Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omicron Origins

Options
  • 06-01-2022 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Im not typically into conspiracy theories. Having said that I’m happy to believe without specific evidence that the most likely origin of covid was an inadvertent release from The Wuhan Institute of Virology.

Omicron appears to be more transmissible but less virulent than previous strains. Given these characteristics it’s possible omicron will ultimately burn itself out and put an end to the covid pandemic.

Is it possible the omicron variant was created and released by the Chinese Government or some other entity in an attempt to put an end to Covid?

Comments

What about the other 1000 variants? Were they created by China too?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,151 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

viruses mutate. no outside influence is required to do that.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

congratulations on not having a clue about how viruses mutant into different variants

well done you !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Can you imagine the discussion in that meeting.

"I have the solution that will finally end the Pandemic and save millions of lives"

"Excellent. Now let's make sure none of us get any credit for that"

No. I can't imagine it either. But hey you do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭WTF...

I'm not familiar with 1000 more variants.

Do you mean mutations?

• Advertisement

Absolutely, but the level of mutation in omicron is strange.

It has 50 mutations, 36 of which are in the spike. Other variants have had a max of up to 12 in this area.

Releasing any variant of a virus would be a massive violation of human rights irrespective of motive. I cant imagine any entity would admit to it.

its not strange at all when you consider the most likely possible origin.

You mean like reverse zoonosis or an immunocompromised person?

• Advertisement

I would have thought that level of mutation would take time and should have been detected sooner.

Its possible it mutated naturally in a country that isnt performing sequencing. But given how contagious it is its strange that it wasn't identified before all 50 mutations were present.

One theory is that Molnupiravir caused the mutations. It works by increasing viral mutation rate until the virus can no longer replicate. However I dont know if it has been prescribed in South Africa?

you are assuming it originated in south africa. it was first discovered there but it doesn't mean it originated there. it actually originated in the netherlands. south africa discovered it because they were doing genome sequencing on the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Okay, but note how you are starting with your speculated premise being true and working backwards from there.

Let's start properly, what direct evidence do you have to support your theory? (rather than pure appeal to motive)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

First tue virus was leaked and now the cure had been leaked, I can’t keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

There are a few posters who have far, far better knowledge re: mutation and such than I and a few actual scientists that post here with some great info.

My own take as a totally unqualified in the field pleb is:

Viruses tend to mutate over time to increased infectivety and less virulence. In simple terms the aim of the virus is to infect a host and spread. To ensure its continued existence it needs to balance infectivity and actual impact upon the host.

A dead host is of no use to the virus. In the arms race between the virus, our immune systems and treatments and continued spread towards endemic infection?

It's likely in my wholly unqualified but widely read opinion. That Covid will move towards being highly infectious but less virulent. This is a consequence of the biological aim of a virus, and the adaptation of our immune systems and treatment options.

I don't think Omicron is the variant that does that, it may well take another few years before it becomes a seasonal virus. Even at that? It won't mean the danger from Covid is over, it will likely follow a similar path to fly with dangerous pandemic variants emerging alá the pandemic flu strains.

It's easy to say we are going to have to learn to live with Covid but, we are. It's the only real path out of our current pandemic.

It may mean mask wearing, particularly if you are Ill, be it just a sniffle. It's one of the tools against respiratory illness that I think Asia leads the way in. Other mitigations may well continue too but, I think other HEPA filtration, hygiene and hands, face space that we are looking towards yearly vaccines akin to flu and learning to be a little more considerate of personal space.

Yes, its a hypothesis. An alternative way of approaching an issue that cant be fully explained with all the evidence to hand.

Thats why I proposed it as a question and not a statement of fact.

There are many more likely and probable hypotheses for how omicron came about but this is after all the conspiracy theory forum and I'm just exploring a theory. There's lots of good work being done by virologists to identify its origins but it looks like they're still a bit stumped.

I've picked out two bits from the paper here.

The Omicron (B.1.1.529) SARS-CoV-2 variant of concern (VOC) identified in Southern Africa in late November 2021 is the product of extensive evolution within an infection context that has so far left no obvious traces of intermediate forms since it diverged from the B.1.1 lineage (presumably at some time in mid to late 2020).

and...

