Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golfing Goals 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

After a years break and about to join a new club:

1. Maintain handicap index between 3-4 (currently 3.5)
    2. Shoot 71 or better. Current lowest is 72 on a par 71 so aiming for total strokes as opposed sub par
    3. As joining a new club, try play with different people every week
    4. Get on to the squad of a club team
    5. Maintain strength and conditioning work at least 3 times a week
    6. Practice at least once a week

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

1. Learn to hit my driver again
    2. Play more
    3. Enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Break 90 and when I do (I am confident of doing so) try to break 90 in at least 50% of my rounds.

My 2021 goal was to do the same with 100 and I achieved that.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭a post punk

Good Idea to get it down here and lay it on the line!!

1-BREAK f*%#^n 90 ( hcap index 24.5) always have a blow up hole or 2 ruining my chances in a round!

2-Make the Ryder Jug team again

3- Win a boards outing or place

4-Play as many new courses as possible

5- Play more Links golf

6-Get my handicap below my brothers for bragging rights :) (18ish)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭phelimb

You should be giving lessons rather than getting some (playing off 4 or 5)!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I've some big birthdays and anniversaries in 2022 . Some volunteering too. My golf goals will have to work around them.

This year I mostly want to improve my iron play, both striking quality and distance. Not sure how best to translate this into goals or if I even want to. I've had 1 lesson and intend to take more plus put the practice in. My driving, chipping and putting are all good now so I feel if I improve my iron play, wins and enjoyment will look after themselves. Process over goals.

Broke it today with a round of 85 shots & 48 points. Playing off of 22 but tis 25 on my course.

My front 9 was absolutely ridiculous, I was +2, 38 shots and 29 points. Stared with a double bogey but then shot 6 pars, 1 birdie and a bogey on the 9th.

Next goal is to get the handicap sub 20 first of all and the 18 by the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

Did that not put you sub 20 or was it not counting? Also, well done!

Not counting, placing everywhere. Not sure when it starts counting, 2020 was my first year with the club and only joined in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

a simple goal for me this year, Play a round of golf with nothing worse than bogey

Started 2021 with a WHS of 21.5 and ended the year at 18.4. Im getting to the stage now where i can play consistent bogey golf for 14 out of 18 holes (including some better than bogey scores). But in every round there is always 3 or 4 holes that really let me down. The aim is to work out those holes, and get rid of the bloody awful shots that bring on those meltdowns. Most (if not all) of this is just working out the mental kinks in my golf game. I know i can play well for 80% of a round, so just need to convince myself that i can play well for the other 20% too.

Here's to a good 2022 of golf and finally having a nothing worse than bogey round

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chasingbirdies

My big golf goal is to get to scratch - currently off 6.4 - have been down to 4.3 - I am realistic enough to know it probably won't happen this year so for now I am concentrating more on the process of how I will become a scratch golfer and enjoying that process

I have got to where I am with very little practice built into my game - I usually just play my 9/18 holes in competition or with friends - so building in a practice routine I feel will help me improve in the long run - already have begun this - I am getting to the range 3-4 times a week in the evenings - working from home has kind of spurred me on here as I need to get out of the house in the evenings to clear my head and get some fresh air

At the range I'm working on things like - pre shot routine, visualisation and knowing where my miss/bad shots are - everyday my swing is a little bit different and its about getting used to this and doing the best with what I have on any given day

Other than that big goal - year long goals are

• win the gold medal (came close last year)
    • Win a scratch cup
    • Feature in prizes in Captains Prize
    • Would love to say play on one of the club teams but I'm afraid family commitments will prevent this over the next few years

Best of luck to everyone in the upcoming year - Hopefully we can keep this thread going for the year with people updating their goals as achieved .....or not ..lol

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Mine is to finally get to single figure playing h/cap.

Close before ,but then 2008 happened and golf went on the back burner and so did my game.

Finally close again. Couple of 78s

last year index 9.0. Then let it slip to 10.5.

Playing well again for 9 holes. 2 or 3 over then not bringing it home. It's there. Working hard on keeping it in play off the tee and distance control on approaches. Giving myself looks consistently inside 10 to 15 feet or better. Greens just need a bit of ironing to smooth the roll.

