Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society (Round 1) Portmarnock Links (19th Feb)

• 17-01-2022 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭

Ok guys - I tend to bang on a bit , so please find the details required for booking. Thanks slave for the Sticky for Clubnet Setup and queries . This will be kindly monitored by SeveOB (who has done trojan work) - CharlieIRL and Golfgraffix.

Key points

1) Time sheet Opens at 1900 hrs on the 19th of January (Wednesday) - 1 month from outing. There will be some past captains and committee members placed on the sheet - this is for good mixing - and all of them have volunteered to do a job, pre, post and during the round.

2) You must have paid your sub and you must have the min of €100 euro in your Purchase Tokens (+ then purple shopping cart) - see instructions.

3) When you open a line you have 2 minutes to make a booking.

4) You must enter the twos at this time - we would like a high participation in this - but it is up to you , you can not enter after this or on the day, so please tick the option at booking.

5) Any bookings canceled within 24 hours of the event - are not refunded automatically. The committee will consider exceptional circumstances - but please remember, this year in particular , we are strongly encouraging commitment to outings , we are all into golf, know golf and if you say you are going . Make it.

6) For pace of play / to avoid cliques, we may need to move people around - but this will be avoided when possible. We want to give members the freedom the new system presents.

7) We are recommending people with a higher handicap , a bit nervous (As we all were once) or inexperienced , join a few people to guide them around in the last 4 groups (16 slots). Anyone dreaming of a gross win - a 4 hour or less round, should place themselves near the front in first 4 groups. The middle are the fun guys who can play and laugh at the lads in front holding them up (😂) - and pick up the win with 44 pts at least.

I tried to keep it serious as best I could.

I'll post a bit more fun stuff from now on. Again last 4 groups (16 slots) for any early players , higher handicap. If you are nervous , don't worry, we were all bricking it at our first outing - and that was when the internet was actually somewhat normal.

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,068 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Good stuff Fix

think you have everything covered off there

we have plenty of subs paid up folks but not a lots of purses have been topped up yet.

as Fix mentions you will need your competition purse topped up in order to book on the timesheet

Very exciting this using the new system, I think it will work really well once bedded in.

of course many thanks to Golfgraffix for all he has done in the background and in particular for this outing and bringing us to a fab golf course really looking forward getting back onto the links and meeting some new faces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

About a month away, but it'll sneak up on us fast.

Super work from Golfgraffix, with the platform, and facilitating the group in Portmarnock Links.

Seve as always, doing trojan admin work!

Fix, some proper delegation being done with the committee, putting those management skills to work 👏 (I should have taken a bit more of that approach my year, was probably a bit too controlling on things!!!) Good luck for the year ahead.

Lads, this course is always a treat when you get to play it. It's a firm, but fair test to my eyes. If you play well, you can score well, but if you're a little too far off line, the course will hurt you.

For most of us, playing in qualifying conditions this early into the year is an added bonus, away from a soggy parkland.

Looking forward to seeing some familiar faces, and many new members, and ultimately to Fix's post round speeches 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭BohToffee

Alarm set for 1859 on Wednesday for the scramble for a tee time, from what I see on the main thread it'll be like trying to get Garth Brooks tickets all over again.

Fair play to the committee for all the work ongoing in the background, looking forward to my first year on the boards soc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Ok guys. (now the long post)

First off thanks a million to all the members who have signed up . Has been a massive boost of confidence for the committee, in what was a significant change of direction. I'm somewhat of a fake technophobe / have a bit of telephobia. So I was nervous enough about the move. But - thanks to Golfgraffix and SeveOB for providing outstanding support and patience with my 1000s of repeated stupid questions.

As mentioned previously - it is so hard to judge numbers in this society - and geographical factors are a major consideration. We are aware that there will be significant interest in courses close to Dublin - But we would encourage people to pick out a few outings over the year for an epic day trip. The society is a bit different in that the journey is part of the experience. You'll get it when you do it. They are silly long days - but every time you drive away with a low sun in the sky, you reflect - you have committed yourself to a full day with people - it is the complete contrast of the modern , car park golfer - "I can't go up for a cup of tea".

