Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda owns man he sees hitting a woman

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭hawley

Yes I believe it's likely he's vulnerable. If this is investigated we'll find out more. I do have sympathy for the guards, they're meeting a lot more difficult people, but his behavior was unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,700 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have never physically assaulted a female in my life, and I hope I never do

but any man who says they will never need to, or that there can never be justification, is talking utter bollix.

life is full of situations and circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

indeed , there are plenty of women out there who are absolute beasts , a small minority of course but they exist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Go down to the boardwalk on the Liffey in Dublin and you see plenty of women junkies bating their partners, also remember Caroline Flack, smashed her boyfriend over the head when he was asleep, and yet she's revered as some sort of martyr for online abuse because she topped herself before she had to face justice. Strange world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I notice that you've chosen not to respond to my intelligent, articulate response that shows, in it's own words, how the Garda has breached the AGS Declaration of Professional Values and Ethical Standards.

I'm sure it's just an oversight on your part and not a lack of leg to stand on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

@ thefallingman,

In fairness the Boardwalk along the quays has been cleaned up, regular Garda patrols now on foot and extra lighting put in during 4th quarter of 2021. Operation Citizen.

My bus stop is on Eden Quay so I have seen a vast improvement, not a junkie in sight, no visible street drinking , homeless have moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭thefallingman

that's great to hear i haven't been there for awhile to be fair there used to be all sorts going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is probably one of the more stressful jobs out there at the moment, because you are under so much scrutiny now. That video is completely out of context. For all we know, the man may have assaulted a female garda, close colleague of the man, and injured her, just seconds before. In that context, the reaction could be viewed as restrained.

The garda was unprofessional, agreed. How serious was it? Without the full context, we don't know.

A one-off immediate reaction to a close colleague and friend being assualted and injured versus a long-term behavioural issue which has been repeated many times. Two possible extremes demanding different responses.

I wouldn't encourage that approach no, and the shouting seemed unecessary, but I am not going to suit here and condemn someone else's performance in what is a difficult, exasperating, and dirty job that would try anyone's patience. A softly approach won't work with everyone. Arrest was made and he should have left it at that. But at the same time a) he didn't physically assault the guy and b) it's not hard to imagine the levels of exasperation involved, in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

if he had assaulted a female garda , hed have been on his way to a cell before anyone managed to hit record on their phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You see, my point is we don't know that, because we only see a small short edited version of the video, as in most these situations with the Gardai. Without the full context, impossible to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭mikethecop

i notice that you have repeatedly demanded that i respond to what ever you post for some reason , which i have done already even though i dont think Im obliged to so again im not sure what you want here ??

you might want to check your settings or something

I've never demanded anything, never mind repeatedly. The fact you haven't addressed it speaks more than any post you could bash out. I merely noticed that you ignored the post regarding the wholesale breaches of the AGS Declaration of Professional Values and Ethical Standards, signed by all AGS, in the OP video (which at no time you have responded to, the thread is viewable to everyone, unless there is something wrong with your "settings"). You seem annoyed that this was pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the job of the Garda/Gardai is law enforcement…. Arrest him if you think he’s committed a crime, present evidence to the judge and let the justice system do it’s job… end of story..you look like a complete unprofessional clown going on like that..

mad that you have a Garda going OTT psycho here, yet when I needed one having been assaulted they were more interested in leaning up against the shutter of the Spar and gazing into the Liffey.

The man being berated by the copper, was he even arrested? What crime do people think he committed.?

The way the cop is behaving you’d think the man had done a number on some woman, but yet it appears that the man was not arrested.

It’s all a bit too vague, yet folks here jumping in to laud this copper’s behaviour..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I do appreciate that the Garda lost his temper, but I'd say his colleagues were embarrassed for him. Screaming in the guy's face like a old school teacher scolding a child. What good did it do? Fvck all. Arrest him if you're going arrest him, caution him if you're going to caution him. But screaming in his face? You're not his Ma, he doesn't give a fvck what a Garda thinks of him.

It'd be one thing if the guy was putting up some kind of resistance or arguing with him, but he wasn't. Putting on a big display and losing your rag in public is very unprofessional. Not a reason for disciplinary action, but I'd definitely be checking if the Garda needs a few days off. He was clearly in a bad place, it's often a shi1tty job, and yer man was just the last straw.

Maybe the copper wasn’t in a bad place. Maybe this is just him..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Interesting that you approve of instances of toxic masculinity when it suits you.

Terms such as "real man" and "pussy" are rather outdated in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭mikethecop

did you ask me to or mention me in it ? you quoted another person in that is see

Do you want me to comment on the entire AGS policy and procedure or just what you copied and pasted. i suggest you try the press office for that

Reality and a policy document from a politically manipulated leadership are very different things ,annoyed is not accurate , dismayed perhaps that some peoples understanding of what actually goes on outside of their computer screens is so poor but i suppose that shouldn't be surprising.

Post edited by mikethecop on

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

The "Man" hitting the Woman is without doubt wrong. However that Guard should be reprimanded as he left his emotions get in the way of carrying out his duties in a fair, unbiased way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

Has anyone mentioned how he used the word p@@@y. The most misogynistic of all words, IMO at least, to address him? Sorry, just saw a post mentioning it !

It’s not a policy document. It’s a declaration signed by all Gardai. If you cannot do the job without a) treating people with dignity and b) being unable to control your emotional outbursts, you should not within an asses roar of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jackoflynn

The courage to speak his mind... is what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,336 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You must be joking.

There's videos every other day of scumbags giving dogs abuse to the Guards, we probably have one of the most tolerant forces in Europe.

Try something like that with the cops in some of the EE countries and it would be a whole different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Yah, but we're not in Eastern Europe. This is Ireland & if the Gards want to be considered a serious & professional force here, you dont go around calling people who've just been arrested cowards & pussys. What kind of way is that to act?? Is he some sort of moral authority or wannabe hardman to be speaking to civilians like that. He'd be better off shutting his mouth & doing the job he's being paid to do. No one knows the full story of this incident & whats been alleged. Thats for the courts to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,336 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You must have missed Prime Time last night when the part about body cams was on.

A guy they arrested threatened the Guards wife and kids and this is something they have to put up with on a daily basis yet you are coming on here crying about some scrote being called a pussy.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

How do you know the women attacked this guy?

As mentioned earlier in the thread we don’t know the full context so you are making assumptions.

The only thing we do know is that gardai acted unprofessionally, emotionally and clearly doesn’t have the temperament to police correctly. Until we understand the full context and background the above can’t be commented on - unless you know more than we do about this specific incident, which in that case you can enlighten us all on it

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

One incident of a gard being threatened doesnt mean its widespread & even if it is, its a completely separate matter. If you're given a position of authority in this country likes the gards are, you dont go around acting like a gobshite & thats exactly what this so called gard was doing here. Its not as if they're signing up to be a priest of something, if they cant handle a bit of argy, bargy, go elsewhere. Its a lucrative position, they get to retire relatively young, pensions are generous, overtime is generous, pay scales are generous. On top of this, being a gard here is one of the safest places in the world to be one.

So spare me with the sob story of an idle threat by some scumbag. Anybody who's lived in an urban area has experienced this at least a couple of times.

There is zero issue with recruitment of gards in this country, that tells us everything we need to know. Doctors, nurses & plenty of other professions is a different matter.

Eh, my point was in the general sense. I was not making the point with specific relation to this video clip.

nobody knows what happened here because footage is missing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I guess any place in Europe is eastern for you?

There are many places in Western Europe where you’d get a very different treatment to the one the guard displayed.

Its not like there was any excessive violence at hand here.

Advertisement