Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What part-if any-should Ireland play in the defence of Ukraine if Russia invades?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

You know what I see happening here. The Russians are no ejits. I think the Russian fleet will arrive there early either on the 31st of January or earlier even. They will push there engines to the limit if they have to or even over it to get there before the fishing trawlers.

The Russians were never going to give out the exact day they will be there or time.

It should be interesting next week to see who gets there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

I don't know whether to be shocked or amazed at the fishermen:

From the RTE article:https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0127/1276135-ireland-ukraine/

'Mr Byrne said he was impressed with Ambassador Yury Filatov's "wealth of knowledge" on "the complexity of the situation".'

'The meeting lasted 50 minutes at the Russian Embassy in Dublin. The representatives said a number of options were discussed at the meeting but they could not go into detail due to the sensitivity of the operation.'

AND!

'Earlier today, the CEO of the Irish South and West Fish Producers Organisation said the department notice is a "disgrace".'

So,

I'm reading this as the nice man from Russia brought the lads in, offered a few Ferrero Rocher and vodka and while smiling said something like. "yes we know you want to fish, that's ok, we will move our fleet 5 degrees west. No problem. I'll ring the Naval commander and ask that he; no, I will demand that he comply. I'll ring him there just as soon as you leave. Take a few extra Rocher with you on the way out lads, you deserve them."

While the nasty Irishman said, "lads you're going out there at your own risk, there's not an insurance agency in the land that will cover you and you'll be fecked if you think we'll be able to help, you'll have to limp in on your own if anything happens."

Here's two images for contrast: (Image1 from RTE and Image2 from The Times UK/ANTON VAGANOV/REUTERS)

And finally, check out the Russian Ministry of Defense Twitter that are embedded in this article from the guys over that the US Naval institute.

If you are heading out there, be careful and enjoy it.

Looking like the Cork fishermen are the boys to deal with Putin! Ukraine should ask for their services.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Can we organise a whip around so we can buy them some weapons.

• Advertisement

Looks like they have been codded as Russia says no guarantees were given?

Maybe the fishermen should look at the USS Cole attack for some inspiration

The Russians were feeding them a line and just talking Pollocks.

Looks like they fell for it hook line and sinker!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Absolute eejits. Do they really think the Russian ambassador told them confidential military plans, on the understanding that they wouldn’t tell anyone? 🤣

Criticising our government for issuing a factual warning while lavishly praising the Russians for telling them any old bullshït. The Russians must have got some laugh out of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So is WW3 on the horizon ?

Ukraine wants to join the EU, will join the EU and it has close ties with the EU…it’s not going to stand ideally by on the doorstep of carnage in the Ukraine, the US isn’t going to hang around if the shît hits the fan…can’t afford too…

i need a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Can I remind people that "Ukraine" is not a single nation unified behind the government in Kiev? There are areas in the East and South where a majority would be happy to become part of Russia. I have no trouble imagining that a Russian takeover of those areas would have few or no international consequences. A Russian attack on Kiev would be a different matter entirely.

But as for imagining that Ireland would have any part to play ... no. I saw some posts about the Irish Air Force that suggest they could go after tanks ... also no. The Russian Air Force would soon establish air superiority over any Russian ground operations, and any foreign air assets would be grounded. A Su-35 wouldn't even waste a missile on a Pilatus, the 30mm cannon is cheaper to run.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

That's an interesting observation as it may not be an accident why Russia choose where they did... we are neutral but favor US... Then they decide to have exercise close to Shannon.... Personally i do not think Russia will invade but they want to kindof have economiccontrol which is likely to happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I heard on the wireless this morning that Kerry fishermen, the Healy Rays and Bomber Liston getting involved in maneuvers...

ROTFLTAO from what I heard.

I believe one of them actually fell off the chair (In covulsions) - Vodka, presumably - and the others couldn't pick them up, such was the consternation from all in the room afterwards that day.

Go on, remind us again where these people are.

Down in the south and east you say, mmmh. Come on, tell us more than just remind us.

By the way my ip address is 192.............

Haack away Good Comrade

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We should send in the Irish Ninjas

Well I think it's time to deploy out ultimate weapon!

Michael D.

Just imagine him on the deck of a ship facing the Russian fleet broadcasting on all frequencies and loudhailers poetry at them. Their translators would be totally lost.

They wouldn't be able to get away fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭gifted

The catering???....they could do the catering......bowl of bacon and cabbage Vlad?.......bit of soda bread there Boris and your shot up chest be grand.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Can't we just look the other way and start up our own internal feuding just like we did before :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Joe Duffy will have a week of shows.

No , they are still doing in an extremely important location off our coast.

It's more than likely they will end up exactly where they going in the first place being we can't monitor or prevent them

Yeah, like I was saying in my comment that the ambassador willl demand they move 5 degrees west. That was me joking about what was hypothetically said in a private meeting.

The difference now is that the Russians have put it on record through their Irish embassy that they will move location and even if we cannot monitor it you can be damn sure that someone will be watching.

The statement.

"In response to the requests from the Irish government as well as from the Irish South and West Fish Producer's Organisation, the Minister of Defence of the Russian Federation Sergey Shoigu has made a decision, as a gesture of goodwill, to relocate the exercises by the Russian Navy, planned for February 3-8, outside the Irish exclusive economic zone (EEZ), with the aim not to hinder fishing activities by the Irish vessels in the traditional fishing areas."

The same Russian who saying they are not going to invade ukraine and they haven't moved 120,000 troops to the Ukrainian border ,

The same Russians who shot down a civilian airliner and to this day deny it ,

Who the fauq would believe anything the Russians say

Well,they haven't invaded, they appear to be preparing for an invasion. but it hasn't happened yet.

They'll never admit to shooting down anything.

I would take anything they say with a pinch of salt, but they have publicly stated they wil not operate within an area and all we can do is wait to see if they do that. We have to take their word for it.

“Can I remind people that "Ireland" is not a single nation unified behind the government in Dublin? There are areas in the North of the country and South East Dublin where a majority would be happy to become part of Britain. I have no trouble imagining that a British takeover of those areas would have few or no international consequences. A British attack on Dublin would be a different matter entirely.”

Heh, you’re funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

we should be polite to both sides and keep out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Advertisement