Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravity Enduro 2022

Options
  • 19-01-2022 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Just checked their website and the schedule is up for 2022

Djouce 11/12 June - Entries open 13 May

B-Stoe 9/10 July - Entries open 10 June

Cahir 13/14 August - Entries open 8 July

Carrick 3/4 September - Entries open 12 August

You used to be able to just enter them all in one go so will have to set reminders now for when entries open

Shame not to see Ticknock on there for so many years but delighted Djouce and Carrick are there. B-Stoe can be good but years ago it was too Coillte trail focused

Is the Grassroots format again - so one day's racing which is a bit of a shame and one initial selling point of the races was 2 days on the bike, but in any case it will be fun

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭prunudo

I suspect they are still reluctant to allow block booking due to covid. Things are looking up on that front but the last 2 years of cancelled and postponed events must make anyone organising something nervous to commit too far in advance.

Will probably do the 3 Wicklow ones as they are essentially on my doorstep. 5 months to get in shape now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Gerry

Great news. Ill try do Djouce and Carrick. Hopefully having decent knowledge of djouce will help.

The format suits me as I wouldn't get to spend a whole weekend at it. Last year Carrick worked out great, was able to have 2 runs on 2 of the stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Haven't raced for about 4 years now but might dust off the race Goggles this summer. Same as above sent haven't weekends free anymore so one day style racing suits perfect.

Now off to search Google on how to lose a dad bod in 5 months.... :)

So entries opened this week, with a mixed format. Who's signed up. I'll be doing djouce and then Ballinastoe with a bit of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I'm down for Djouce and Ballinastoe, Saturdays. Hope it's dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Entered also. Almost all of the dates don't suit for one reason or another. Went in for the Classic 5 stage format at Ballinastoe on the Sunday. Must head up and reacquaint myself with some of the natural trails. Didn't bother with the others. I'm over in Djouce with almost every spin I do and Carrick the slots left for Carrick just didn't suit.

We were up in Ballinastoe last Saturday having a look. There are a few new trails being worked on, and presumably they'll be ready for the GE in July. We walked up one, and it looked well decent.

Hopefully they don't use too many of the Coillte trails tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Gerry

They won't use much of the coillte, last time it was expressway only. Ive signed up for ballinstoe and carrick, classic. bit gutted to be missing out on djouce though.

Anyone been up around Djouce the last couple of evenings, saw signs and felling machine up near top of Dutch Gold last weekend. Hope they won't be felling around the trails until after the enduro.

• Advertisement

A mate was there the other day, saying they're clearing out trees around the top carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Was there for a walk today and they've felled below the middle carpark and have marked the start of river run for felling too unfortunately. Place will be in a right mess when they're done with it 🙄

Sad to see but unfortunately they are commercial plantations. Its going to be a reality of many of the forests we use as most of them are of the age where they will be felled. Was in Hush yesterday and there is felling going on there too.

All over. Was at Downs Hill for the first time in a while over the weekend and its seen some action too.

My first time entering an enduro race and it was very good I have to say. I did the 3 stage mash up on the saturday and thought it was a great set up. Was nervous as hell on the first run but relaxed a bit more for the second. I probably should have went for a third run, particularly on stage 1 as I left some easy seconds there on the section after phantom. I was hoping to get into the top 20 in my class (veterans), but not to be and came in 26th out of 55 with a time of 8:55.

Overall it was a great experience and I'm looking forward to Ballinastoe. Really curious as to what they'll do for the stages there as all the natural trails are more or less gone.

Was a good day, glad I went with the mash up version. Wasn't as quick as yourself but still happy with where I placed with lack of racing, getting older, injury and lack of confidence in the 3 years since last race. Stage 3 was my favourite and highest position but the pedally, flat corners and rooty sections of the other two aren't my strong points.

Likewise, it will be interesting to see what they do with Ballinastoe. Wouldn't take much to get stage 3 opened but starting lower down near zipper. Similarly, stage 2 is still more or less there. Not sure about 1, 4 and 5 though. Was up there on Sunday and noticed Big Vinnie is blocked off now. :(

Anyone have a Strava for the Djouce 5 stages on Sunday? Interested to see what they used in addition to the Saturday 3.