Try get to know a few people at your first outing - people have moved, more and more to car sharing and this is even more important with fuel prices - COVID, provided a complicating factor to this - but hopefully we are moving in the right direction now.

We are committed to enjoyable golf , in a relaxed environment. We are fully aware and love the various standards in the society. So we are asking people who are particularly nervous or inexperienced to join the last 4 groups . There will be an experienced suitable player allocated to these last 4 slots to help anyone. There really is no need to be in any way anxious. We were all there once.

If anyone still feels lacking in confidence - could they send me a PM and I'll look into a meet up / 9 holes with them.

We will cover pace of play near the outing - but we are not asking for anything unusual here. Just decent walking and good modern pace of play practice (ready golf and be ready). All clubs basically have guidelines on this now. It is an enjoyable day out. But it is not enjoyable for people for 5 hour rounds with a drive back to Cork or Monaghan after.

If you are travelling to Dublin - this part of Dublin is stunning (with the best Dubs in it 😊) . The Drive from Portmarnock to Malahide is one of the best in Dublin - and there are some very interesting things to see in the area , Like Malahide castle and grounds. Malahide village is definitely one of the best on the north side and there is a nice food and pub vibe going on.

Back to golf - as mentioned in the other thread - this part of Dublin is steeped in Links and golf history , so it is nice to be on the coast thinking of men, still on this sand but no longer on this land.

Wind is always a factor on this coastline. As a great friend of the society often reminds me (Roadrunner), people often fail on a Links before they arrive. Be ready for the weather, look it up. Use the practice facilities - the pace of the surface is very different. (But more of that later in thread).

So - that is it for now. Please keep posting.

I'm working on a few more ideas. I'm thinking of a post of the outing prize. But at times, I could do with less ideas.

Ok - a glass of Red now. 9 holes tomorrow, (I'm still trying to win gross (but I haven't a hope) - God loves a trier.

Again a PM - if anyone fancies a game from the last 4 groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Break80

Looking forward to this already. Portmarnock is always a great start to the year, a real dry treat compared to the soggy courses we would be playing this time of the year.

Well done to Golfgraffix for getting the new tech up and running in such a short space of time. Its an amazing set up, we will be the envy of every society in the country.

Fair Play to SeveOB for stepping up again this year and looking after the Admin.

There are many more people in the background all on hand to make this year a success so well done to all.

Best of Luck to Fix for the year, The society will be a lot bigger this year but don't stress too much, you will have plenty of back up and enough tech to organise an overnight outing on the Planet Mars.

• Advertisement

Guys - see the note in ClubNet sticky - we have placed a freeze on membership till all current members have a tee time choice.

There could be slots at a later time - we will update in threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Just wondering do ye envisage the timesheet filling up fast. I ask due to the fact the I cannot access Internet until 9 pm on Wednesday due to work environment and would hate to miss out.

I understand it'll be first come first served and don't want to be seen to be looking for special treatment.

Thx

Rickis - membership was frozen to make sure anyone who has signed up has a choice of tee time.

All we ask of members - is that they do not speculatively take spots - In golf clubs now you see this far too often , time sheet full of people who do not play. This is an issues in golf clubs - but a way bigger issue in a golf society.

As mentioned, it is tricky in this society to work out how many spots are required. But there is significant discussion and effort going on in that area. There is an option of a waiting list in the app. But we are not in that space yet.

As Fix mentioned, things are paused in terms of membership payments for now.

Could we ask...if you are one of those who paid their sub, and are not planning to make the first outing, could you please let us know ASAP, so we cam ensure we facilitate other members who may otherwise muss out

Important to remember when you book a slot you will have to pay from your purse.

We are going to be fairly strict about refunds this year regarding no shows.

The advantage of the app this year Is to make the admin a lot smoother for The Captain on the day. While most golfers are out on the course he is usually still juggling timeslots, paying bills and then is expected to get to the tee box and try enjoy his round.

Be at the course and checked in in plenty of time. Have a chat with other boardsies, be on the tee box on time. Any queries ask your playing partners rather than The Captain as he will be busy enough already.

Most important ENJOY We are a great ol bunch.

