Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fiocchi FMJHP 50GR full metal jacket 223

Options
  • 09-01-2022 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

As above has anyone used these.They can be bought for €35 for 50.Also are they only suitable for targets or can you hunt with them as they are hollow point.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

One of the worst rounds I've ever used and I've tried it in a 1:12, 1:9, 1:7.5 barrel. They wouldn't group, were unpredictable, and the best I've ever seen or gotten at 100 yards was little over an inch.

Haven't bought them in over 3 years as a result and they're so bad that others on the range and in the field have said similar things about them and gone so far as to give them away after only a few rounds because they were so bad.

I don't know if its because they'r hollow points, poor ballistics, flat based bullets, etc. It common for a few people to not like a round, but for everyone I know that has used them to have the same opinion is uncommon for any other round out there, but also speaks to the opinions not being personal but unanimous.

As for uses. Perhaps they're ok enough to be used for hunting and as a HP/jacketed bullet its propably their purpose, but they most certainly are NOT a target round.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Rubbish as a hunting round.

Had numerous runners with them.

50gr EPN are a different animal entirely though(if your gun likes them)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭17hmr1

It's amazing that they are that bad considering the ballistic rounds get great reviews online.I was offered a box of the fiocchi fmjhp or 2 boxes of frontier match hollow point with new rifle I suppose I'll go with the latter.

17hmr1 - ballistic rounds

Ballistic rounds? Do you mean ballisitc tipped? If so the ones you mention above are not those. They (the ballistic tipped ones) are the Fiocchi 55grn ones and are about €50 per 50. They are a good to great round. I have them and have used them for both target work and hunting to good effect.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Yeah ballistic tipped get great reviews online so I assumed the fmjhp would be of similar quality as you would imagine powder is the same just the bullet shape is different.Have you used the frontier ammunition,as far as I can see it's just rebranded hornady.

• Advertisement

Propellant is only one factor of a complete round. There is so much that can cause a round to be good and bad. They include:

• Brass case vs Steel
    • Ogive
    • Seating depth
    • Primer
    • Proellant type
    • Bearing surface length
    • BT vs Flat base
    • Jump
    • OAL

It is why reloading can make a great round but also be time consuming and at times frustrating to get that perfect load.

If its ammo you want to try then by all means get a box of the 50gr Fiocchi and try the Frontier (I've never used them). Worse case scenario they don't work out well and you get to blow off a few rounds. If they work decently then use them as "back up". You will only really get the right round for you by trying a few different types. The twist rate of your rifle will help narrow the selection then try some within that group.

Auseful starting point, and remember its a guide not a certainty, is this handy graph:

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I have used the frontier rounds. They're accurate and good for foxing. I do find that the fiocchi epn has the edge on them when it comes to stopping power. This is because a ballistic tip expands more violently than a hollow point.

Just a note that I found the frontier rounds very loud when I compared them one after another to fiocchi epn

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

My 2 cents are I tried one 50rd box of the fiochhi 50gr fmj hp and they were brutal bad to be honest I had 8 mis fire’s from what seemed to me like very hard primers when 5 in a row actually went bang the best I could get from my tack driving t3 tactical was 3” groups at 100y-the worst .223 ammo I’ve ever used!

Seems their 50-55gr epn rounds are generally accepted as excellent and these are fairly poor which is a shame as they are good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

very bad picked up a box in outdoor sports ages back. think it was 30/32 euro for 50. when i was shooting my .223 i stuck to winchester super x 55gr. always worked well in my ruger with 1:9 twist

• Advertisement
Advertisement