Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda owns man he sees hitting a woman

Options

Comments

While I agree it was not professional behaviour, gardai are human and do have emotions. I would suggest that it makes them better then some mechanical robot doing the job. Surely you want someone who feels empathy?

Also, if the member has to deal with a particularly traumatic incident, would you say the same about him, if he were to cry? Should he also control all his emotions? Keep them all hidden? I would suggest that is not good for anyone.

Given the amount of utter sh1te Gardai have to put up with on a daily basis, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. Being exposed to confrontation every single day can't be good for the worldview. The officer in this vid is clearly showing the stress of the job. In many cases, (and I'm talking about the US here, which I am more familiar with) cops go home and take those frustrations out, often violently, on their partners and the rest of the family.

I don't know what the answers are, but we need to rethink policing. Gardai are being asked to do dirty work as part of a system, but the rest of the system lets them down with lenient sentencing etc. In doing so, the rest of the system turns the cops into authoritarians -- they make arrests and the system says "Ah no, You're grand." What is the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Garda should be suspended if not sacked tbh.

That is actually abuse in that video on watching it again.

No excuse for that behaviour. If you took away the uniform and observed someone in the street yelling like that what would you think? Psycho might be the kindest opinion.

Don't care what the suspect did.

Totally unprofessional and should be disciplined.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

raising his voice and calling the guy a pussy is ground for dismissal now? what a bunch of pathetic snowflakes this country has turned into.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

The standard of trolling on boards has dropped considerably. Disappointing...

• Advertisement

It's his overall manner, not just his voice. He's actually screeching too.

Totally unacceptable. Needs to be looked at.

ah would you stop. sacking a garda for that. ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

100%. If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen. Don't take it out on other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If this is "owning" someone? There is a serious dearth of something in the OP.

Given the thread title, I was expecting to see someone getting robustly arrested, not harangued in the street by a fishwife in Hi-Viz.

Maybe it's my age finally catching up with me? But in my day being "owned" by a member of the Gardaí usually involved a clatter of a rubber torch at the very least. And maybe being checked for a pulse, rather than annotated on it 😉😮

I mean that Guard did a great job of hurting the lads feelings and all...🤷

he didn't take it out on "other people". he took it out on somebody who had hit a woman. Some people are very concerned for the thugs feelings. and some want the garda sacked for it.

• Advertisement

Do you know the suspect hit a woman?

Even if he did the guard should not behave like that. They are supposed to be properly trained in how to deal with the public.

But do you know for certain he hit a woman?

We don't.

And even if he did that does not give a guard license to behave like that.

we don't know anything for certain. so what. we know what we can see and can only comment on what we can see in the video. he didnt deny it so there is a strong possibility he did hit a woman. and you seem more concerned with a garda raising his voice than a man hitting a woman. that attitude is just amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

hopefully it's investigated, i'd like that gardai drug tested aswell, he looks coked up by his behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

You don’t know what exactly happened prior to the video being recorded, and it’s quite telling how quickly you are ready to accept one possible scenario as the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭hawley

He admitted that he did hit the woman. This could have been just to get the guard off his back. He comes across as a drug addict, so probably was just an argument between them. It really was the guard punching down on him. The most disturbing part of it was after the guard started shouting at him, the man puts his hands over his face. He probably was raised in a violent household, he looked terrified at that moment.

He breached the guidelines IMO. Whilst the Gardaí do have powers of arrest and detention aswell as the use of force to effect an arrest. Screeching into the face of an already detained person is not part of the job description.

Further the code of conduct says:

When it is necessary to use police powers

to achieve an objective, I will make sure that my actions are in accordance with the law and proportionate

The scrote in this instance was already detained. The screaming was unprofessional and was needlessly provocative. Perhaps in an effort to get scrote to drop his head?

The thing is, the lad screaming is a Guard and members are expected to exercise their powers proportionally and act in a professional manner at all times and in accordance with the code of ethics. The Guard is subject to professional standards and if hitting a woman is going to set him off like that? How would he handle a more serious case of gender violence or sexual assault?

Anyway, for more on the code of ethics and the professional standards expected of the force. See here https://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Policing_Authority_Code_of_Ethics.pdf/Files/Policing_Authority_Code_of_Ethics.pdf

But a summary of the obligations upon a guard when dealing with the Public are;

I will recognise and respect the

dignity and equal human rights of all people.

I will treat people with courtesy and respect.

I will treat everyone with fairness

at all times, and not discriminate wrongfully.

I will oppose and challenge

any behaviour or language that demonstrates discrimination

or disrespect, in particular with regard to vulnerable individuals or minority groups.

I will be sensitive to the vulnerabilities of individuals, for example because of their age or a disability.

I will be sensitive to the difficult circumstances individuals may find themselves in when in contact with the Garda Síochána.

I will show appropriate

understanding and empathy to people I come into contact with.

• Advertisement

jesus the bleeding hearts are out in force today. the poor thug was shouted at and everybody cares about his feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,249 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The black guy was waving a knife, was tasered to no effect. It seems people inside the house were egging him on. Garda had to react to prevent injury to fellow officers and the general public.

In the US he have been shot earlier in the confrontation.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭hawley

Nobody really cares about drug addicts who hang around in the city. The guard knows that the man won't make a complaint. He wouldn't dare act like that to the majority of people .

how do you know he was a drug addict? why do you assume that?

Point out where I care about the thugs feelings?

Rather than the Garda's legal obligations?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

If you check what I wrote you can see that I said I could not see an issue with the policeman’s actions. But unlike you I did not make up a narrative to support my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,587 ✭✭✭Allinall

I have absolutely no issues with the guard's actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

So there are people on this thread that think a Guard that screamed at a scumbag who assaulted a woman was "over the top". What should the guard have done? Hold his hand and listen to him? Understand him? Get him a social worker?

Christ, no wonder criminals get away with so much in this country.

no need for me to make up a narrative. the guy hit a woman. the garda shouted at him. the bleeding hearts worry about the poor thug. others are straight in to support the guy who hit a woman as they always do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Unprofessional from the guard, regardless of what lead up to it. I get that it's a job with its share of high-pressure moments, so maybe that can be used as an excuse for a lack of professionalism, but that's what it is nonetheless.

And it's not going to achieve anything anyway.

Maybe the guy had hit a woman, or maybe he was just threatening to do so. Either way, there are appropriate steps to take, so take them. No more, no less.

Advertisement