Spring is nearly here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Della31

my goal this year is to focus on the process when playing and not get caught up on the outcome....to do this I need to reflect more after I play on what went well, what could I have done differently...what was my mindset for my good/bad shots....

and finally practice...have started going up to leopardstown driving range at lunchtime once a week and using the trackman...already noticed a difference and feel more confident playing at the weekends...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭big_drive

Aims:

- half current handicap of 4.8 to 2.4

- win a monthly medal

- win a prize in a scratch cup outside my home course

- try practice a little instead of just playing full rounds

- upgrade some equipment that needs to be looked at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Play a few more of the Top 100 courses, I am currently at over 50 and have a few more booked in for this year. Would love to play them all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

Love this Thread

1. Swing faster! Get my swing speed up break 100 mph regularly with Driver haven't hit it yet.
    2. Sort out my chipping - Think I have the Yips
    3. Current Handicap is 18.4 Realistically would want 3 shots lower but would be delighted to just get it down
    4. win a club comp
    5. win a boards comp & make Ryder jug team
    6. Think of Paige (If you know you know) 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well if I don't get my handicap down I'll be lynched, so goal no 1, get handicap back down

practice, i don't practice.

win a boards event, but I probably shouldn't feature in a boards outing or I'll be lynched 🤔

unless I get my handicap down beforehand

win boards golfer of the year

get handicap down

win boards past captains

get handicap down

Jug team of course

get handicap down

Would love to win a medal in club

Play new courses

Already achieved a major goal which I may write about here in time to come, but suffice to say that more than a few tour pro's would be very happy with this particular achievement 😁

get handicap down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

First round of the year without placing in play and achieved goal number 9 already. Played all the par 3s in Baltray this evening in level par.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sean.ocall

Goals for 2022

• Get a handicap
    • Get my driver under control
    • Compete as much as possible at my club
    • Be competitive in my club's minor cup (16.1+)
    • Play some top name courses (Ballybunion coming up soon)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Digging this up as I consider the season over…

1. Yup, all of 4 times
    2. Nope, lost by a point.
    3. Nope
    4. 20.1
    5. Yup

Very happy overall. Player of the year with local society with wins on 3 outings (I seem to like away courses vs home club), decent HC drop. Gutted re last putt of the “friendly” comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Didn't set actual goals for myself in 2022, but had some slight ones

Anyhow:

Starting WHS Index: 8.9

Ending WHS Index: 6.9

Club comps - Nothing too major, but 2nd place in 'Free Sub' year-end comp (+3 Gross) which provided me with €150 off membership for next year. That was my round of the year, which coincided nicely for that comp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

• Yes, Handicap is lower. At lowest ever currently, 6.4
    • No, probabky didn't really improve here overall
    • Yes, broke 80 at least 5 times I think, including lowest ever gross, +2
    • Yes, just about, at Bayhill
    • Yes, just about, at Sawgrass (hit green and parred 17)
    • Won 2 boards events in a row, Greystones and Dundrum
    • Made Jug team, but lost our match
    • Won a couple of class prizes, but no overall wins at home
    • Won our winter matchplay so an over-performance there
    • Hit the last target easily, great year of enjoyable golf

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Neewollah

1. Not achieved, have played very little golf unfortunately. Out to 5.5
    2. Went to Portugal and played 4 rounds. Highlight of the year. probably where I played my best golf
    3. Not even close
    4. Even further away!!!
    5. Had one lesson at start of the year that looked promising but life got in the way and hadn't the time to continue
    6. She's still putting up with me. Child no.2 has arrived though so need to keep earning brownie points for golf in 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

66% success rate.

Only played 13 counting rounds.

However, not only did I keep to single figures but my handicap went down almost a full shot. So overall, very happy with my season.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Off topic I know…Sawgrass. I have opportunity to play there (travel to the locality for work) but always put off by the cost and my relatively crap golf. Question is: is it worth the $s and did you book it through sawgrass or some other way?

we stayed there. It was all booked through a golf tour package. I believe if you want to play the course, you most likely have to stay on site. Bayhill was same.

We didn't really notice the cost because it was bundled together with the rest of the trip....... but is it worth it..... hell yes... i was was to do it again, and i think Space will agree with me, we stayed the night before, but we should have stayed an extra night also.

Just don't do what I did and get pissed the night before 🤣

Hmmmmm

did I practice?.... not really, a small bit here and there, but no is the honest answer.

Handicap...... I'm an even bigger bandit as proven recently

Nowhere near boards golfer of the year... but i probably could have competed if I played a few more of the events

came second in one boards outing

won boards past captains cup

made jug team, won jug match

second in a club medal

got a 2 on the 17th at Sawgrass 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Seve covered it off.

It's really worth it. Course is spectacular, and no real snobbyness about the place. Cool clubhouse and warm up facilities.

Think i saw someone complaining on Twitter that currently it's around $840 for a 4-ball.

We also had to take a fore-caddy in each group. Cost split 4 ways, but worth remembering it as a potential extra cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,633 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

As i got older my handicap went up and my enjoyment went down. Now after a few weeks of doing nothing but practicing my chipping and putting I feel a bit more confident especially around the greens. My drives have got shorter but at least i'm hitting the fairways.

My goals for 2023 are to get at least 5/6 pars per round and stop the double bogeys or worse so that I can enjoy the game a bit more.

Advertisement