This is a map of the 5 stages. I watched a YouTube clip of stage 5. Looked absolutely awful, more of an xc route than enduro. Stage 4 not much better.

Stage 5 is at the start of this video.

https://youtu.be/XqjKxE4wWao

Post edited by Wailin on

Nice historical nod to the area in naming the trail Junkers.

Back on topic though, not mad on the idea of using so much trail centre for the enduro series, but sure we'll see how it pans out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Id love to do one or two of these, but I haven't done anything other than Coillte trails. I'd be fit enough but these trails look fairly rugged towards Coillte. Would it be OK for a relatively new comer to take part or is it for the more serious bikers?

Of all of them, I would say Ballinastoe is the best one to dip your toe into enduro racing. The natural stuff there isn't too steep or technical.

So Ballinastoe, to sum up in one word 'hot'. New trails are great particularly upper section of stage 3 and some nice work on new 4, didn't like stage 2 mind you (from an enduro point of view). I struggled for energy in the heat but enjoyed it all nonetheless. My lack of skills on big table jumps and some pedally sections let my times down but no mechanicals or injuries so won't complain.

More or less the same as yourself. Set myself an arbitrary goal of top 50% vs the field and vs the M40's and failed on both, but not far off. Was very glad I had a slot as one of the first riders off because damn it was hot.

Was the first rider down stage 4. Came barreling around a corner about 3/4 of the way down to find some lad after ditching his bike on its side blocking the whole trail and him just sitting there on a tree stump. Tried to ride around and got stuck in a bush as he came strolling over giving out, telling me to relax, that I wasn't on a flippin' stage .. when within eyesight there was a load of stage tape all around him. No idea where he was going on how he got to where he was without having the brain power to figure out he shouldn't have been there. At least the bike was out of the way for the next rider down, but yer man was still standing in the middle of the line!

Really enjoyed myself at stoe as well, did the mash up and it was great fun. I loved the mix of old and new trails for stage 1, very fast in parts and pedally in others. Stage 2 was all pump and pedal and not very "enduro" at all, my least favourite by a mile. Up to stage 3 and was flying until I hit a stump and otb, knocked me for six. The time was a non runner so back up for a second round of the 3 and managed a clean run on St 3 which was probably my favourite of the lot. I wanted to get another go at 3 since I only had one clean run but the bike was making weird noises when pedalling, I thought it was the freehub ready to go so called it a day. Happy enough with my time considering, came in 16th in my category out of 41, my goal was to be in top 20.

Going to head back soon to see what stages 4 and 5 were like for the classic. Nice to see an all natural stage being used (st4). Numbers were down compared to Djouce and I reckon the lack of natural had a lot to do with it.

Well done on the placing, just shows you don't need big travel bikes to enjoy yourself and take part in races.

Thanks, I have a bigger travel enduro bike but glad I brought the trail bike, it suited the trails there a lot better.

Will miss Cahir due to being away but will sign up for Carrick in September. Will also sign up for the GAP team enduro end of August. That should be good craic.

Not sure if @steamsey is still around, so won't start a 2023 thread yet as its usually his baby.

But anyone signing up for any of the this seasons races, sales must be slow as they seem to be pushing them quite a bit on social media.

Ballinastoe is next month and personal undecided whether to take part, fitness is lagging this year and tbh, I wasn't a fan of the stages last year, good trails but not enduro trails imo.

Not sure if I'll make ballinastoe myself this year as I've a minor operation due start of May. Might not be ready for the enduro a week later. But definitely going to enter the rest and the grassroots if I can get an entry. Slow uptake alright for the gravity enduros. Price hikes definitely a part to play but I reckon they will start to sell quickly as the time draws near.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Am still around from time to time. Did the B-Stoe Mashup recently. Really enjoyed it but just wasn't fit enough to get a good time. All eyes on Djouce (doing the classic) and then the Grassroots Enduros in Hush and Bree. If anyone hasn't ridden in Hush before it's well worth a trip - as is Bree.

Advertisement