• Advertisement

...............of head cases....

Thanks lads for responding.

Break 80 - going to be a more relaxed approach alright .

I intend to clear the drain on number 1 using the following method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭spuddy4711

For those of us trying for a place in the last 4 groups, fear not, the weather will have improved by then and the crowds following the

low handicappers well out of sight.

Maybe, just maybe, one of us will have the game we dream about and return a winning score. One of us being me, that is.

Looking forward to meeting up on my first Boards Society outing.

Just to add to this. We haven't decided yet but we might have the option of digital scorecards going forward.

If we are using the traditional scorecards please make sure everything is in order when you submit your card. Take some time after your round and make sure everything is clear and legible with correct score for your handicap.

If you think you have a winning score it might be an idea to break it down back 9/6/3 etc to make it easier for admin after the round.

Every card has to be checked for GOTY Points so please submit no matter how poor. As per rules of golf the card you signed is your responsibility so take some time after your round and make sure i,s are dotted and t,s are crossed.

All of this will help greatly to speed things up for prize giving after the golf.

Thanks.

I'm in the last 4 groups - this will be the craic end of things. If any fancy a pint after - have a think about that.

Guys see update in Boards 2022 thread - it is not a U2 gig , so there is no real panic to get on the sheet, when sheet goes live.

You should know approx. where to put yourself on sheet - but that is up to you and what type of golf you like or whatever situation suits your travel / home life.

Ok guys more homework.

This week (did ye already get homework this week 🤣)

Golf in the Wind

One thing that he covers here - you don't always focus on the flag in links golf , there is nothing wrong with way more club, 80 % of the times in winter and in cold conditions.

Another good one is use the wind

For the more advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭a post punk

The excitement is building , 100’s of messages on the committee side of things and now the first outing thread kicking off aswell. I personally can’t wait to get started with Fix as Captain, his passion for the game and especially Links Golf makes this course a great starter.

Do not be fooled by the “video tips” he is posting they are designed to confuse how you normally play and Fix getting a dream start with a win under the belt 👀👀

Main Focus keep the ball in play and if it’s in the hay Smile and count to 10 before resuming play :)

Looking forward to meeting all the old members and New in February.

Also got a simple great Tip from Roadrunner in Enniscrone last year ….before starting take note of the wind direction and put an arrow on the card before starting 👍

PP

A post punk - there is a hint of truth - some of the videos I'm posting are ridiculously hard - I'll have to find easier homework.

I couldn't do half the stuff they are on about. 🤣

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭Tom Ghostwood

Is timesheet this eve or tomorrow eve?

Nevermind. Looking forward to my first ever round of links golf. Cheers for organising! 🍻🏌️‍♂️

Tomorrow

OPEN NOW

DONT FORGET YOUR 2s

Apologies, my mistake, open now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

In for 2's in for the round - looking forward to it!

And now to break the news to the missus that I will be gone for the entire 19th Feb and not to be saying I never told her......wish me luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭bobster453

Hmmm..after 32 yrs of mostly married bliss that was not a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

The only bad thing about this is having to wait a month before can play!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭BohToffee

I feel your pain, you'd wanna see the look I got and it's only the other side of the city. 🤣

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

Time slotted, looking forward to it, coming up from Limerick so if anyone else coming up from here happy to car share if you want

Lads, been years since I played Portmarnock so cant remember and maybe someone can tell me, is there a range or anywhere to swing a club for a bit (nets) etc...just thinking of the 2 and a bit hour drive up and knowing I'll need to loosen out after it.

I'd go to kinsealy range first if you wanted the full experience.

Turn up in time to use short game area at course

It is Port Links by the way...

There are 2 nets at the back of the chipping green too, but as Fix says, Kinsealy range maybe best bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭swededmonkey

Tee time sorted. Looking forward to my first boards outing and a local one at that

Great work by all the committee in getting this setup. Its been seamless so far. I'm sure that's not the case in the background, but fair play.

Remember...putting off the greens is encouraged on links courses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

Has the tee it down technique not been debunked?

