Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's calving starting 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

Maybe I'm wrong on this but if cow only has small amount I assume its more concentrated, often had a cow with small amounts and no harm came to calf. Also if calf has 1 or 2 feeds got start to leave longer interval, can't be stomach tubing for too many times. ( Often they be sucking themselves too and be fightening with them ! )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ya, well this morning I left her till late hoping she would be hungry. I had cow in caving gate and calf thrown across small bale of hay. Had teat in her mouth and milk it and all, but no way she should suck.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Sorry to hear that, not much you can do other that what you're at then ( you prob know as much as myself anyway ) Find a thick caster sugar paste on finger often helps, but if calf wont stand unaided unlikely to suck on own either

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

In really do swear by the kick start esp when she has come as far as standing a bit. Give them 20 mls, I think, and leave alone for 10 mins. Guide her to cow then if she hasn't found her herself. Think it's like €15 a bottle but does more than 10 doses. Have it here on stand by ready for the 1st one calving. Had big lad last year like that first few days he had to he propped up to drink or on his knees actually. Used really drive him on to drink

Don't have shares in it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

A shot of multimin and hunger

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I use these laytex teats on a plastic bottle for new born/young calves when I have to either strig colostrum from the cow, defrost it or hand feed a calf for a few days. They are much softer than the peach teats and you can squeeze the bottle to help with milk flow. Honey or as minerleague said caster sugar on the teat can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Oxytocin isn't it?

Yeah go to vet and they'll give you a jag for the cow to drop the milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Wouldn’t worry about it. It’s you she won’t drop the milk for. Once calf starts sucking she’ll drop more than enough.

id Leave it alone and to nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Hold a square of chocolate to the roof of her mouth until it sticks to it, It'll stimulate the calf to suck and she'll latch on to a bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

You should be able to get a injection from the vet that will kick start the calf sucking. Mix of vitamins/selenium I think it is. Used it last weekend for similar issue to good sucess

Have you done this yourself ? Must try it sometime, always good to hear different solutions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mr..

Its great when patience pays off.

You’ve given me hope. Going to go out and try my lad this evening. 3 weeks old on Tuesday coming. Going to try the chocolate and the honey.

Would want to be milk chocolate not dark ( Sorry couldn't resist , thought of this today, thought it hilarious at the time 😎 )

Last night I put the heat lamp out side a gate, but pointing in at an angle towards the calf. This morning I put the calf across a small bale with cow in the calving gate. No way would she drink, tried honey on teat, milked into the mouth - no joy. Put calf back on straw and as I set to milk cow, calf got up and came to the back of cow with tongue going. Brought her to the side and she latched on. No injections or any sort of medicine given to either. Don't know if you can learn anything from that.

It would drive you mad, I know, but that switch has to go on in the calf's head whatever it is.

I might as well have made the hoor rice crispy buns. Had the honey, the chocolate but not a chance. He’s nearing three weeks now and I’m coming to the bottom third of the bag of bloom too……..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Calf number 16 for this 2005 NVI cow.

I changed calving pens and she wouldn’t settle so was a long time progressing. I had to pull the calf and cow standing.

so far six calves this year- 5 red heifers and one red bull all off my stock bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alan10

Pulled this loki bull yesterday, not hard pull just he was big and cow exhausted. Tubing him beastings last night and today. He finally stood this evening and looking for cow, won't suck bottle.

Cow has mastitis in 3 quarters, on antibiotics. I'm milking her out. Hopefully she comes good soon...no milk at moment just stink puss. Giving her nuts, silage, hay...not going mad for anything...even the calf.

Twin (heifers curaheen earp) from my saler/ch 2nd calver.

Happy out with 2 smallies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Was on the road all day and came back to meet her tongue swelled. Pulled her out and was groggy. Fine after a few hours do. I'm a lucky boy , swing's roundabouts as they say!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

I had a cow calf outside this evening, unexpectedly would normally calf all cows in doors time of year and make sure the calf got a suck.

I tryed to bring them in but she was having none of it, she was on the point of charging so I siad fcuk that for a game of soldiers and had to leave the out and hope that mother nature takes care of the calf. I'm working tomorrow morning very early too so won't see them until around 4 tomorrow evening fingers crossed all goes well for them. What's yere experience in these situations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Always find calves that are born without assistance are the ones that get up within the hour and feed themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭tanko

The only cases where i’ve seen a calf unable to suck was an old cow with a big low udder and big bottle teats that the calf couldn’t fit into his gob and a couple of first calvers that kept running away from the calf when it tried to suck, the calf will just get exhausted and lie down then. If your cow has a tidy udder and stands still for him there’s a 99% chance he’ll be ok.

Drains around the field the calf could walk into wouldnt be good tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

It’s a good feeling when you come out and see the calf stumbling and latch on within their first 30 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭endainoz

Had this beaut of a Droimeann bull yesterday, unassisted, up in 20 mins. He's a right looker though some markings on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

If all was ok at the calving then there wouldn't be a bother on them. I calf most of mine outside in a wee padock beside the sheds. I am able to keep an eye on them that way, calf usually up drinking within an hour. Then for a day or so he would be hid in a the butt of the ditch in a nice snug spot, cow coming into the yard to feed but knowing exactly where the calf is hid. After 3 -4 days the calf will be trotting around the padock with her, that's when I usually move them to a better field with grass or that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

@endainoz Do you keep many Droimeann and what do you do with the progeny. I know there a rare breed so bloodline conservation is the main objective in the medium term. I'd be interested in keeping a few Droimeann or Irish moiled in the future but I'd imagine you'd need an end market for the finished product. There not going to break any records in the mart compared to the conventional breeds.

Advertisement