Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers on TV or radio ads

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭Deeec

I just can't see this working - there are a portion of travellers who try their best not to pay for anything they use or consume. They could give a whole new meaning to the Aldi swap and save ads for example - they could change it to swipe and save.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Won't happen, travellers are not a trendy demographic that advertisers want front and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Travellers are an extremely trendy "demographic" for the media and WOKE set ,have been for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭XsApollo

How do you highlight that it’s a traveller in the Advert?

I think it’s pretty obvious that being a different colour doesn’t need to be highlighted, how do the advertisers highlight that it’s a traveller.

have a disclaimer? This ad contains travellers?

or show them getting out of a caravan or?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭BringingSexyBack

The UK did wonders for their culture and wedding dress makers with "My Big Fat Gypsie wedding" . Not sure many of the hotels in the traveler heartlands are too keen on holding the receptions though.

The majority of the Irish Traveler (not all) of them have cultivated a well earned reputation for .................stealing people's property - so no surprise company's wouldn't . Plenty of them are legitimate trades men, but, they wisely aren't too fond of publicity or attracting the tax man (we can all sympathize with that )

And before the naysayers, most of whom have little to no experience of them, start chomping- unless you are from the Longford, Tuam, Ballinasloe, Athlone, Mullingar Ennis areas (areas where they have a long history of "fun and games" ) , really don't bother, you will lose. There is just far too many court reports to confirm their behaviour

Mixed race couples and LGBT couples aren't known as a group for anti social behaviour and crime

I'd imagine you actually already knew that

Anyway, Joe Joyce and co are good for brining out DVDs on their boxing etc ............

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You can also spot gay people by the limp wrist and pink tshirts and mexicans by their big sombreros

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

There’s a real opportunity for the Gov to use Irish travellers to advertise dog licences.

Yeah? And would they be the kind of people likely to answer casting calls and go to auditions?

I can think of the top of my head of a few travellers who were on RTE (and major primetime shows at that, not crime-related :P) that I know personally and I'll bet no-one knew. I always laugh when I hear an inspirational story about a traveller getting a degree or Masters, I know one with a PhD and a couple of others who are lecturers. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you wouldn't be able to spot them.

You're talking about scum, not travellers. I've seen more inbred, malnourished lads when I'd to wait for a bus in Dublin than I'd see total number of travellers on a given week.

This "other"ing is playing into the victim mentality. Once you say they're different they can cling to that and scream discrimination. Travellers are white Irish people, much like myself and 80-whatever% of the population. Many of them seek to separate themselves from mainstream society while expecting all and more of the benefits such society brings. It's playing into their hands to pretend they're any different to us by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭standardg60

I would imagine the fact that they've gone out of their way to have themselves legally defined as a separate ethnicity and culture different to that of mainstream society that it would suit neither party, advertisers using them to appeal to mainstream, or they themselves being seen to be part of that mainstream, is why it wouldn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@bertiebomber do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Like this? Except it's with Big Joe Joyce and a bucket of petrol to dip his fists in

gay people by the limp wrist

WD - more 'woke points' for you.. completely acceptable apparently to use a negative stereotype in this scenario (where a poster makes a 'lived experience' comment [that you don't like] about the likelihood of an Irish person being able to clock a tinker [they're white too, like us majority irish, and unlike Mexicans, who are more brown in colour] )

I reckon it would be harder to detect a gay person than a traveller.. a lot of gay people are not a caricature like you described, whereas travellers, are.. Unless I'm wrong..

'Hypothetical Pepsi Challenge' time (never gonna happen) - me and you head to a particular town (that none of us are from, and at least 500yds from a halting site, or a gay bar, and not on a 'Parade' (of any kind) or a horse fair day.. 2 hours sitting in a car (hypothetically of course, watching the world go by) and you pick out the gays, and I'll go with the travellers, and then we'll see who has the better tally.. No way of verifying it of course, so just for the craic like....

Afterwards, when I deem that I've clocked a few 'cousin marriers' and they in a group of some kind at a corner; for shíts and giggles, me and you can walk hand in hand by them, slowly, and you can ask them - if they engage us in conversation - about how many I got right.. 😁 I'd be disappointed if I got less than 70% correct.. As far as your 'tally' is concerned; well, we'll have no real way of finding out.. Pity, I reckon I'd hammer you in that 'Guess Who' comp.. Will have to remain a 'hypothetical' though........

As long as we don't encounter any 'limp-wristed sombrero wearing gay Mexicans' we should fare okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Juran

I totally agree this family need somewhere to live like everyone else. I presume they were offered council accomadation (house), but want to stay in their caravans (again, I am presuming, I dont know any details).

But is this legal descision a dangerous path ?? This is council land, paid for by the tax payer and Clare property tax. If the land is ear marked for a housing estate, community centre, sports fields, etc .. the people of Clare can kiss that idea goodbye.

RTE news : Supreme Court upholds Traveller family eviction appeal

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0131/1276913-supreme-court-ihec/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Don't think it's the right thread for it, but shocking outcome and sets a very dangerous precedent.

Advertisement