Lower tee means you are more likely to put higher spin on the ball causing it to balloon in the wind. I always tee it up high, keep the spin low and as long as I don't slice the mickey off it it works pretty well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I’m looking forward to us kicking things off at my home club, was a shame we had to cancel last year. Course is in good shape at the moment and should be better by the 19th. Not sure if Fix wants us off the whites or greens but either way it will be a challenge.

on 1st glance it can look like an easy enough links but stray offline and it can get tough very quickly.

Ill post up some notes as we get nearer. If you haven’t played it before there is a full 3d guide in the app, with images and flybys of each hole.

J

Fix will probably have us all off the reds

😂

• Advertisement

Background - I tend to want a faster round any time I play (but not pushed this year) , also I tend to think it is a more fun day for a society to be forward.

But - this society can be a bit tricky as it is not like a typical say, pub or work society , or lads off on the lash , or just having a laugh. It is a core group of people far more attached to the game or more passionate about golf.

I will be looking to people with good course knowledge on this call - this is a course I know backwards. It is not a significantly large property - and the blues are a bit of a nightmare. But the whites and greens are very small in difference. It is winter and you could get a horrible windy day and this would change things.

But out on this course - whites are perfect for our society.

Now as for Monty - well that will be a very interesting one. You could almost play off different tees there - but I need to stop with ideas and get on with keeping it more simple.

Maybe it has been - would be interesting. It sounds like one that was looked at with a trackman by a You tuber ?

What I find - if I put a tee high , i will try catch the ball on the upswing (adding loft dynamically) , If I put it down i wont do this - and my normal horrendous delofting of the club will happen.

I really struggle to get the ball in the air - real flaw in my game. It is great for wind play. But not great for basically 80 % of all other golf , it is far more beautiful to watch and fun - when the ball is towering in the sky and stopping dead , like the best best players do.

It is fascinating the various ball flights that people have - I often wonder does links golf change your flight and you as a golfer.

Anyway - the variety of golfers , a joy of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭bobster453

My problem has always been grew up playing pitch and putt against the old man who was a very good scratch pitch and putterer..or pitcher and putterer😀 so ball flight has always been high, in wind against me I do tend to deloft, punch swing and slightly back in stance, behind me I club back , tee up and let it rip and then depending on side wind direction either fade or draw to play with it.

Most of which will be of absolutely zero use to me on a links course.

My plan..such that it is.. keep it in play, keep it simple..one shot at a time..and do not be tempted

Heck I might even leave the driver at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jarrieta

Thanks, I was a bit nervous as I could not find out how to add money to the purse, it took me half an hour to find Golfgraffix post and add money to my purse. I was so happy I managed to book a tee time with apostpunk and Break80 (don't know the third one, sorry)

Looking forward to playing that cracking golf course, I tend to play well there, but last times I played had been horrendous, and it is not a course for not bringing your A game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

It isnt length of course that makes Boards rounds very slow in fairness. It is over talking as someone who isnt the quickest walker I never feel like I am under pressure at Boards events as there is always a slower group ahead.

Agree that it is between green and white. I would make a call on day based in weather and advise from Portmarnock....sure golfgraffix runs that place😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Lol, I’m just a normal grunt these days. Finished up my extended Captaincy in 2021

Well at least my group won't he waiting on group ahead. For now....can't talk for those behind....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭kev_s88

can't wait to get out to Portmarnock now for the 1st round of the year. Will be a great experience to play with some new faces. Currently play with pretty much the same 3 lads week in week out, so it will be good to see some different playing styles.

Nothing more daunting to me than the 1st tee shot in Portmarnock. Everytime i've played there over the years, the 1st tee always sets my day up for success or failure. So might be time to just take the 7iron and keep it in play 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Will be my first time playing Portmarnock . Looking at the course layout , i've got a feeling that i will be visiting a lot of bunkers. Hope the quality of the bunkers will be in keeping with a premium course. The sand in my home course bunkers would be rejected on any building site. The divot sand is top grade though.

First time playing a boards event and looking forward to it. Postponed knee surgery out to April . Can't risk missing Portmarnock ,Carton , Mt Juliet and both Killarneys and Dooks in the next 12weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

• Advertisement
Advertisement