Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society (Round 1) Portmarnock Links (19th Feb)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

It's all gone very quiet people.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Everyone is out practising their low shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

Havnt gotten to a links course so hoping the parkland golf will transfer over...and the wind doesnt blow a gale...otherwise I'll apologise now to my proposed playing partners for all the searching in the long stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Don't apologise. If we're looking for more than one ball we've a better chance of finding at least one and it won't feel so much like a wasted trip to the knee tickling rough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,997 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Update

A few of us were away - so the thread was quiet for a while.

All still going to plan - as of this morning there are 7 spots on the time sheet free - as we said previously we will open back up for membership on Wednesday from 1900 hrs.

Could people who are currently signed up , but have not yet picked a spot or topped up account - please do so before then. If not it is reasonable to assume you are not going - we will open up time sheet again from Wednesday and hope to fill. There will be a waiting list if needed.

Might help a few of us off the 1st - https://youtu.be/b1HFZWXbsvw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

let it blow, let it blow!!

For the true links experience you need to have a bit of adversity, you need to have some moments where you question fundamental live choices. Played in a gale yesterday

Thats actually a really good video. Simple advice. Don't change the height of your tee, take a few clicks off your swing speed. You still need to hit up on the ball and a high tee helps that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Wondering if we should post in the “your last round thread”

we might have to forget about the last 3 though ( 4 if you include the putt putt!) and go straight back to the meat 😀

• Advertisement

OK just to update.

i will most likely open sheet up mid afternoon, approx 3pm. 7pm is awkward for me.

I will post here when I’m getting it set up and once again when it is live.

see other post in ClubNet thread

Thanks CONSI - we did intend to issue something along them lines nearer outing - but no harm.

We have made significant progress over the years in this area , we have to remember it is a society with varied abilities , so the type of fast play that you see in clubs - is simply not realistic.

We have experienced golfers spread along the sheet who will have a role on the day.

But the objective is sensible pace - and an enjoyable day.

No running around like a headcase (my normal golf)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Break80

Agree with most of CONSI post but I would have a problem with fairway recommendations.

In my view longest distance to the pin hits first with his playing partners not in his eyeline. I think it's only good manners to give a fella a clear view of the green without the fear of hitting his partners should he thin the ball or even worse.

I am a fan of the traditions of golf as much as the game itself.

Yes.

The on green..... leaving bags at exit point has the potential on its own to cost/save 10/15 mins in a round depending on whether its done or not.

Much of it is just being considerate and being sensible. And just to stress, in spite of us all being keyboard warriors we're not all snowflakes who get offended at the earliest opportunity. If someone is further than you from the hole on a green, but they've just played out of a bunker so have to rake it and get ready for their putt, go ahead and play while they do that. On tour they'd probably wait for him and when you're on tour you can too. Similarly on the fairways, if for whatever reason you find yourself ready to play and your playing partner hasn't taken out a club yet, just say you're going to hit and hit. No-one will mind!

But it's also worth remembering that it's a social game. Keep tipping along, make sure not to fall behind, just keep checking that you're going at an okay pace. And if you are, don't stress about it.

Anyway, what tees are we playing from?

• Advertisement

whilst I'm all for faster play - would have to agree with some people taking this too far. Safety is the most important aspect . I'm seeing club golfers getting closer and closer to getting hit. You should particularly be aware of this in society golf - where the play is a slightly lower standard again.

Again - there will be an experienced golfer in every group to guide everyone - and to try keep up.

The main issues are slow walking and slow around the greens. Just have a reasonable understanding of it being your turn on green, and try finish out with the less than whatever putts. ( I know it depends on putt) - but seeing mad stuff lately with less than 18 inch putts.

No offence meant to anyone if I've caused any issues with the Ready Golf post, just thought there were a few good points in it and totally appreciate that society golf is as much about the fun of a day out as anything else.

Ladies & Gents

I've sent a few PM's to some people who seem to be trying different email addresses. Please review and let me know if you want changes made, I will not make any unless you let me know.

I also see some people trying to sign up to ClubNet directly. As mentioned, you need to PM me so that I know who you are and access will not be given till you do so.

• Advertisement

Going live soon folks, keep an eye

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭VW 1

Following the steps provided previously, I can see an invoice for the subs in my account, but I have no "pay online now" option as per the steps provided. Am I missing something simple!? Most likely :D

No, seems to be a gremlin in system.

working on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Given it is a links course are we playing play it as it lies or is there matts/placing at this time of year.

It will be play as it lies and we encourage you to register scores on golf Ireland app

Ok ladies and gents.

after a few hiccups there we are sorted and now live again.

seven spots available still for this outing

first come first served

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Right lads and lassies,ive eventually been able to pay membership and top up and book my spot at Portmarnock after it wouldnt happen for me first time around.After a years hiatus I can't wait to get going again.Looking forward to meeting up with old and new faces..

Who will be the brave soul who puts themselves into the most hated spot 1130 ☺️.

