Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft buys Activision-Blizzard

Comments

I've always said I'm not so sure what I'll do when the 3 year gold to GP conversion is gone. Everyone saying GP is an absolute steal are on this deal. I think we're close to them pulling the plug on Gold and you do have to wonder how many people will still be singing its praises at €15 p.m. The Activision catalog certainly makes it better value and I suppose that's the ultimate goal. Netflix of gaming, where its just not worth the bother cancelling as there's always something to watch (in this case, play).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

One piece of good new is that Microsoft still have a tonne of cash lying around even after this so shouldn't need to squeeze punters to pay off destabilising loans.

cash on hand for the quarter ending September 30, 2021 was $130.615B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This makes me laugh. Calling people delusional whilst believing that Sony are some heroes who developed games just for the sake of gamers. They didn’t. They bought studios.

They created exclusives and restricted access to games for many gamers

Even with this generation they increased prices of games, made backwards compatibility difficult and upgrade of games to next gen versions very difficult.

In the mean time , Xbox developed and released Game Pass. Made it affordable to many. New Triple A games released on the platform on day one feel free to consumers but somehow this is a bad thing?

The model works and developers love the model too as it gives them cash flow during development , enabling them to put more into games and they are finding that they make more money as it turns out Game Pass players spend more on in game transactions and also often buy the game.

Also after this deal Xbox will still be only the third largest gaming company in the world. Behind Ten Cent and guess who, well Sony, but somehow Xbox are bad for competition.

Finally anybody thinking that after this closes that CoD won’t be Xbox exclusive are just PlayStation fans that are in denial. Look at what happened with Bethesda where people were saying the exact same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's only €13 if you get Ultimate or €10 for either PC or Console on its own.

So even at full price it's only double the price of PS Plus from Sony if you're only picking the Xbox option.

If you do MS rewards quests and ambassador programme you practically get game pass for free.

Either way full annual sub is the price of just over 2 full price PlayStation games so I do not see how it cannot be seen as good value.

• Advertisement

I pay the €15 per month currently. For anyone who earns more than minimum wage it's a pittance for what you get in return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sony as the light and bright force for gaming good, who only make games for the love of the craft is a new one on me.

A PS5 exclusive game will set you back €80 now on the PlayStation store.

Smyth's are normally a small bit cheaper.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They could literally double the monthly cost of Game Pass and it would still be great value.

As if Sony didn't buy studios. As if Nintendo didn't abuse their position as market leader in the 80s and 90s. No, both are total angels on earth.

You must have started playing games a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭piplip87

Any chance they could buy Stadia from Google ? A brilliant cloud gaming experience apart from lack of games lol 😛😛😛😛

For me it does have its lulls. Definitely scope in there for cancelling for 2-3 months. I guess that's going to get harder and harder to say.

Also good luck buying digital PS games anywhere other than the PS Store. Way more restricted and locked down than Xbox.

Even if it were €30 a month, and therefore €360 for a year, that represents about 5 PS5 games. So if you are someone who would otherwise buy more than 5 games a year you would still be winning in terms of value for money.

At the current pricing there's just no comparison to be made.

I must have tried out about thirty games by now, completing or having a good play of a good chunk of those.

It's handy that you can risk trying a game you might not have done if you had to buy it outright.

Like was said already, even double the price would be a great deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Great news. More games added to gamepass. Win win.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No big company is in this game out of some pure ideological or creative vision. They’re all out to make money and dominate the market, and they can shite out all the ‘for the gamers’ insincere marketing gibberish they want but none of it comes for a pure-hearted place and it’s naive in the extreme to suggest otherwise.

GamePass is great value. Of course it is, although the jury’s very much still out on subscription services’ impact on the wider gaming ecosystem (especially its impact on indie releases). The problem is when power is disproportionately in the hands of a few conglomerates. We’ve seen this with Disney who’ve had an increasingly detrimental and outsized impact on the quality and plurality of mainstream film and television, and also Microsoft within the PC OS space (thoughts with everyone who has to use Microsoft Teams over the vastly superior alternatives). Microsoft so far haven’t had the same impact on their acquired game studios as Disney has, thank god, but it’s IMO important to be at least a little skeptical and concerned about the future if there’s less and less competition out there. We’ve seen Sony get unspeakably arrogant in the leading position, and we’ve seen Microsoft also make some appalling decisions that they’re still recovering from almost a decade later. Platform holders do and will again **** people over if they think it’s in their business interests.

