Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When's calving starting 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Last one calved this morning so that’s it. She was a straggler one month behind the last one so interest was low on her!!!

update on the calf that wouldn’t suck the cow. Never did suck the cow in the end. Tried everything with him and no good. It’s like a pet lamb now. Have him and the mother gone to the field with the bullocks as not carrying the cow and she not keeping a calf. It’s some nuisance having to feed him every day though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Prices for cull cows were never better , well not since 2011. Otherwise you will be watching her for mastitis in Summer.

She got 4 tubes of dry cow and she’ll get 10ml of spotinar in July.

I’d be fairly confident of the cull price holding and a few months of grass will finish her.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dodo mommy

I had a cow calf on Wednesday, calf was stuck around the chest for half an hour before I got to him. He sucked 2.5L from bottle first suck but hasn't made any attempt to suck since, I'm having to stomach tube him. Any advice on how to get him sucking. I have given him pain killer and victims injection + steroids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

We had a heifer like that last year.

Put a calf jacket on him, he should be fine in a day or too. I got the Dairygold one (breathable fabric) with a red trim, they are easier to remove later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭High bike

Try a bit of golden syrup on the teat they love the taste of it.Put it on ur finger first and see if he'll suck,worked for me last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

He's probably sore from the calving. Patience will get him going. I had one like that, this year. Keep at it.

Post edited by patsy_mccabe on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Got an old cow that calved and we'll be taking the calf off her her quarters are gone and low slung. One might be working but she is wicked and we haven't checked as we weren't planning to rear the calf on her.

What should we be doing with her before we fatten her up for sale? Her udder is massive and all but 1 teat was blind last year. Do we put dry cow tube up the quarter or can we get a jag for her to stop the milk? Don't want to break an arm trying to tube her in the crush if we could get away with a jag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

If you take the calf off her and just leave her alone will she not just dry up by herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,384 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Put her indoors on hay and water - keep her away from grass. She will dry up after a week or so.

I’d still put a tube of dry cow in her.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

Section on a heifer yesterday, Huge bull calf. Got him standing for few minutes today,

Hes good and sore on the legs, will take them a while to straighten out but thankfully both are alive to tell the tale.

Thanks for the advice. Vet said to feed her straw and should be okay, but contact them again if things don't look right.

The calf was a bit slow to suck and gave it a steroid injection. Thankfully, the switch has been turned on and is sucking from bottle now. Not sure how much of that can be attributed to the injection but it has a chance now.

How is the calf now?

There was a thread on here from last year where someone has trouble with a calf not sucking and there was lots of hints and tips.

Is you are still having trouble I'll try to dig it up, but hopefully things are going okay now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Went down to turn on a light and this girl had her work done, calved a heifer out through the calving gate into another heifer. Bit if coaxing and I had mammy and baby reunited and a suck took place. Brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Nice fiston heifer out of zag

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dodo mommy

Just replying to funkey_monkey, he started sucking himself Friday evening, he's still a bit dopy but once he's sucking he will be fine👍

Oh, the old sucking while still lying down trick. Done it here a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

He is ya. Bought her as an in calf heifer few months back.

I'll have to check but think bull is knell - I've never had any problems using him before myself, this lad was a big ol lad. Vet had to keep making more incisions as we couldn't get him pulled out. She has a fair scar but funnily enough she's absolutely flying it, the calf is the one that's needing looking after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Some ordeal this morning!

Loyal heifer, incalf to Ivor, went calving this morning in the calving paddock, picked the one spot where there wasn’t sheep wire, must have rolled over and slipped down a bank onto her back. Got her pulled down handy, sitting up straight but wouldn’t get up. Went for the jack, but she was gone swollen at the back and calf wasn’t budging so rang the vet.

Just as the vet pulled in she got up so got her into the calving gate and cue the photo!

Thankfully all went well, fine bull calf, swollen head from all the forcing so thank god we didn’t keep pulling. Got an injection to help the swelling.

Never a dull moment😅 last one til the next batch in June

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

^Thats one way to end the current calving season! You'd need a break.

All normal here except one heifer who wouldn't open up. Gave her a few hours and eventually just went for it with the jack since the calf was small. Calf alive and well which was a shock after a 7 hour labour.

Have a 4th calver cow here. She got caught up in the cubicles and ended up sitting in a squatting position for a while. When she got up, there was 2 young bulls mad after her as if she was bulling. I was 50/50 if she was incalf or not.

Checked her there today and she is bagging up and starting to soften.

You'd wonder at times. What would cause this?

Post edited by patsy_mccabe on

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭alan10

Is that Dovea bull "Ewdenvale Ivor" LM2014?

Meant to be quote the 2022 catalogue "Extremely Easy Calving"

Had few him off cows an no bother - was going to put on heifers this year; bit reluctant now. Wonder if falling down the bank was the trouble and might calf fine otherwise?

great outcome either way... take the break!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Ya that’s him. Don’t have any fear of him on heifers, very easy calved. The only reason she didn’t calf him was that she was swollen behind and so was the calf’s head. Have used him on any heifers I’ve to bull the last 2 years and all have calved with relative ease. They come light boned and turn shapey after. Ideal for heifers in my opinion. A lot easier than Eby. Probably to easy for cows, you’d have better bulls out there for them, the likes of Gamin in Bova, or Maddison/ Newton in Dovea

Good easy calving bull. If I didn’t have my own bulls I’d have no bother using him on cows too. Impressed enough at his calves.