If someone enters there and gets not playing partners - we will rejig , or get a visitor - but early days yet.

Signed up there, and booked in. Can't wait to get started, and love Portmarnock.

Happy to move to the 11:30am as well, if that helps.

Thanks Kiith - imagine time sheet will fill over next two days or so.

• Advertisement

So the tee sheet is now full for the first outing in Portmarnock Links and we are set to host our largest ever outing with 52 players down on the timesheet. This is huge and a lot of admin goes into running such numbers. I know a lot is mentioned about being society golf and it being a bit more casual but I am also aware that with very few exceptions nearly everyone here is either a member of of a club or was a member of a club so you will be used to the etiquette of knowing your tee time, who your playing partners are and ensuring you turn up early to check and collect your card.

Using the ClubNet app will thankfully help with the admin as it takes care of payments etc and we should have cards ready for everyone on the day with your name, handicap, tees of the day, longest drive and nearest pin holes marked so please familiarise yourselves as there is no need to be asking what's your tee time or which tees we are playing off every 4th post or what hole the longest drive is on 😞 Honestly, after 8 years of running this, it gets tiring!

As would quite often be the case, we understand there may be late drop outs. If this happens we would ask that you drop out as soon as you know you can't make it please. That means taking your name off the timesheet and posting here. This will give others who may be waiting in the wings the opportunity to join us.

We will be leaving membership open for those who have expressed interest and have been signed up with ClubNet. You will need to pay your subscription invoice and top up your purse. There should be a waiting list live on the ClubNet app for anyone wishing to join it, but please be aware that currently you are not guaranteed to get a game at this outing, so please keep an eye on this thread and the timesheet in case a space opens up.

that's all for now, will post more info in days leading up to outing

52 players is a fantastic turnout, should be a great day out ⛳️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Will be a long day ahead, if you've a big score in the first couple of groups could mean sticking around for a couple of hours to get your prize, with 2 hours between the first and last tee time, so be prepared!!!

You can post my prize on lads...:)...I wish

All joking aside its a phenomenal effort to have 52 golfers lined up so well done to all the committee and back room team on this, easy for the rest of us to show up, pay our money, lose our golfballs and enjoy the day...So thanks lads

Yes fair play to the lads sorting it out - I'm just the awkward, mental, figure head, out front.

So guys - If you want to join the waiting list work away - I'd imagine 3 or 4 slots will come up. Just a reminder you are not guaranteed a tee time.

Lads - the work is done now - I'm aware it has become all admin , rules and a bit too serious. We are a fun group , and the day is supposed to be enjoyable. I'll be doing everything in my power to make sure of that. Hopefully we can put together good prizes - and I'm trying a few new things here. Considering the support for this outing - I'll have to throw out the Dunlop golf balls and the Dunnes Golf socks I had in stock. 🙂

On the hanging around front - lads, this is a big outing , involving big travel and a tough round. I will not be expecting anyone to hang around for the prize giving (I don't like presentations anyway) - there will be enough there in the end groups, to create a bit of occasion.

I'll get the prize to you at next outing - or even drop it into you if I can.

So after all the build up - sign up - and I forget my password craic. Let the games begin.

Looking forward to it now. Thanks again for the great support and effort by the committee , but most importantly, from everyone who signed up.

You wont regret it - and for many of you, this is going to open up a world of Irish (and even abroad) golf, you couldn't have imagined. (and you never know - a possible friend for life).

Someone else can post the Homework this week ?

Might be a worthwhile watch for anyone who hasnt played the course - https://youtu.be/6xrY0V_cQ5s

Yes - I've been to Temple Bar loads of times 🤣

Lads very hungover , remember when Crossfield and his like were cool , I think a few lads have moved on with the production and knocked Crossfield out of the park, NLU, Skratch - even Rick Shiels has a far more likable persona.

Crossfield - referred to lads who were in his videos as "Muppets" - like he was lord or something. But in fairness he was first out the door with this concept .

I took the soup at the time, but that peculiar English banter on the course is kind of odd - He would definitely get a few slaps in Ireland with that carry on 😂

Anyway - worth a watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Does ClubNet have a link to our GUI??

Or is there an easy way to do handicaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I am afraid not, Golf Ireland have no API for us to use.

if we have details of everybody’s hole club we can use Handicapmaster to check the day before.

Seve will have the list from last year.

j

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Praying the weather isn't like today

That wind off the Irish sea wouldn't be fun at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Nor the drive from way out whest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

For anyone who hasn’t played it before, I’ve put some notes on each hole. Big change on 13 with and internal OB on the left.

Hole 1, index 8 but could be lower. Looks easy enough but it's all about the second shot. What ever you hit 210yds is the tee shot, left of the big tree is good, too long and a good bounce can get you into trouble 3 bunkers and water. Two bunkers protect the frontside of the green don't be short.

Hole 2, index 14. Here you can open your shoulders and hit the big stick, some gorse left is the only real trouble, all the bunkers can be carried. Tricky green with two front side bunkers, big slope run offs back and right, miss the green and a up and down is tough.