None of this is to say Activision Blizzard was some perfect entity - exactly the opposite. The company basically needs to be completely rebuilt (especially in leadership) to remove the foul stench, and maybe Microsoft can achieve that. Still, though, a megacorp brute-forcing their way to success will always make me feel uneasy, especially when the biggest winners here are the likes of Bobby Kotick and their obscene paydays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I must have started playing games a few years ago. Welp that's hilarious, is that the best you've got?

Buying a studio and buying the studio that produces the best selling games on your competitor to choke them out is not the same. I don't agree with exclusivity at all from either side but increasing levels of aggression in that practice which could eventually lead to losing one competitor from the market is not good. The best thing for Sony is Microsoft and vice versa because it drives the industry. One horse races don't benefit anyone in the long run.

And I never said others didn't buy studios. This isn't about being a fan boy of either, I want both platforms to succeed and thrive but if one ousts the other by buying and sealing off most of the market (if the massive purchases continue), its not a good thing.

"Sony and Nintendo didn't brute force their way into being industry leaders, they made great games and let the gamers choose. "

😂

It was a one horse race until Microsoft switched Xbox to a cloud business model. It was mentioned earlier in this thread and I'm surprised its been glosed over and not a bigger part of the debate, Sony dominated last gen so much and choked the competition (xbox) so much with acquisitions and exclusivity that it was at one point looking unlikely that Xbox would continue.

It was impossible for them to survive by doing anything other than make some massive acquisitions. Do you expect them to just start making games with now with a handful of studios and wait 7 years for these games to hit the market? A whole other generation with "xbox has no games".

Everything you've just said could be aimed at Sony. More so in my mind. Xbox is fighting back, but they're still only in 3rd place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I don't agree with either being choked. It's possible to disagree with things both companies do.

This is the problem with trying to have a nuanced conversation about console gaming. The fanboys (not necessarily you) turn it into a console war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think that MS needed acquisitions to compete. But that just highlights the almost complete failure of Xbox Games Studios over the last decade. Sony didn’t choke them at all, they consistently released well received console exclusive games.

Forza Horizon I love, haven’t played Halo as it’s not my thing but it was well received. But I struggle to think of any other AAA exclusive they’ve had in the 5 years I’ve had an Xbox. Considering the studios they own in that time it’s an incredibly poor return.

So I have no faith in Phil Spencer or MS in general to run all of these studios in a way that will see us get interesting new IP or games. I suspect the goal will be a constant churn of content to advertise gamepass with these studios just doing whatever sequel to whatever games they’ve done before.

Gamepass is a great thing. MS buying publishers and studios that own popular IP and putting them under people who’s struggled to manage they studios they already had effectively, is not imo.

Xbox and PC gamers are big winners here and there's no point pretending otherwise. And all of this "brute forcing their way to success" stuff is a bizarre read to be honest.

I don't think the jury is out on subscription either. It's the future. The only question still out there is what are Sony going to do to compete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

He will leave about 6 months after the deal closes. It is pretty standard to not rock the boat during the last stages of the deal and rather slink out the back after hours.

Sadly he will leave with bucket loads of cash, and now also, likely bucket loads of MS shares too.

I can't see MS making COD exclusive. Biggest market for warzone is PS4. Also if they stick COD on PS5 at €80 and free on Gamepass it only helps sell the benefits of Gamepass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Anyone considering jumping ship? I mainly play multiplayer games on PC and single player games on PC. However, I feel like I am missing out not having game pass.

Game pass is brutal for PC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

I'm praying they revive the Starcraft franchise, slim chance of that though sadly.

The most I expect to see is fixing the many bugs in COD at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bobby Kotick is in line for a several hundred million dollar payout from his deal, mere weeks after facing a mass employee revolt after he was directly implicated in a sexual harassment and toxic workplace scandal. I think it's more than fair to call him (regrettably) a bigger winner than those who'll get Call of Duty on Game Pass on release day, much like it's fair to call spending an unprecedented $70bn to gain a competitive advantage 'brute force' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Would MS buying EA (and making their games exclusive along with Activision and Bethesda) be enough to kill off the PlayStation? Surely losing COD, FIFA and Madden would be too much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Microsoft bought rare and destroyed it…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭quokula

Yep, as much as people are trying to equate Sony and MS as having the same strategy of acquisition, they clearly don't. Sony simply couldn't afford to for one thing. But Sony's studios, pretty much without exception, were either entirely built up internally or were very close partners who worked on original IP in conjunction with Sony then ended up being brought on board.

