Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reddit Vs Boards. Reddit is fun/Boards users just criticize each other

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Reddit is a headwreck. Boards is fun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Thought it was just me as I don't use Reddit really , the format is horrific

Boards is alright .Great for info. Biggest issue is the posters back and forth arguing on loads of threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

It's been slightly the opposite for me, likely because I don't longer in After Hours too much aside from the trivial annoyances thread (lol) and, I guess, here.

I see Reddit, particularly the r/Ireland Subreddit, to be one huge After Hours page.

Don't go in asking genuine, serious questions, or else you'll likely get the piss taken out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

you can do really well in terms of engagement on Reddit if you have an open mind and are willing to listen to what people have to say

• Advertisement

Reddit is a tough one to crack at the start because the default subs are garbage. Filled with bots and echo chambers. It's hard for people to find the good ones off the bat.

It's a lot nicer with Dark mode extensions like this one on Firefox mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

No, I'm saying that as bad as the current version is, it's still less painful to use than Reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Boards is far better structured.

Oh yeah agreed. As bad as new boards is, and it is very very bad. It definitely beats the reddit structure for sure. I browse reddit a lot but as for commenting, I haven't a clue what's happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Reddit has some good subs but popular subs are ruined by mods. Have a watch of this video from a couple days ago and you'll see a typical mod..

There was a thread the other day in r/worldnews about the new omicron sub variant and the pro lockdown nerds upvoted it to 40k or something. I said to stop fear mongering and that the pandemic is coming to an end and gave examples of many countries removing most restrictions despite record case numbers not too long ago.

They gave me a perma ban in that sub for "spreading conspiracy theories" lol

I've a perma ban in a tv show subreddit discussing a TV finale that has been universally panned...for the mere suggestion that it was indeed, terrible. Boards moderation is abysmal but for the most part rules are enforced. Reddit mods ban you on an opinion they disagree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

You just need to use the site more. What you should do to get started is think of something you like, say, jokes or rugby or DIY and then sort the subreddit by Top of All Time.

Boards displays comments in chronological order. Everyone has an equal voice. Reddit can display comments in different orders depending on time or upvotes. Most people browse comments by most upvoted. This means the best comments are to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Reddit is crap, make a post and suddenly its deleted for not following the rules, not adding a flair, not adding a question tag, and so on and so on

Also hate the whole 'the cream flows to the top' (sic echo chamber upvoting each other)

Boards - unless you're a troll (and even sometimes a troll) the discussion flows and everyone gets an equal voice

A few subreddits I visit but they would be more niche and not really critique style postings

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

There is some amount of brain dead tripe on Reddit. You could come across a guy who spent 5 years glueing lollipop sticks to his car, or a guy eating his breakfast when a bird lands on the table. I used to use it a good bit but I eventually went from "wow this is mildly interesting", to "why the hell were they filming this" to "why the **** am I spending hours watching these pointless clips"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I just fired up the app there now and in the first ten posts I saw:

• A chimp feeding a tortoise
    • A guy giving cpr to a dog
    • A dog running around in circles really fast on the passenger seat of a car
    • A picture of a big shark
    • A girl doing keepy uppys and kicking a ball into a basketball net
    • A video of a Chinese woman being chased by a duck

It's just an endless stream of pure shite

Yes, it certainly is a stream of pure shlte until you log in and subscribe to the subreddits you're interested in and remove the defaults.

Accountancy? Lego? Boomerangs? Web development? Clocks?

It's all there but you have to go look for it. Then when you do that, your homepage is filled with those types of posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Boards is much cleaner and easier to read. Reddit looks like one of those crude websites that's used for selling drugs on the dark web.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Boards displays comments in chronological order. Everyone has an equal voice.

This is a good thing.

Reddit can display comments in different orders depending on time or upvotes. Most people browse comments by most upvoted. This means the best comments are to the top.

No, it means the most popular comments are to the top. That's very different. I've seen comments on technical subs that were upvoted to the sky and were completely and utterly wrong, though commonly believed. If a subject is even slightly controversial or even just debatable Reddit is a waste of time. All the viewer will glean is what is the consensus of that sub. If you're into right wing nonsense you'll find subs where all will agree with you, if you're into left wing nonsense ditto. Pick any personal hobby horse you like and you'll find a sub that will agree with you and downvote any dissent, while another will totally disagree with you and upvote that same dissent to the top.

While the original idea had merit Reddit is fundamentally designed to create echo chambers. And it does. Which I would contend is what people actually want and that open old style forums were the temporary exception.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

theres some mental american stuff on reddit!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And that's how you learn the important life skill of ignoring noise and nonsense! It tends to peter out if you don't feed the pantomime! As for Reddit tried it a few times and just not a fan of how the comments are organised.

That /Ireland page is complete shïte. Full of people who love SF and hate travellers. And terrible Simpsons memes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

That, along with the ‘Irish Simpsons Fans’ page on Facebook and Blind Boy Boat Club, are responsible for the sharp rise in casual sectarianism among the younger generation.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I skip through all the back and forth rows now

I actually used to do a little bit of it but it's bad for the mental health

• Registered Users Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Yes, reddit is what you make of it. If you do nothing you'll get a lot of cute animals, but you don't have to stay on the homepage. There are subs for every interest you can think of, including lots of 18+ if thats your thing.

I find it good for random browsing as there's so much to look at, and whatever your political or social leanings, you can find like-minded people. As a whole, it has some leanings I don't like at all (the anti-work thing got out of hand recently until this weeks' events) and some I do. And you have to remember a lot of content is American and doesn't apply to here (e.g. attitude to policing, work conditions). I find r/ireland, on the whole, more sensible than a lot on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Boards is much better for discussions but for just browsing reddit is far better. I absolutely love the upvote system on reddit but I think if boards did something similar here it would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I criticized yer aul wan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭archfi

I rarely use reddit now except finding solutions to some tech problems and as another poster said, you really need to sort out the wheat from the chaff as even the most upvoted 'solutions' may be utter bullshít, but that applies to most sites if you're looking for a fix to a problem or a how to.

I never go near their political subs as these are complete echo chambers.

reddit is also packed with degenerates and some of the most disgusting/abusive subs/forums anywhere - paedos, incels, rapists and that's just some of the moderators (true story) Adults encouraging children to mutilate themselves and worse, if that's possible.

Whatever I can negatively say about boards.ie the odd time, it can never be put in the same hellhole category as what reddit encourages.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Advertisement