Hole 3, index 12. Par 3 should be playing about 185, 8 green side bunkers. It's a big green.

Hole 4, index 6 par 5. Needs a good tee shot, gorse in play on the left and the water right is OB. A good line is inside the left bunker. This is a 3 shoter, long iron layup and maybe a 7/8 iron approach, feature of the course are pot bunkers protecting the front of the greens. No harm in being long a hill at the back will catch most balls. Fast green slopes from the back.

Hole 5 index 2. Long par 4, anything right can easily catch the water, left the gorse. Again all the trouble is short side of the green.

Hole 6, par 5 index 18. The only real eagle chance on the course. Can be hit in two, best line is left side of the fairway, if not going for it in two make sure to layup down the left side, this will take the bunkers out of play. Green has some wicked breaks.

Hole 7, index 4. Another long par 4. Drives down the right side will catch the slope and move further down the fairway. There is water about 23 yards short of the green give yourself enough stick to carry, big green with a run off at the back. Big slope back

Hole 8, index 8. Great fun hole, 80 degree dogleg left. It's about 220 to the turn. Watch out for the pot bunker on the elbow. A good tee shot will leave a wedge into the toughest green on the course. If the pin is back you must be left to get to it, if it's short do not be long it's a wicked putt and I have seen many roll off the front leaving a 20 yard chip back.

Hole 9, index 16 I think. The only hole with no bunkers. Par 3 that should be about 140 yards, do not be long, short or right !!!! Middle of the green and 2 putt, this little hole can be a card wrecker.

Hole 10, index 9, it's a short par 4 all about hitting the green in two, driver can work but leaves a tough short pitch, rescue or long iron leaves you further back but more room for error on the approach. The green is elevated on all sides with a massive pot bunker short right. Par is a great score here.

Hole 11, index 15 I think. Short par 3 long or right will leave you a tough up and down. Massive bunker right of the green.

Hole 12, index 1. Long hole with no real trouble off the tee this time of year. Big green well protected with bunkers.

Hole 13, index 7. Very Long par 5. There is a new OB on the left, anything on the 12th fairway is OB. Trick off the tee is to avoid the big bunker right in the middle of the landing area. Layup as long as you dare, watch out for the gorse. If you can make the old green in two great. 3rd will be almost blind into the green. When teeing off on 12 have a look at the 13th pin position.

Hole 14, index 17. Depending on the wind and tee location you can drive this green but I am not sure the risk is worth it. Off the tee be left, it's the best approach side. I expect many birdies here.

Hole 15, index 13. My favourite hole on the course. You don't need to be super long off the tee, a good hit down the left will release down the fairway. This is a mirror of hole 8, so a dogleg right. Avoid the spectacle bunkers on the drive and it's plain sailing from there, it's a pretty generous green.

Hole 16, index 5. Wind spending it can be tough and long. forget about trying to carry the two massive bunkers, it's left all day long. A mid iron into a really well protected green. Two bunkers short, one left and a massive run off at the back. Take your time reading the green, it's the 3rd toughest after 8 and 6.

Hole 17, index 11. Tough par 3 with a bunker you could get lost in. Will play around 180 and you need to be precise, massive bunker short right, big run off on the front and the back, heavy rough right.

Hole 18, index 3. Great finishing hole with big dunes all the way down the right. A big miss right is on the beach and OB. The racing line is over the bunker right, get that and the ball will roll for ages. If not so brave the safe line is just inside the left bunker but there is no release for the ball there. A fair green again protected by two bunkers front and right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭spuddy4711

Thanks Graf, such great insider tips on how to get around, I’ll learn them by heart and plan to up my game to take advantage. Hoping to get there early and see the early risers hit off on my first Boards outing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Great write up Golfgraffix, a very helpful a read, especially if you've never played the course

I find the 3rd hole here. One of the hardest to club at any course. You are shielded from the wind at times. It must be a soft landing with height. But is very long.

A high ball is something I don't in the bag the last few years.

If we have anything like the wind we had yesterday on 19th, I'll be very interested to see the scores! I started playing in 1998 and I can't recall playing in windier conditions. I can't count the amount of times one of my playing partners caddy cars started rolling away or my bag fell over. It was a race to tee off before your ball blows off the tee and then your main focus was keeping your balance while swinging so you don't fall over. I hit a 9 iron over 200m yesterday and a 4 that didn't make it past the ladies tees. I hit up on it and it just kept climbing until it was coming back at us. With no wind it would have been 160m or something, just a bad swing. With that wind less than 40m :)

That's a great write up golfgraffix. Certainly whets the appetite! Although I wonder if it's more a course trouble shooting guide than a planner!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Played it once before on a calmish kinda day and it definitely was one of those wish I could have another crack at it kinda places. The dog legs on a couple were severe and knowing the lines off the tee are crucial. Played it on my garmin g80 last week and shot 4 under so fully expect to shoot close to 36 over in reality on Saturday week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement