Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Monday 2022 - NFL Coaching Carousel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Yep, Rapoport confirms Payton is stepping away.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well the fact that there had been no indication as to what he was doing for next season and the owner saying that she’d no idea what was happening seemed to confirm something was up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,174 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Chiefs player personnel guy Ryan Poles is the new Bears GM. He will conduct interviews with Jim Caldwell, Dan Quinn and Matt Eberflus tomorrow but it might not be one of them who gets the job.

Sounds like we threw Ryan Pace and Nick Foles into a cauldron and out came Ryan Poles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Sean Payton stepping away from coaching.

Saints are in a terrible place now with a new coach and a cap mess. The NFC South has turned into one of the weakest in the NFC - will likely get there if Brady retires (though this retirement might be an incentive for him to stay another year to stroll through the regular season)

Well it’s certainly a challenging time for the team that within twelve months have lost their franchise QB and head coach who both came to the organisation in 2006. Since the news broke I went and found the saints season by season record prior to brees and Payton arriving and if I’m right from 1967-2005 the saints had only seven winning seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Interesting about Payton. I wonder is he eyeing up a franchise that are in win-now mode or is there another motivation for his decision. He's only 58 so he would've had plenty of time to rebuild with the Saints. I suppose he'll be linked with the Cowboys again until he gets another gig.

Anyone else would have to trade for him - easier to push through if he is out of coaching for a year or two.

Given how players act when they want a trade, imagine a coach 'holding in', just showing up to meetings and sitting there until they are released.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

And which one of the Patriot cast-offs has been a success as a HC?

You make a lot of valid points -

Quinn did a decent job at Atlanta - if was his first trip round the block and he made a lot of mistakes. While Shanahan had a big influence it would be a mistake to suggest that Quinn had little input. The big question is whether Quinn has learned from his previous experiences e.g. his poor (but not as bad as Fangio) game management. There is no doubt that Quinn will be in demand - and he likely will have more than one offer to pick from. The big question is who he intends to bring in as his coordinators - rumours out of Denver have indicated Darrell Bevell as OC and Al Harris as DC - if that was the case I wouldn't touch him with a bargepole.

As regards Denver - their intent is to move back to the Shanahan/Kubiak branch of the WCO (part of the reason why Getsy got an interview). Trading for Rodgers is clearly Plan A - indeed today there are rumours out of Denver that a package is being negotiated for a trade for both Rodgers and Adams in exchange for Lock, Sutton, Fant and a couple of 1st rounders. while I would prefer Wilson (because of age) it appears he has a preference for the East Coast (although Denver is one of his four indicated preferences). The back-up plan appears to be Cousins who it looks like will cost a 2nd rounder and a conditional pick the following year - with the Vikes eating part of his salary. The possibility of Cousins is keeping Klint Kubiak in the mix as OC for the Broncos.

Despite the supposed close relationship between Paton and Quinn - I think Hackett is probably favourite - with Getsy as OC and a possibility of keeping a lot of the defensive coaches in place to continue to implement Fangio's scheme (Donatell has a long history with the Broncos so there is a possibility that he would stay in Denver as DC rather than move somewhere with Fangio). However, the fact that Paton has not made an appointment yet - he is waiting for a second interview with Kevin O'Connell, which can't happen until after this weekends games. It wouldn't surprise me to see O'Connell end up as HC, Donatell stay as DC, Kubiak come in as OC and Cousins end up as the QB - and while Cousins isn't in the Mahomes, Herbert etc league - he is a major step up from anything that the Broncos have had for the past 6 years. Cousins has the perfect skill-set for the WCO (indeed Mike Shanahan didn't want RG3 in Washington - Cousins was his plan all along - and he picked him in the 3rd round because he knew RG3 would not pan out).

All this being said - McDaniel is still very much in the mix for the OC job in Denver - I agree about him wanting to know the QB, but Denver will have a QB upgrade (Paton cannot afford to fail in those stakes) - and it would set McDaniel up to display his talents to the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Good to see the obsession with the Patriots is still as strong as ever, if I didn't know any better I'd say you secretly admire them :)

Why not focus on the pros and cons of the actual person, rather than the organisation he has been attached to?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭cosatron

if that's true about the trade between GB and Denver, Brian Gutekunst should take it and go with love next year and apparently the 2023 draft has allot QB talent so it could be win win situation. The biggest problem we have is we are 34m over the cap and its going to be a disaster to get under that and Rodgers arrogance won't take a Tom Brady 25m restructure deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Colts DC, Matt Eberflus is going to be the new head coach for the Bears.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

McDaniels did a good job at Denver before Elway poked his nose in and made a mess of it.