Yeah, I’ve put Ivor on cows and i’d have no problem doing it again, he breeds stylish, shapey cattle and brings a bit of extra length that some Lim bulls dont. You don’t need to use hard calved bulls to breed good quality cattle. Last September i sold some Highfield Odran bullocks out of heifers to a neighbour, he sold them today as two year olds, made between €1800-1850. I wouldn’t mind having some Odran straws now, he was a serious bull and very easy calved.

Dovea, LM KJB heifer calf. 11 days over, big calf. Calved outside 5am, was up sucking 6am.

Great calving outside...when things go OK.

Cow is a twin herself. Lm, KZH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Lovely outfit Alan, when outside calving works which it does most of the time it is always the best I find. Cows are more comfortable and relaxed calving outside. They seem to calf quicker too, plus the calf seems to get up quicker as the get better grip in a field than the straw bedded shed. Plus you can bet a LM calf to be up quick sucking. Really noticed it this year as I put a few Sim on cows and the Sim calves are a lot more dopey / sleepy.

Very nice. Ah yea outside beats the spots off inside as long as the job is right but then it is some pain dragging a calving jack out to a field and trying to sort all out if the skut can’t get up etc. I spent 3 weeks lifting a lad in the summer time and I was too embarrassed to show yous a photo. Mother went dry and I bought an oul Frisian thing to rear him when he eventually got up. Great calf now but I’m glad he’s a bull. Anyhow on the Lim vs Sim bit I’m not sure I notice much difference but then again our sim calves have a good bit of lim in them! I hope the ch lads next autumn are as good!

• Advertisement

thanks Yep agree - certainly calved fast, checked 3am on calving camera (I have set up so it covers paddock outside as well as all inside - great job) all quiet, 5am she started 5:05 all over! Had to check was I dreaming 😂. Used a lot KJB over years and liked but found bit lively to keep as replacements. Only this cow this year. Don't notice huge diff in Sim/LM vigor in general

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭minerleague

Great when things go well. I think you were having calves scouring earlier? did everything clear up after? ( or was that someone else ??)

I had an usual scour that spread through about 6 calves. I don't like to interfere when calves are on grass with their mother unless its a real problem so after 4-5 days it all cleared up.

Yes - had scour (Rota) also. Lost one, all else recovered. Got them all out and so far everything good. Will be vaccinating next year and calving month later.

Ch4637 heifer

Quick as a flash.

Day 290

Do you not find KJB to have a very long gestation, put him on some cows here a few years ago and was nearly ten months waiting on most of them, he can breed a lovely heifer, easy calved but bulls were plain enough off him if i remember right. You should give Brooklands Marco a try if using Dovea.

Thanks tanko, will give him a shot so this season. Yep, this KJB was 11 days over.

That's a lovely calf Tellmeabit, as is the calf in the back ground..

Ya off LIS-NA-RI GUCCI

Bull. May try a few more SIM this year

• Advertisement

Had a cow go from no waterbag or even pushing to up licking the calf in under 5 mins yesterday. Must AI her to something big this year. Her mother once calved a full breach before.

Eby bull born yesterday from a Dbz first calver.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Baalbec10

Calf born dead this evening. She wasn't due for 30 days. No signs this morning and all of a sudden around 4 o clock she started pushing, water bag came out at 6 and we pulled but calf was dead. Nice sized claddagh Mccabe bull. Sickner it is. Maybe should have went in when she started pushing at 4 but probably dead anyway.

Thats a sickner,had the same here 3 weeks ago.Went to feed cows one morning and there was a little limo bull calf in the slats a full month early.Tiny little fecker,had to tube him for 4 days before he could suck.Hes out the field with the cow now still only half the size he should be but Hardy out.Dont know if he'll ever come to anything but he's alive at least

That's a sickner alright. Was it a pedigree cow? How much were the straws?

No a commercial, would have been a cracker. That's the way it goes. Have a cow at 300 days to hurricane gonzo, she would want to calve fairly lively to lift the mood.

• Advertisement

That's a sickner alright, but when she came early and you had to pull the calf then something went wrong before this evening. That was outside your control..

Well, this cow just calved there now. That ends my wondering if she was incalf or not. Fine Gamin (ZGM) bull. Was hoping for a heifer as she is a great cow.

How things swing around again. Got a claddagh Mccabe heifer calve from a Beguin x blonde cow tonight. Calved unassisted from a favourite cow of mine. You don't be long forgetting

I've a 3rd time calver that's 18 days over, she is a tidy cow now but looks big at the mo. Calf still moving inside. Should I wait on on her or chance the vet for a shot? Bull is ch2218. Only used him once before carried 14 days and a bit of a pull. This cow would be smaller

I think giving that shot is really a last resort if there’s a problem with the cow, it can cause problems like retained cleanings, she’ll calve when she’s ready to, he’s not hard calved. When was she Ai’ed?

• Advertisement
Advertisement