Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged with offense of public intoxication

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,285 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭HBC08

Also was the Garda wearing his hat at the time of arrest and could he put the charges to you in Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Aside from the odd minor motoring offence in my youth, I'm a keen follower of the law and have therefore had zero experience with An Garda Síochána, but I would imagine that a sincerely apologetic letter to the arresting officer would (depending on your record) go down very well. Also, try crying in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Nashua, New Hampshire USA, 14 years ago I was celebrating my 30th birthday

Absolutely locked. Streets pretty empty except for my 2 mates.

Zipper open on the town bridge as I piss over the edge into the river.

I could hear both of my mates prompt me to put it away. I look around and it was if I had a gun in my hand, not my flute.. 3 patrol cars and 4 officers surround me

What are you doing Sir?

Naaathin I said

You're urinating?

No I'm not I said

Your penis is out he said. He then said your a drunk to which I felt the need to correct him. Excuse you, I may be drunk but I'm not "a drunk"

Where are you from Sir?

To which I realised this was my get out of jail card.. quite literally

I went completely lucky charms on him begora begora shamrocks and shenanigans.

Oh. You're Irish he said.

OK Sir, you need to go to sleep it off.

Oh, and put your penis back in your trousers Sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Lucky. I know a guy who was caught pissing in Boston. Cops arrested him, lawyer told him to get on the next flight out of the country. Can never go back now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

He was a bit unlucky I'd think. I was caught a few years later doing 50mph in a 30 zone.. it was just outside Nashua in Hudson

In my defence it was one of those odd ones where it'd a great road but that section had low limit.

I remember being g pulled over and the difference in how the US cops approach the car, one hand on the hip.

Asked me for licence and reg, to which I had neither.. found out subsequently the registration was in the glove box, but I didn't have a clue. He took my Irish passport went back to his cruiser, after 5 mins, came back and said, look its a nice car i know you want to stretch its legs but be safe. Enjoy your holiday

Wrote me a ticket, just a caution, not a fine.

Again, probably lucky being Irish, and not an illegal resident

Years later i mentioned it on FB and the Hudson police PM'd me about it to be nosey.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Basically like others said above, a danger to yourself or others. So while everyone is drunk, you'd only get arrested for falling around the place (you could fall and bust yourself, danger to yourself) or picking fights/hopping off people (danger to others), walking out into the road in front of traffic or playing with traffic (yeah, it still happens). It's a last resort, the Garda no more wants to arrest you for being drunk, but it has to happen sometimes. Not sure if they sorted out the grey area around it, but it was still up in the air when I left. Can take upwards of an hour to deal with, pain in the hole tbh. But they do play a big part of your arrest history, unavoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,190 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

OP, ya better start watching Love/Hate. Pay particular attention to the final episode where Fran encounters the sweeping brush after being locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I never went on a J1 but of my friends and acquaintances who did, the majority had some form of run in with the law, all alcohol related. In at least one case, he can never enter the US again (or would have to jump through so many hoops that makes it not worth his while.) One fella (not the bloke that can never enter the US again) was refused drink on a flight after too much imbibing, kicked up a fuss, when the plane landed at JFK marshals were waiting to question/arrest him on landing. He has definitely been back to the US since, reason I can vouch for the latter is I was with him (the air marshals incident was pre 9/11, some time in mid 90s (fortunately for him) the other time was post-911.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I was in court for this when I was 18/19. Got away with giving the poor box 500 quid, no criminal record.

First thing you should do is go and apologise to the Garda that arrested you, but I guess your solicitor will have told you this already?

• Oh that was a fun read. I love how the judge throws all the shite back at him by saying he can’t take bail if the signature can’t be verified 😭😭😭

• I’m screaming 😂

oh.. and put your penis back in your trousers sir….

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

What did you do OP!

The people need to know so they can judge

Drank too much and acted the eejit. Frankly, I'd rather take me chances in front of an actual judge than be judged by 'the people'.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Usually the first one of these they just send you the public order fine and you have a certain amount of time to pay or it goes up a bit, or you can try fight it in court.

If you just pay the fine it doesn't count as a proper conviction as in you don't have record - technically. They could bring it up if you were in court again though to paint a picture of you as a baddie.

You can apologize all you want they're still gonna send the fine or summons, just hope it's the former you can pay it and forget about it. If all you were gonna get was a caution they'd have told you already.

Probably should consider quitting the drink. When this happens it usually is not actually the first or last time booze gets you into bother. Just doesn't suit all of us. If it happens again and the incident warrants a court date you could have whatever silly behavior went on printed in the local paper.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Deny all charges and insist you were doing Dry January.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

And this little piggy went wee wee wee wee wee wee all the way back home to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Advertisement