Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are people able to drink pints?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It's a fair question OP. When I started drinkong pints at 18 or so 2/3 would do me fine. As I grew up and bigger over a few years I just wanted to keep on drinking and 5 or 6 was only a start no pain or forcing. Some nights I'd spend over 30 Quid when pints were just over a pound in the early 80's and not feel full, really and not much of a hangover the next day. Nowadays depending on the night 5 or six would be it usually and I can get a hangover!

Can't explain it I suppose the body/belly adapts to a large extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭spakman

Imagine trying that **** with an engineer! The fcking nerve of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭standardg60

I remember (vaguely) being in a Dutch bar one time on holidays and the 'pint' level on the glass was a good inch below the top of the glass to allow for the 'head'.

T'was the night of Keane's interaction with Viera in the tunnel, we were most welcome being Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

I'm not a medical doctor but sounds like you should get yourself tested for celiac disease.

"Alcohol is allowed in the celiac diet, as long as you choose the right types of alcohol. Beer and ale are usually made from barley, and are not safe for celiacs to drink. Wines, which are made from grapes, are safe for people with celiac disease. This includes fortified wines, like sherry and port, cider and clear spirits.

https://www.celiacedmonton.ca › alc...

Alcohol in the Celiac Diet

Post edited by daithi7 on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Back when I drank, I could do the couple of seconds pint, which surprised most people as I'm smaller than them. Loved beating the bigger lads. All beer btw, cider make me puke instantly and stout, I don't want ateing in me drinkin. Nicest beer I've ever had was Jupiler, which by all accounts is a cheap beer, but myself and the brother figured out it was the smaller bubbles that made it nicer. Same with St. Etienne in Aldi, smaller bubbles. I used to be able to drink upwards of 10 pints and a few shots on a night out, that fizzled down to 4 pints, 6 vodka/rum and cokes and a few shots. Towards the end of my drinking, I used to have to make myself sick after a pint or two to make room for more.

Anyway, now that I've basically given it up, I can't stand the taste of any alcohol, and genuinely believe we all fool ourselves into thinking alcohol can taste nice. It only tastes nice when you completely remove the taste to begin with, ie: some cocktails. All beers, lagers, stouts, ciders, spirits... They're all manky, but we fool ourselves into liking them so we can be part of the social wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Spend an hour with a drunkard and he will regale you with sob stories from their adolescence, or tell you "hilarious" anecdotes from secondary school. Nobody who drinks to excess is "over" their upbringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I have to water down beer just to swallow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,202 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Your accusing them of skimming customers...when you literally stole from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I paid them hundreds for a bed for a couple of nights. Fair enough. Still they're skimming customers who come in for a pint and get less

• Registered Users Posts: 32,202 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It doesn't really matter it doesn't mean you should nick things...bar the little soaps and shower gels...

I also don't think the Europa are looking to swindle you out of a couple of milliliters of beer by using official glasses.

So it's OK to nick sanitary items but not a glass? The point was they were not serving a pint. I hope you enjoyed your 'free' shower

I love pints. As you get older your ability to horse back a dozen of them might stay the same, but the effects on the mood and the digestive system the next day does change. Beer is a relatively harmless substance though. Its volume lends itself to a long day at it; you can't say that about about the top shelf or the vino.

As my English teacher once told us - you don't drink a gallon because you are thirsty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

I remember being in the pub one night after being at the races all day. Went back to the local and had a big heavy dinner down on top of the 6 or 8 I had drank at the races. Switched to cider as its lighter than stout. Had 4 or 5 large bottles and I just remember half way through the last pint I had that i physically couldn’t get any more fluid into me. I tried to take a drink and it just wouldn’t go down my swallow function had stopped working. It was like trying to pour more water into an already full glass and just overflowed.

the Funny thing was I wasn’t even drunk the dinner sobered me up a bit and then I tipped away on cider. It was a mad experience never happened me before or since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Where's Pintman' Paddy Losty when you need him?

"And I wouldn't be fond of drinking but when I do go at it, I go at it awful and very hard.

I do have four to five pints in about two hours. I'd have a packet of crisps then, and a maybe an auld packet of peanuts.

And I'd go for probably... I'd have 10 more anyway. And I'd get up the following morning and Maureen would have the fry on.

And I'd go at again. And there'd be no f***ing stopping me. I'd take the shirt off any man's back. B*****ds."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

My childhood trauma was no pints for 18 years.

Oh ok then, 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Anyone who would coin the hashtag #weights&measures should probably

1) Log off of the Internet forever

2) gather all their devices in the back yard, douse them in lighter fluid and set them on fire. In case of any temptation. (I was going to say gather all your wife's devices too, but let's not kid ourselves)

3) Unplug the router, take it to the nearest train tracks and lay it carefully on the rail and await its obliteration, kinda like the DeLorean time machine. No going back now Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Forget pints, when I lived in Germany I drank steins. That is 1 litre glass for those who don’t know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

And I wouldn't be fond of drinkin' but when I go at it, I do go at it awful and very hard. I do have forty-five pints in in about 2 hours. I'd have a packet a crips then and maybe an oul packet a peanuts and I'd go for probably and I'd have 10 more anyway and then and get up the followin' mornin, an' Maureen'd have the fry on and I'd go at it agin and there'd be no fuckin shtoppin' me I take the shirt of any man's back, bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I sometimes think of the awful pisswater I used to drink back in my college days and wonder how did I do it!! My budget was really tight so I mainly contented myself with cheap stuff like Dutch Gold, Royal Dutch, Carling, Harp and another awful discontinued beer called Kelly's which was packaged in what kinda looked like the old 90's Harp can design. I also think Hudson Blue and Devil's Bit cider are the two main reasons I need to take an Omeprazole before I drink anything now.

The foulest creation I ever sipped however was a putrid blend of Carlsberg and Pernod Black in the one glass. After about 4 of those and a kebab I destroyed myself, and my lovely dragon design shirt with vomit on a night out in Tralee.

Nowadays I stick to Guinness (or Murphy's if available) or a good quality lager or red ale. I can't go near something like Heineken because it gives me appalling hangovers. I'm quite partial to a nice Weissbeer or a bottle of Lomza Unfiltered also.

My old local had the nicest pints of Carlsberg ever. Lovely creamy pints. When the crai was good you'd sink them pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

We harnessed the natural world, reclaimed land from the sea etc... crazy **** that's not normal by the standards of any other animal on this planet. People run continuously through exhaustion to complete some pointless endurance event. Even the most impressive animals on the planet (better athletes than any human) wouldn't even attempt such things, because it's dumb and pointless. But we humans do these things!

"There's a big mountain, everyone who tries to climb it usually dies"... "Shure fcuk it, I'll climb it anyway!" 😆

In the grand scheme of things, necking pint loads of a diluted poisonous substance isn't really that big of a deal by human standards. Just par for the course behavior really, based on our history.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

I would definitely need use of a catheter were I to attempt any more than 2 pints. I once got this giant boot glass of beer in a German gastro pub in Namibia, just to take a photo of it really, certainly couldn’t down it.

The trick is to drink a few pints beforehand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Sip one slowly with friends in a pub after a long week. Doesn’t get better than that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

To function the following morning about 6 pints of lager or Guinness

I cant do many more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Through their mouths I'd assume?

To thine own self be true

Advertisement