Both Sony and MS are guilty of paying for timed exclusivity from third parties, which is a poor anti-consumer practice, but it only ever has short term impact and is nothing like as serious as what MS is doing recently.

Microsoft have tried for three console generations to build up their own portfolio but have pretty much failed. Like you, Forza is the only first party game of theirs that I really enjoy, and we're clearly not alone as console sales have put them a distant third behind both Japanese consoles for some time. Microsoft have clearly decided they need a change in strategy recently hand have started to take the approach of buying out big, well established independent publishers with a long history of multiplatform support, effectively paying to remove those games from competitor platforms.

Of course gamepass is the saving grace, as these games aren't just being removed from other platforms but are being given "for free" to xbox owners (as long as you keep giving MS 15 quid a month for continued access)

Gamepass has been great, my Series X gets close to half of my console gaming time now, which is a stark contrast to the my xbox one up to a couple of years ago which mostly gathered dust. But there are limitations to what you find on gamepass. There's stuff like the upcoming Hitman Trilogy - an absolutely fantastic game that I put a lot of time into on PS5 last year - which appears about a year or more after the traditional release. Games of this quality couldn't fund their development on gamepass alone and need to sell as full retail products. Games like Yakuza, FIFA etc also come under this category. All the Bethesda games that got dumped on the service after the acquisition fall into this category too, as will the first set of Activision stuff. In a gamepass only world however, I just don't think most of these games could be sustained.

The second category are indie and smaller scale games, which gamepass has been great for so far, but time will tell how much room there will be for these games as the pass gets more loaded with COD and the like, and whether it can remain a viable business for an indie dev in the long term.

The third category is the interesting one, the first party games like Forza and Halo, now joined by future Bethesda and Activision Blizzard stuff. There are certainly some quality games here, but also a clear trend to further monetization. In Forza you can buy a VIP pass which doubles the rewards for races and completely changes the game economy, and you're regularly bombarded with as for new car packs in game. Flight Simulator is packed to the brim with add ons to purchase. Halo has solid gameplay mechanics but a pretty lacklustre campaign and is setting itself up as a live service game, something Squenix got torn to shreds for with Avengers but is more palatable for Halo since it's "free"

It feels to me that this is all headed down the same path as mobile games went down. What was once an exciting new platform filled with promise and innovation, saw prices drive down and down when people started releasing 59c games and even free games, to the point that the quality stuff could no longer compete and the whole platform became overwhelmed with microtransaction loaded grifts using tricks to keep you logging in and that's what all developers have to do to compete. A future world where Microsoft have acquired half the publishers in the world and none of them are competing for sales anymore and instead competing for gamepass eyeballs and in game transactions doesn't sound like one that's necessarily great for gamers.

Console and PC Gaming isn't going to get inundated with cheap trash the same way mobile did. Relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,242 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't think the point is that games will end up the same as mobile games, but rather that they're kinda going down the same kind of path where the sales of the game become largely irrelevant, and instead the profits of the game comes from alternate revenue such as microtransactions, battlepasses, lootboxes etc. It's already happening a lot anyway, but when you consider the cash cows CoD & Overwatch already are, that's only likely to continue and could become as prevelant in other games/franchises as the profits from actual games sales is now gone.

There's the money MS will make from Gamepass which will cover a lot of it, but the operational cost of Gamepass (including the deals they do with other third party studios to have their games on Gamepass) also has to be taken into account. MS will also have to make back the money they spent on ActiBlizz/Zenimax et al.

It's less the idea of gaming being inundated with cheap trash like mobile gaming, but rather the further monetisation within the game to replace the purchase of the game.

I also think to some degree that the monetisation of some of the more popular games will be used to offset the lack of monetisation of other games, where they might want to develop and offer single-player narrative-driven games like most of Playstation's main exclusives in order to make Xbox a more attractive proposal to players of those types of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I know people worry about indies suffering through game pass, but in the last year alone, I played and mostly completed

Lonely Mountains,

Outer Wilds,

Artful Escape

What Remains of Edith Finch

Carrion,

and likely one or two more - all games that I 100% wouldn't have paid for, so whatever cut the devs got from my activity, its more than they would have gotten otherwise.