ROTFLMFAO

McDaniels was fired at the beginning of December 2010 - Elway was hired as GM in January 2011.

As we touched on earlier, you can't completely divorce a coach from the organisation he is coming from. Sure most coaches only get their HC jobs because they are part of a successful organisation - the Jags linebacker coach could be the best in the world and no team would interview him for a HC role.

I agree that we should focus on the pros and cons of the person in question but a significant con is if they are coming from an organisation that from all evidence either does not prepare their coaches to succeed outside of their building or they play such a minimal or specific part of the success of the team that it has never translated into a HC role.

He expressed interest in getting involved and then McDaniels was fired.

I'm pretty confident that McDaniels would have turned things around and turned the Broncos into a consistently successful franchise if he got another season.

Everything he's done before and since suggests that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Not to dredge up a part of Denver history we would all rather forget, but the McDaniel years were a total dumpster fire. You don't get a consensus often on much in the NFL, but this is as close as you will get.

I do agree he was a great OC in New England before and again after, and maybe he will be a good HC some day (not in Indianapolis or Denver) but I would bet my bottom dollar he will never be a good head coach. To be honest, the Indianapolis debacle was probably worse for his prospects.

Elway was not involved in his firing (nor the org at that point) and a combination of poor late season collapses, questionable roster building decisions, and taping the 49ers at Wembley all contributed to the end of his tenure. I can assure you there was not a single Bronco fan that was sad to see him go, make of that what you will.

Did elway draft tebow and then go 3-9 ? No he didn’t that was josh McDaniel and you can blame John elway for a lot of the broncos mess in recent years but you can’t pin the josh McDaniels cluster of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,174 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

It looks like McDaniels is actually going to leave this time. Really surprised as I expected him to stay put where he was comfortable and take over from BB whenever he decides to retire.

The "patriot way" thing does not travel. It might work in New England, but if he goes into Vegas with that attitude like he did Denver I don't see it working. Since the Colts debacle I've thought his only real chance of being a success as HC would be with the Pats where that culture already exists and players would already respect him.

I remember Cutler telling the story on the radio years ago about when he met McDaniels in Denver for the first time. He thought it was going to be a quick hello over some coffee, but McDaniels started by reading off his list of accomplishments that led up to him being named the HC and then had tape of every bad throw Cutler made from the season just finished in which he was a pro bowler. He sat there berating him for half an hour then left. Cutler took out his phone, called Bus Cook and told him he didn't care what he had to do but get him out of Denver 😂.

• Advertisement

but McDaniels started by reading off his list of accomplishments

Oh I’d not heard that before. That would put me right off someone if they started bragging about themselves on a first meeting. I mean would Flores count as it kind of working ? @Oat23 you make the patriot way should like Kerry GAA supporters or Guinness.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well I'm claiming Vrabel as a Belichick disciple. He spent 7 years under him and he's become an excellent coach and he worked under Bill O'Brien, a Belichick coach, before becoming a head coach.

I have always felt that when Bill does decide to retire that if one of his son's isn't ready to take over that it'll be Vrabel.

Probably sees the writing on the wall with the Patriots when it comes to the nepotism situation that is becoming more and more like the route they might go when Bill calls it a day

Patriots now being accused of nepotism. Lol, anybody who can't see the Patriots hater is blind

Patriots hate ? You mentioned that BB would pass on the HC job to one of his sons ffs. How else was anyone else meant to take it ? well you might want to book an appointment with an optician.

Daboll will be another Patriot Way dumsterfire - and I really do hope that the Raiders hire McDaniels and give him the keys to the car. I would not inflict the petulant child on anyone - but being a Broncos fan - I will always make an exception for the Raiders.

Just so we are clear - Mike Vrabel has never been a coach under BB.

The fact that he was a coach under another failed Pats cast-off has probably benefitted him in his coaching career in seeing how lucky he was to escape the regime that is coaching under BB in NE.

That is only one of a long list of antics that McDisaster got up to.

As for Flores - he was a failure because he wanted to act like the rest of the BB cast-offs and the owner in Miami couldn't tolerate him p*ssing off everyone in the organisation anymore.

• Advertisement

NFL network are reporting that the raiders will hire Josh McDaniels as their new head coach. Let’s hope the raiders legal dept make the contract iron clad and make it financially prohibitive if he tries to pull a stunt like he did with the colts.

Advertisement