I think it's inevitable. Why would it be b******s? Their provincial teams play in the URC and from next season the Champions Cup and Challenge Cup.

The idea of SA joining the 6Ns is anything but b******s IMO.

Hopefully the b******s bit is about them replacing Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Michael Zozimus Moran

Provincial teams playing in a combined league doesn’t translate to their national team playing with us. A league needs a certain amount of teams to make it up. Several countries not having enough justifies an inter country league. Especially if the smaller countries don’t have the finances to keep the game pro with an internal national league.

I disagree completely with SA joining the 6 nations because it destroys the Championship which is required to keep all Southern Hemisphere nations competitive for world cups. It makes it non European which involves travel difficulties. If anything bring Argentina in to Spain as they have timezone complications with the Championship. SA should stay in the block internationally with NZ and Oz.

But if SA don't want to do that then they can't be made to stay in the Rugby Championship. It's clear the time zone issue is a massive problem for them.

Not sure how you can say no to SA and yes to Argentina???

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Michael Zozimus Moran

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It doesn't, but I would like it to stay as one. The proximity of the nations makes a big difference to the whole experience I think.

I just don't care about seeing South Africa play in it to be honest. Brings me no joy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'd say South Africa join eventually. Now their clubs lose players for a part of the season due to the misaligned club and international season. It puts them at a disadvantage.

It will also gives the opportunity to add in relegation and promotion by adding an eighth team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭OldRio

Replacing Italy with RSA was a kite flying exercise. South Africa will join a 7 nation competition. Cash is king. Money will decide.

Its more of a pity that the people who run rugby can't sort a proper calendar for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Because financially it would destroy NZ and Aus. It would negatively impact Lions Tours. It would ultimately diminish the RWC product and devalue Autumn internationals and summer tours. There are far too many, World Rugby included. Who would be negatively impacted by this, to make it a viable runner.

This is one of the more long term consequences of SA joining the 6N. Where does it put NZ/Aus? The game in Aus is already on its knees and this means the ABs will be hard pressed to find meaningful annual competition. That is bad news for rugby no matter where you're from.

But who cares? Why would the 6nations worry about what happens in Oz or NZ

I doubt SA will be in the 6nations and I don't think Italy should be sacrificed to accommodate them. NZ and Oz should be fine regardless! There's other sides in the pacific who can play them!

As a fan of the game I'd be worried about relatively short term business imperatives undermining the structure of the sport. The ABs being in a competition they can't lose is not a good thing for the game.

Because reducing even further the number of functional international teams available to play against will just kill the sport?

England should beat Wales this week! I would think it will be fairly comfortable.

England 27 10 Wales

Scotland will look to rebound after stinking out the field last outing. Alas. It won't be enough.

Scotland 17 27 France

We should beat Italy. Comfortably.

Ireland 38 10 Italy.

Not sure 38-10 is as comfortable as I would expect.

I half fancy Scotland to beat France...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

If SA join the 6n then that should be the end of Lions tours there

Lions need to consider playing Argentina/PI teams as a tour in place of that

Advertisement