Also, my GP ultimate expire last week, and using codes from cd keys, I was able to resub until february 2025 for the sum of €151.13 , a saving of about €326 over the per month price. - thats less than the price of two new releases from the Sony Store.

Personally I find it easier to swallow dlc and in game purchases on game pass because I don't feel like I've paid €80 for the game I also find it very easy to just ignore these cosmetics and add-ons as theyre really not important for the game.

The only extras I've ever bought is a COD battlepass, as a fan I feel it gives the game a better competitive edge and targets to aim for. What a lot of people don't realise is its a one off charge, you don't pay €10 every month because as part of completing the game pass (even partially completing it) you win enough credit for another battlepass.

• Advertisement

There's no doubt Game Pass is good for some indies, mainly those with publishers that can negotiate a better deal from Microsoft (such as Annapurna, Raw Fury, Devolver or No More Robots). But a) Microsoft have final control over what indies do and do not make it onto Game Pass, which creates a 'walled garden' and b) a subscription model cannot possibly sustain the full independent game ecosystem. Unfortunately, a lot of the details of Game Pass deals (like PS+) are entirely secretive, so we don't know how much development costs a typical indie studio (especially one without a publisher) could claw back from a GP deal. There's also an issue with players thinking 'oh, it's an indie game, I'll just wait for Game Pass' which could gradually undermine any developers that opt to go the perfectly legitimate normal digital release route.

There's also the quality control problem with Game Pass - we've already seen middling games such as Outriders 'dumped' on Game Pass because publishers know they probably couldn't earn a big playerbase otherwise. That further creates the sense that a lot of games on GP are seen as disposable. Hopefully it doesn't go the Netflix 'quantity over quality' approach - nowhere near that yet.

No doubt GP is a great deal for anyone with Xbox or PC (the Xbox PC app remains a piece of ****, however 😁). But there's definitely uncertainty and concerns about both its sustainability and long-term impact on the rest of the gaming sphere.

Again, this is an odd take. Every console is a walled garden.

There is no uncertainty or concerns about Game Pass. There are no concerns about sustainability. There are no concerns about it being a dumping ground. This all comes across a bit like you trying to convince yourself of something.

Game Pass is the future. It is a win for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Just as a quick counter to your comment regarding outriders - in a time when games are often dismissed if they're not 9/10 or 10/10 on review scores, Outriders - very much a solid 7 imo, garnered a much larger audience that it would every have gotten if put out straight to the store, and indeed a lot of folks I know got an awful lot of enjoyment out of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I saw on twitter that Sony did the exact same thing in the 90s and 00s. And they are still doing it now. Saying Sony's studios were entirely first party doesn't fly when they've only got Santa Monica and the gutted japan studio. All the others were third party acquisitions and it's hard to say they worked closely with Sony because every developer did when the PS1 and PS2 were the only show in town.

This is exactly the same as Sony buying naughty dog, psygnosis, bend studios, insomniac. The difference here is the money being thrown around and how big activision is in comparison.

It's very possible to think Game Pass is an outrageously good deal (especially compared to €80 new releases!) and a big part of the future, while also having questions about its limitations (especially as Microsoft pours more and more resources into first-party releases) - that's where I'm at :) Personally I think Netflix-style subscription models have had as many negative impacts as good impacts on the movie / TV landscape, for example, so I just hope the same doesn't happen with games.

• Advertisement

Perfectly fair and reasonable point, and I shouldn't have just singled out one game! Plenty of room for 7/10 games, definitely not denying that. There's also a sense that when games like Back 4 Blood, Outriders or (post-release) Avengers show up on Game Pass, it's because publishers think they need that audience boost as they couldn't survive on their own. That's potentially a good thing for the very reason you mention there, but also risks making it a bit of a 'flash in the pan' and a lack of confidence in the game. Definitely better for players than it being €60 or whatever though!

Unfortunately, as a lot of the deal details are totally secretive we alas just don't know the finances involved in any of this - although we've seen a public dispute between Square Enix and People Can Fly over Outriders’ financial performance.

Well you can pay €60/70 for those games on PlayStation or you can get the exact same game on Game Pass included in your sub.

I know which option is better for the customer and takes most of the risk out of getting the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,295 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

the more I think about it, the less likely I personally think it will be that CoD or Overwatch will become Xbox exclusives.