Given the manifest viability of Omicron there is a pressing need to understand how and why it accumulated so many mutations that, on their own at least, are apparently either selectively neutral or maladaptive. The sheer number of mutations in Spike and the genetic distance between Omicron and its nearest known SARS-CoV-2 relatives implies that the Omicron progenitor accumulated its unprecedented number of mutations during an extensive time period of undetected replication. 

Yes, its a hypothesis. An alternative way of approaching an issue that cant be fully explained with all the evidence to hand.

but in order to present a "hypothesis" you need to present what you are basing your hypothesis upon.

hypotheses are not fiction, they are an attempt to explain unusual phenomena based on the narrow set of evidence available.

There are already 3 good hypotheses out there as to the origin of omicron:

The zoonosis origin, though to be unlikely as no animal genetic material is seen in the genome.

The "critical spread" theory where the variant thread has been mutating without discovery for some time, which would mean the jump to omicron isnt at all unusual, its just that the previous strains were not detected due to lack of observation. This theory is also seen as unlikely as it would be expected that pervious strains would have been more transmissible than say delta, and would have been discovered sooner

The immunocompromised HIV person, which is probably the best theory, where the virus stayed in a HIV positive person for so long, without killing the person, and continuously mutating over a long period of time.

there is nowhere, and i repeat, nowhere, where there is a suggestion that omicron was released from the wuhan lab. There is no basis of evidence for that hypothesis at all... therefore its simply a musing on your part... nothing more than a work of fiction.

so when you are asked "what evidence do you base your hypothesis on" its i snot good enough for you to dismiss this question by claiming that a hypothesis can be based on nothing.

so when you are asked "what evidence do you base your hypothesis on" its i snot good enough for you to dismiss this question by claiming that a hypothesis can be based on nothing.

Absolutely it can. To quote Merriam Webster: In scientific reasoning, a hypothesis is an assumption made before any research has been completed for the sake of testing. A theory on the other hand is a principle set to explain phenomena already supported by data.

The immunocompromised HIV person, which is probably the best theory, where the virus stayed in a HIV positive person for so long, without killing the person, and continuously mutating over a long period of time.

Where is the evidence for this theory?

According to Christian Drosten virus variants that elude the immune system do develop in immunocompromised people, but they come with a host of other changes that make them less able to transmit from person to person. Typically they have very low fitness out in the real world. That’s because the mutations allowing a virus to survive in one individual over time may be very different from those needed to best spread from one person to the next.

there is nowhere, and i repeat, nowhere, where there is a suggestion that omicron was released from the wuhan lab.

Lots of scientists have suggested it. I think you're confusing suggestion with evidence.

Which scientists have suggested Omicron came from a lab?

Apologies, I misread sydthebeat. I thought he/she was referring to the original 2019 covid strain as I never suggested that omicron was released from the lab in Wuhan. There’s too much focus on that lab and transmission rates are too low in China to ensure it spreads quickly around the world.

Again this is just a conspiracy theory proposed by me as a bit of an indulgence. Isnt that what this forum is for? If I really thought it was likely or had evidence I’d be on the covid or science forums!

• Advertisement

No that's not what this forum is for.

There is a forum already here for 'creative writing' , when people discuss making up stories.

Your "indulgence" would be better suited there.

Also, scientific hypotheses is defined as:

scientific hypothesis, an idea that proposes a tentative explanation about a phenomenon or a narrow set of phenomena observed in the natural world. The two primary features of a scientific hypothesis are falsifiability and testability, which are reflected in an “If…then” statement summarizing the idea and in the ability to be supported or refuted through observation and experimentation

So theses are not simply musings of fiction.

I order for you to say "if the variant came from wuhan, then......"

And you need to be able to extrapolate with real world evidence.

For example, under the "falsifiability" premise, I can say "if the variant came from wuhan, then the first recordings of it will be in China close to the point of origin"

This is false, therefore an example of how it didn't come from a wuhan lab.

What testability do you have to explain why you think it did?

The floors open to you here now.... Don't disappoint

Ah no worries. Everyone seems to have a different take on the forum. At least you've prefaced yours as a very speculative hypothesis.

This is false, therefore an example of how it didn't come from a wuhan lab. 

What testability do you have to explain why you think it did?

