Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravity Enduro 2022

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Hush is one of my favourite places at the moment, and it's getting better with more trails opening up. You'd easily get 40k in and still not do all the trails there, unbelievable for such a compact area.

Never been to Bree yet but definitely will get down over the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Finally bit the bullet and I'm entered for the Enduro next week. Only the mash up on Saturday to see how it goes.

I have a question though in relation to gopro's or any other cameras - I've been through the rules and can't see anything about their use, though from the amount of footage on YouTube I figure it's common. What I really wanted to know though, is whether or not its OK to use a chest mount or does it have to be on the helmet? Personally prefer the POV from a chest mount, but the last thing I want to do is rock up to collect my number to be told I can't use the chest mount and not have a back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭prunudo

First off, good luck with the race, main thing is to just enjoy it.

Don't personally use a camera but any event I've done I've often seen people wear chest mounted cameras and never noticed anyone being pulled up on it.

What's Ballyhoura like guys? I've never been and its a good 5 hrs round trip for me. Is it all coilte trails that are used for the enduro?

There's so many off piste trails up there, I think they do their best to avoid the trail center stuff. Any videos I've seen of Gravity and Grassroots events there in the past have had very little coillte stuff. Though I suppose one of the new trails, Chunky Chops, could be used - but it's not the typical manicured trail.

https://youtu.be/MZ4jsUG3efc

• Advertisement

Dear Lord 😳. Looks like the enduro bike will be staying in the shed for this one! It's one for the trail bike by the looks of that.

Edit: Although I just had a look at some YouTube clips and the natural stuff looks class. Hopefully they'll stick to those trails with small sections of coilte stuff rather than other way around.

Imo, the gravity series has become quite toned down. As good as Ballinastoe is now, they utilised far too much of the trail centre stuff without combining any of the older natural stuff, rather than opening it up, they've let them get over grown, for fear that people will use them, (again, just my opinion).

I did both Djouce (Gravity) and Bree (Grassroots) and have to say they even managed to tone down Djouce, Bree was a level up, not complaining, its good to get tested at an event.

No comparison between grassroots and the gravity series. I think the numbers speak for themselves too with the grassroots selling out in 5 min, while gravity numbers are down by an average of 100 compared to last year. I did Djouce and Bree also and the difference was stark.

Post edited by Wailin on

Posted on Facebook today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

It looked very pedally. I heard someone say it was 90% trail centre stuff. Not a great advert for the national champs.

• Advertisement

That sounds pretty accurate for the mash-up anyway. It was 3 of the new, previously unopened and unridden black trails and one previously opened black trail (Chunky Chops - now renamed Free Bird 🙄). It was my first time doing a Gravity Enduro so I'd love to hear others feedback on whether it was representative of the terrain and features typically used for these events or not? I'm debating about entering Carrick at the moment

I think its time they removed gravity from their name 🙂

Vitus Pedally Enduro Series

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

So I bit the bullet and sign up for the GE in Cahir. (1st time doing GE) Only to see now that's it's 7 stages. Not sure my fitness level will stand up to this 🤔😂

Best of luck Ceepo! Let us know how you get on and what you think of it compated to GR. I don't think I'll bother signing up myself.

Not sure what the trail network is like in Cahir but I'd imagine the overall lenght will still be around 30km despite there being 7 stages. He'll be doing himself no favours if he runs 40km at short notice.

I've done some of the trails in Cahir a few times. They're fine really. There is an older DH trail that they might use, there is a road gap on it that I certainly wouldn't be doing, not sure if would be normal for such a feature in GE. There's is also a new trail that they're supposed to be using. Not sure how that's going to stand up to a lot of bikes in it.

@prunudo I'm not sure of the overall distance as it will depend on some of the stages they use and where they finish. Some of them finish in the carpark, and it's a nice cycle back to the top form there. There is a few shorter trails as well so the cycle back up isn't as bad.

Looks like you'll be okay, post on Instagram earlier, 24km and 900m of climbing, so not too bad.

Oh really. Hadn't seen that, not bad so. They must be short stages so. From memory of doing the GR last year, I think the overall winning time was around 6/6.30 mins for the 3 stages.

So I went over to Cahir for the practice day. First time doing a Gravity enduro, although I did a mash up before, so I can't compare to other GE events. Underwhelmed would be a fair comment. 7 trails, with approx 1200m of climbing and 25k of cycling. Didn't have my watch on so just going from what a few others were saying. Small numbers meant that there was no really atmosphere there at all I think there was less that 90 entered the classic. No food or water out on the course or at the car park at the finish area. The course lay out meant that you were only heading back to the car park at the end, while this wasn't a bad thing, if we knew there was not food or water out there, you could bring some more with you. A lot of people "mentioned" the lack of same. And I was fairly hungry finishing up. Luckily enough I had enough water with me. Only a hand full of Marshalls around. Trails themselves were similar to other years, stage one was way out to the right with a long cycle out to it and a long transition back to stage 2, stages 2.3.4.5 all in of the same trail. 6 was a new short trail, and 7 was from the open mountain back to the car park down some of the old DH trail. Grip was a bit hit and miss really, some sections were fine others had rock and roots so, lap of the gods really when you have limited skill😂. Cahir is local enough to me, which was the deciding factor in entering. I can't see myself doing GE again really, as I just don't the value in it tbh.

Tmr will be interesting if we get the weather that's forecast.

• Advertisement

Don't write it off yet. Before mash-up came along, the Saturday or practice day was always a bit more relaxed with a less structured feel to the day.

Organisers of the GE (I think most here know who) have shot themselves in the foot with the huge price hikes and obvious lack of interest in running a well organised event. It's just a pure money grab at this stage and it's clear people have shown their disdain by the lack of numbers. The future of it looks uncertain I believe. Unless there's a drastic drop in entry fees (€75 for the classic!), nothing will change next year. Huge price increases but also a drop in the quality of the service (no trail maintenance before event, lack of food and water stations etc) has been it's downfall. Pity really. It used to be such a fantastic event with great atmosphere.

I'm not writing it off completely. Just my thoughts on today really. Bare in mind there was no mash up today as they have it running concurrent tmr. Not sure how that will work in practice. I know the GE riders are off first. Stages 1 to 7. Mash up are doing 3, 5 and 7. So you would imagine there will be an overlap.

There's no doubt that if you have a lot of events on people will have to make a decision where to spend there money. With all the events competing for the same small pool of riders, And in general people will go where they feel they're getting value for money. And I believe the organiser has brought WE events to Ireland, serious kudos for bringing them events here. But it might be a case of by standing still, you're going backwards.

If I was to argue about paying €75 v's value foe money, honestly the didn't represent VFM.

I'll be honest, I was half tempted to sign up for mash up tomorrow until I saw the weather. But a bit like you with Hush, I wasn't going to spend money on a 5 hour round trip just to get soaking wet again.

Grab a rain jacket come one. Sure you'll be grand 😂

So just a quick comment on yesterday. Conditions weren't the best with some heavy showers although we probably got away with some of the heavy rain that was forecast. Stage one started of very wet, so that was it for the day really. I crashed on S1 and S2 nothing serious really just lost the front wheel and it didn't help the confidence levels. Got through S3, S4 and S5 ok and then made a total mess of S6. Had to dab the foot and couldn't get clipped in for what felt ages over some janky rocky/root section so lost a lot of time there. Got through S7 fine. Can't say I was quick on any of them but got through it none the less. Way better atmosphere there, probably due to the fact there was more people around for both the GE and the mash up.

I'm not 100% sure if I'll do another GE next year. Might just stick to GR, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out tbh.

Advertisement