People say you don't spend 70billion to put games on another console, but I think you don't spend 70billion to do that either. The revenue return for doing that, for those two games in particular, just will never make up the math imo. Diablo could go Xbox exclusive, and maybe Warcraft if they bring it to console, but not the two big multi-plat cross-plat FPS titles.

I think we will certainly see them on GP, but for sale on Sony consoles too.

CoD makes huge money, but also currently costs huge money and requires 3 studios working round the clock on it. To take it off Playstation removes not only a huge revenue stream with respect to Playstation players, but also you are taking a chunk out of the Xbox revenue stream for it - the notional allocation of GamePass revenue to it won't sratch the surface. If they release on PS, they get the money from Sony, the have the GP allocation, some Xbox revenue and also the game itself (being a cross-platform multiplayer) is healthier from a player base perspective.

Make as much money as they can, while also providing a huge game to GP subscibers for 'free'. I just don't see the logic otherwise. Halo as their exclusive FPS rather than haviing 3 huge exclusives competing with each other... just feels like it simply doesn't make sense to make CoD or Overwatch exclusive.

At 70billion, i don't think GamePass is the driving force for this deal, and therefor not exclusives either. the money involved is just too big. IMO this is a Microsoft industry play rather than an xbox gaming play. I'd be looking at the mobile and PC aspects of AB (King games, WoW, Starcraft, Diablo) and also point to the key mention of 'meta-verse' in the statement from MS.

I also think we are going to soon see a deal announced regarding the purchase or funding or partnering of VR by MS (for PC and Xbox). I think a partnership with Steam for Index to work with Xbox, and GamePass to be fully supported on SteamDeck is a possibility - or a purchase of HTC Vive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What I really don't want to happen but it's inevitably going to happen is that a game will appear on gamepass exclusively and then 2 year later is taken off the service because license deal expire and there's no way to ever play that game again.

Gamepass is something that I would have loved when I was 8-18 years old but I've such a library now that I can't keep up with new releases. Gamepass at the moment is basically a load of games I either already own or have no intention of playing. And if there is one I want to play I don't really like not playing it in my own time and having the threat of it being removed from the service. It already happens to me all the time on netflix, they took Call the Midwife off the service recently while I was watching it (don't laugh, it's a great show) and it's happened plenty of other times.

for that to be the case games would have to come exclusively to GamePass, which hasn't happened yet as far as I know and I wouldn't think it inevitable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

To be fair, Gamepass needs to be a walled garden, otherwise we could end up with what happened to Steam in the past five to eight years, a dumping ground for low-grade rubbish and asset-flips.

Looking through a list of ips that activision-blizzard own, it hits home that there's a handfull of enormous games and then reams of dead franchises that are worth sweet F all. Are Microsoft really going to revive Gun? or Geometry Wars? or Empire Earth? Even relativley big games like Guitar Hero and Starcraft have more or less seen their hayday come and go, neither series have seen a release since 2015 (unless you want to cound a 2017 starcraft remaster)

Still hoping that we eventually see Master Chief vs Cpt. Price in Killer Instinct 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,601 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Microsoft doesn't make the Xbox to sell Xboxes, it makes the Xbox to sell xbox games. Buying studios means they can profit even if those games are sold on PlayStation or Nintendo platforms.

That said, I hate the idea of one corporation owning the majority of games studios.

I really don't get this complaint or logic.

If a game you like is taken off GamePass (which only happens with 3rd party games) then it does not mean there's no way to ever play that game again.It still exists, is not killed off, and you can then buy it, usually with a discount through Gamepass membership.

Also, you're complaining that gamepass is mostly games you already own (which is not the case for most people) and then ignore all the new games that are scheduled to come to the service.

If those games come from an Xbox owned studio then the game will stay on gamepass just like Netflix produced content stays on the platform.

If people will just look at the games scheduled to come to Gamepass over the next 2 years and compare that to the Playstation model of paying €70-80 for a single game I just do not see how MS can be viewed as anti-competitive or unfaire whilst PS extracting as much money from games as possible is seen as the way to go.

even with first party titles, you can still buy Halo, or Forza etc if you want to (most likely because you don't have GamePass).

There are also examples of first party games leaving game pass, one at the least anyway.

Forza 7 was removed from GamePass and the MS Store - but if you already owned the game (physically or purchased via the MS Store you) you could still play it (and download it if the ownership was digital).

• Advertisement
Advertisement