I’ve clarified in the previous post that I dont think the omicron variant came from Wuhan.

Is that the official line from Boards? If so I’m happy to comply.

…on an aside is there any way to insert quotation marks for specific points without having to quote an entire post?

Is that the official line from Boards? If so I’m happy to comply.

Its in the forum charter, youre suppose to discuss "genuine topics of merit" (of which works of fiction does not comply) and you are supposed to discuss topics with substance (which the "omicron from the wuhan lab" theory lacks in spades)

This forum is not for satire.

Yes, we ironically mention lizard-men a lot in here, but this forum is for genuine discussion on topics of merit. Balance levity with substance dammit.

I’ve clarified in the previous post that I dont think the omicron variant came from Wuhan.

so why have you asked this then??

is it possible the omicron variant was created and released by the Chinese Government

…on an aside is there any way to insert quotation marks for specific points without having to quote an entire post?

i simply copy and past the text i want to quote from the original post, then use the quote tool to show that its a quotation

Its in the forum charter, youre suppose to discuss "genuine topics of merit" (of which works of fiction does not comply) and you are supposed to discuss topics with substance (which the "omicron from the wuhan lab" theory lacks in spades)

Genuine topics of merit is a subjective term. When I ask if omicron could have been released by the Chinese government or another entity I'm essentially asking is it possible? Would they have the ability and motivation to do so?

If I was a Chinese citizen living in China and I heard a rumor about something called the Tiananmen square massacre I'd believe it to be a work of fiction. I'd likely be convinced it lacks substance and consider it a conspiracy theory.

I do believe its likely original virus was released from the Wuhan Institute of Virology in 2019. Not maliciously but accidentally through poor containment practices, inadequate staff health monitoring etc.

If the Chinese government or another entity subsequently engineered and released an attenuated but more transmissible version of covid to hasten the end of the pandemic it not likely they would create it in or release it from Wuhan.

congratulations on not having a clue about how viruses mutant into different variants, well done you !!!

The forum charter also states: "Address the topic, not the poster"........and "The goal here is open-minded, open-ended conversation, not derision and ridicule of contributors for asking questions or questioning information."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Found this interesting re the origins of Omicron.

“It's not just evolutionary pressure. It's extreme evolutionary pressure on preventing antibody binding to the spike in a very short time. (Very few silent mutations, which act like a clock, indicate it was frozen for close to 1 year.) It's either a synthetic polymutant or bred in presence of extremely well-tuned sequence of different convalescent/vaccination sera or recombinant antibodies. That many resistances can't come from one or few immunocompromised patients, which usually have B cell deficiencies, let alone animals, which initially don't have antibodies.”

https://bprice.substack.com/p/lab-leak-20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Ha! How naive you are to think you can just come here and discuss conspiracy theories without first providing the following to support your claims:

1) A peer reviewed published research article from a well-known reputable Journal of high impact factor

2) A heavily redacted declassified and officially released (no leaks) FBI OR CIA dossier (with supporting links) highlighting exactly the clauses to support your claims

3) A link to a news article (of at least 1 min read) from a highly respected journalistic source (with fully qualified journalists). For example CNN, Huffington Post, MSNBC or New York Times (anything outside of this is likely by a well known crank or at least a white-supremecist, neo-nazi, anti semite)

4) Please verify your sources using one of the many reliable fact-checking resources i.e. Snopes or CNN.com/fact-check

After you have done this you must proceed to answer, not one, not seventeen but all of the questions put towards you. Failure to answer all questions (and subsequent myriad of follow-up questions) will result in constant harrassment to revert and answer the questions or else your attempts to elevate the quality of discussion will be denied.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Again man, you came here demanding a long list of questions about your personal theory that the space program was faked. You received direct full answers to all of your points. You were asked one question in return. You proceeded to ignore those and then pitched a fit when people pressed you on your conspiracy theory.

Then you tried to fake a picture in a failed attempt to do... something? And when you were caught out on this immediately you had another freak out. Then you tried to argue that the entire forum should be closed.

Now rather than engage with anyone you pop in at random with these little rants.

It's dishonest and hypocritical and shows that you, like most conspiracy theorists aren't at all interested in discussing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

No ... He is actually spot on .....

Post of the day

Advertisement