Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards vs Real Life

Options
  • 20-01-2022 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

How does your conversation and communication differ outside of the Boardsverse?

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Very similar to here, really.

If I agree with what they’re saying, I write my name on a piece of paper and stick it onto them.

If I don’t agree, I find someone who will argue with them and stick my piece of paper to them instead.

Sometimes I’ll repeat what someone just said, and shout “This!”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

No difference, now that I can finally type as fast as I speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Lots of do-gooders and sticklers for rules on here

I could mention some project I'm about to take on to a real life person and the reaction could vary from "yea that might work" to "go for it!!" (if it is actually a good idea)

On boards, no matter how good or bad the idea is there will be a good few fear mongerers saying "Don't do it! You'll get killed", "Its illegal!", "You'll get sued!", "It's terribly immoral!". Not every boardsie is like that but the ones that are make it their business to drown out the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

In real life, when somebody says something I agree with or says something funny I always say thanks and give them a thumbs up 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I guess the biggest difference is that I don’t “encounter” as many bigots, misogynists, racists and, generally angry people in real life. Which is great, considering the large social circles I’d move in.

Overall, I’d say I’m much the same. Well liked and treating others with respect, and dignity, where applicable.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SamStonesArm

Much the same but I'd tell people to go fcuk themselves more in real life than here incase I get banned haha.

• I maintain a policy of greeting persons below me, in the outside world.

I'm much more smarter in real life

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'm more laid back, you can't be as serious

Totally different in real life I think. I see boards as an intellectual martial arts mat sometimes. As in a certain level of confrontation and debate is expected - so that is how I behave. Which I simply do not do in real life.

When I am on the mat in my school - I spar. When I am on the mat here - I spar. In neither place do I do it to "win" but to self improve.

Whereas in real life I am generally entirely consumed by one hobby or another - or with my relationship, family or friends. I am generally very active and engaged - but at the same time very laid back and relaxed and calm in real life. Kinda have to be for many of the hobbies I have where being highly strung and emotional will simply get in the way and reduce performance.

I have been activist in real life on a few issues at the time - so perhaps my real life persona became a little more like my boards persona then at times. I was active all over the country for the last popular referendums for example.

But there are other posts I make here that are not in debates. Like some quite long posts in the Gentleman's Forum or the Personal Issues forum where I am genuinely trying to help another person with an issue. That would be more like how I am in real life I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

I thought Boards was coming after me there for a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Same everywhere you look People just ain't no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,978 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

whats real life?

I’d have to agree with Emmet about not knowing or engaging in real life with the sort of extreme individuals you sometimes find here.

Like the sort of men (always men) who listen to radio shows they despise just so they can comment on them. Or watch the Late Late Show religiously so they can complain about it. There’s a desperate vibe of loneliness and negativity about them. You’d almost feel sorry for them. They have abnormal personalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm taller outside boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭archfi

Well, this is going well.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

If the users of boards mirrored the “real world” Peter Casey would be the President of Ireland. If you remember, ADP.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Very angry "funny" men. A lot of them actually consider themselves failed comedians in their own minds. You can tell from their desperate attempts at humourous barbed observations about Ryan Tubridy, Ciara Kelly or Tony Holohan, but unfortunately they lack the prerequisite wit for it to sound anything other than bilious.

They should stick to sexist comments in Whatsapp banter groups or making their spouses uncomfortable in social occasions by making boomer "I hate my wife" remarks. Angry, angry men.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Three of them here now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Chalk and cheese for me. I would be less likely to get into a debate online compared to real life. The people I meet day to day seem to be a bit happier too and less worried about covid, asylum seekers and people on the dole.

There used to be a very prominent poster on here who I genuinely felt sorry for. He fancied himself as a master writer of florid prose, a real pensman, however all of his posts were paragraph after paragraph of the worse kind of over-written drunken swill from a bitter middle aged failure who had to watch The Late Late every Friday with his mother.

He was so insanely twisted with jealousy he actually believed people who ate sandwiches in pubs were top-hatted toff factory owners from the 18th century, whetting their palette after a hard day's whipping of the ordinary man.

