Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reddit Vs Boards. Reddit is fun/Boards users just criticize each other

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm reasonably sure posters have been saying "Boards used to be a great site" since Boards started.

Whoever green lit the move when they did from Vbulletin to Vanilla signed the death cert for Boards. My god like.

I'm convinced there's a fundamental difference in how the site works that is slowly strangling it.

Before, you went to the homepage and then clicked My Threads. You were exposed to new content all the time through that interaction. Now, you click the icon and then Bookmarks, skipping all that new content.

I feel like I can go entire days without actually going to the homepage and seeing new stuff.

Reddit is undoubtfully better for broader range of subjects

The ireland page is woeful......boards is grand,but usership has collasped recently and now seems mainly older types ,who take it all too seriously.....if you were to pigeon-hole it,populated by rugby dads,disappointed with their life and kids

The ultimate champion of interneting,is PROC😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

plus there are people who will tell you where you can buy fake watches ! they actually KNOW STUFF 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Each display type has its pros and cons. If you're talking politics then it's good to have everyone with an equal voice as there's balance.

But if you're in a subreddit about let's say...DIY, and you're asking how to do something, then having the most upvoted response first is probably better. For example this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/sfknhv/toilet_sounds_like_it_keeps_filling_water_but_it/?sort=confidence

You can view reddit threads in multiple ways anyways. You can view them with newest first, which is similar to boards. Top comments which is the most net upvotes. Best comments which is a mixture between the most net upvotes and high ratio of upvotes to downvotes and controversial which means a very close ratio of upvotes and downvotes.

Boards is very good for ongoing discussions and developing stories.

One thing that I would say is to anyone trying reddit, you need to install Reddit Enhancement Suite and first thing you need to do when you make a reddit account is to go to settings and use the Old Reddit design. I literally can't use the new reddit design. It kills the eyes and it's harder to navigate.

For example, this is my "Home" page on reddit. Where the subs I am subscribed to display their best posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I managed two bans in a day in cycling subs, for agreeing with people who said there should be no politics allowed, when mods were trying to tell everyone we needed to support BLM 🤣

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Yeah the mods are insane. They're so up their own arses

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

How do you know what crude websites used for selling drugs on the dark web looks like?

😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I rarely use reddit now except finding solutions to some tech problems and as another poster said,

Could you please direct the tech team of boards to this Reddit forum please

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I was looking at them for research purposes. 😁

The Reddit voting system is basically a form of group censorship, so you're not allowed to have an unpopular opinion.

At least on Boards you can have your say and it will be seen, assuming some power mod doesn't delete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Depends on the forum. Like gaming, film, television etc are alright. But after hours and current affairs? Forget about it. So many opinionated jerks lol. You can say how the grass is green and how the sky is blue but you'll still have people arguing with how wrong you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Both have their uses and Boards the better place for having conversations. But there is a lot more humour and fun to be had on Reddit, r/ireland is basically like what After Hours was like 10 years ago before lots of people left. Even like last week there was some funny photoshopping going on about the Russia v the fishermen topic, thats the type of stuff that would have been in AH years ago but is now found on Reddit. There are a wealth of other subs that are excellent, subs like r/interestingasfuck have some great content in them that you wont find elsewhere.

As for those sayng they dont like the format of Reddit, I think you just have to get used to it and that happens the more you use it. I hated it at the start but now dont mind it. I never read usernames on Reddit becasue the font size is tiny and that felt weird at first but quickly got used to it. And you cant have conversations on it but its main advantage is it has some excellent content that you wont find in other forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭growleaves

A few years ago when the old politics.ie was damaged by a migration, I think many refugees from that site flooded into boards. That probably amplified the contentious political-chat aspect of boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

People will think you are exaggerating but this is completely true. They hired aimee challanor as a permanent staff member , a person who who managed to get kicked out of two political parties in England due to various pedophilic links, it's not like it's new thing either, Reddit was always full of weirdos apparently but the old weirdos had a libertarian ethos where as the new weirdos are more censorious left wing.

I do use Reddit a fair bit as there is some good small subs but it's also just interesting as something to look at to see the way it operates, with things like keyword removal of certain terms, moderators being inserted and removed despite the original moderators team not wanting them, the astroturfing and likely bot accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭sporina

Boards use to be great - shite now.. but I can't get the hang of Reddit.. must try again.. tis Spring after all.. new beginnings and all that..

PS lots of dead beats on here.. throwing their massive egos around but they probably feel really **** in the real world.. I wish they would just get some help.. there are some with serious "wants" in them as my Mum use to say.. I guess they wer always here but more obvious now as there is less traffic since the train crash of a refurb or what ever they did to ruin the site.. grr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Reddit is full of Statesian Democrats

• Advertisement
Advertisement