He constantly made snide, bitchy remarks towards everyone he didn't like, only to withdraw into a whiny pity-party whenever anyone would counter his vile slurs.

He posted about drinking a lot and from the times he would be posting you could tell that he was constantly sozzled. He is a poster I would like to meet in real life, offering him a shoulder to cry on and a big hug. His little shoulders heaving with every pathetic sob as I commiserate with him and urge him to "let it out, let it all out [Bertie]." (Not his real name)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

What a bizarre post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I think real life is starting to look like Boards.

I've said before in other threads, certain posters don't really debate. They claim to be making a point, when in reality all they're interested in is scoring a point.

I worked with a chap years ago. Spent his time trying to be the intellectual superior in the office, was forever spouting his 'right-on' credentials. Everyone was polite to him, but I think he knew deep down that he was held in almost universal contempt. He was RIGHT and his 70 plus colleagues were all wrong. Actually, now that I think back on it, I don't really recall anyone bothering to argue a point with him.

Then along comes the Internet and gives idiots like this guy a platform to show off their smugness. I do my best not to interact with them online, unless I'm addressed directly by them, in which case I behave as I do in real life, with a polite response followed by no further engagement.

If you watch certain threads, you'll see the smug types all thanking each other. I imagine them in a crowded room, seated separately and glancing around hoping to catch the eye of one of their smug peers, who in turn gives an almost imperceptible nod and a small smirk.

Anyway, its not as bad as I may have painted it, I think most people on Boards are normal, like me 🤣 , the 'normies' as I call us. We're a large but generally inoffensive group which means the headcases tend to stand out.

I do hope there's none of them in here, or I'll be smugged to death.

Fvp4!!!!!!!

How am I only realising this now.

Thanks Emmet :D

@CGI_Livia_Soprano

I too would like to meet said poster in real life because I believe he is a decent skin who is comfortable as he is without the need for multiple online personas.

I’m sure that there is a good man underneath all the bitter remarks and accusations of sock puppeting.

There was another very popular poster who I remember bullied me off the site. He was extremely prominent, starting “game” threads about which is the best flavour of crisp or who was the sexiest man in Wham.

Whenever I would post in a thread this poster and his cronies would brigade it with references to posts I have made about my personal life in an effort to discredit me. I would report it to the moderators but because they’re all mates they wouldn’t do anything about it, and I would in turn be threatened with bans (or banned full stop!).

The pile ons were constant and exhausting and, as unflappable as I was, I was genuinely afraid Crisp Guy or one of his goons would even doxx me in an effort to get under my skin.

So I closed my account, took a break, and created this one where I post very little personal information. I learned a valuable lesson on what cyberbullying is like that day, even a man as “mature” as myself. 😆

My point is that I don’t think Crisp Guy (not his real username) is as much of a bully in real life as he is on boards. Indeed judging by all of the sidekicks he had by his side ready to invade a thread to bully someone at a moment’s notice he was clearly fairly popular and convincing.

However, with me online, he really showed the worst side of his character. I would love it if he tried any of that kind of shite in real life. I’d love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

IRL, I interject in conversations with "fyp...", "yore ma...", etc.

Plus, no one calls me Pherekydes.

Plus, I have more sex.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,957 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I can't say whether the style or mannerisms of my thoughts are the same in real life ... but I can say when I signed up for an account, I made the conscious decision to try and only post thoughts I'd be happy to stand over in real life: no keyboard warrior stuff; no "virtue signalling" etc; that if I said it out loud, in a social gathering, it would be an opinion relatively honest and contextual to the scenario. Whether I've lived up to it, who knows/cares?

Given that, I do sometimes wonder if others are the same; I'd read some opinions so openly, egregiously ... divisive or hostile, I find it hard to believe they'd have the nerve to voice them among friends, family or co-workers. That's not a judgement of character or anything: after all, it's kind of the appeal of semi-anonymous posting in the first place; especially among Free Speech hardliners. I just took the personal decision to keep pixelburp as approximately true to my own, voiced, opinions, as possible. Knowing too that mind simply annoy, anger or alienate some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭HBC08

You always have the same dig at middle aged men,always...

It's as predictable as it is weird.

You need to have a word with yourself.

Also I think you're projecting a bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement