Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When's calving starting 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

When the cow goes down is the easiest time to twist the calf's hips at an angle using the calf's front legs. The hips will come through pelvis at an angle.

I was looking for IFJs Ennis video online today. I remember Doreen Corridon saying you could leave a calf hanging at the hips, without causing any damage, until Vet arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Agree with you, would you try the AA now with bonus increasing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Look at 20:47 where Doreen talks about the calf not being able to breath, when you are pulling the calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dunedin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Up and running here this is the second of 2 to calve in the last two days. She had twins when we were away and one was dead when we got back. Two great calves for twins just a shame cos she’d have no bother feeding 2 or even 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Read calving tips there in IFJ two weeks ago.

It said calf could breathe when head is out as long as lungs weren't too compressed. So, if jacking, strain should be relaxed now and then to let calf breathe. That would explain why your last sentence makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

I dunno, hadn’t thought about them, how much is the Angus bonus now? It’s interesting to see what quality Angus cattle are making in the marts, will it last tho, had lots of them here years ago, they’d get mud fat on fresh air, no need for expensive meal with them anyway. Think i’ll stick with trying to produce good yellow and red cattle for now. Won’t change from Salers on heifers. Would you try any AA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭Base price

How do you find the Salers temperament. I've seen lots of them in marts and they seem fairly stormy in the ring.

I find them grand, no different that the Lims, Sims or Charolais cattle i have here. The Salers here are mostly off Highfield Odran and Knottown Roy, good docility off those bulls anyway.

• Advertisement

So if you had a couple of quality SHx/CHx heifers would you use a easy calving LM or Saler. I have a couple that will be ai'd later in the year and I asked previously on F&F about recommendations for a easy calving LM bull as I hadn't even thought of use a Saler.

I’d use a Saler, great comfort at calving time with them, most people would use a Lim i suppose. Which company is your Ai tech with?

I’ve never dealt with them, best talk to your technician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭straight

What about speckled park? Nice looking cattle. Mix between Angus and shorthorn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Do many of you use calf jackets for new born calves when in the shed? Any real benefits?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

I would have thought she was wide enough at the hips. She was very tall and long for a 2 year old simx heifer. She was off QCD herself who wouldn't have the same tight hips as apostle daughters, he was very bad for it from what I see on ICBF. Crazy to think how much he was being pushed by Progressive when he first came on the scene and plenty fellas got stung when his daughters were calving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Have never used them. Wouldn’t have thought they’d need them in the shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Last year bought two. Used one for a calf born middle night that needed warming up the following morning. Kept the Jacket on her indoors for a week. Jackets at 80 cms way too big. Might buy a smaller one, just in case, for this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Seem a member on f4f said they thought it was a good job. Probably depends on how big and airy your shed is. But if it keeps a chill of them then would be a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭straight

I'm still wearing my school jacket around the farm so I'm hardly going to buy a jacket for the calves... 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭golodge

Have tried both calving at ~24months age and at 30+months. Sticking to the older age now. Some of those, which calved at 2 years age, never grew bigger than what they were at the calving. Some got bigger, but none really grew as big as older calving heifers. Have two daughters from the same dam and sire. One calved at 25 months age, another at 33 months or so. Both had similar size at the same age, but their size at the calving and especially now, is completely different. One is almost the smallest cow, another is a little bit bigger than average. All were pretty good at getting incalf, but younger calvers usually took a little bit longer to settle. However, what I like the most about calving heifers older is that they are more mature at that time and I need to worry less about the bulls I use on them. Mainly use limousine, have one incalf to charolaise this year, sometimes use parthenaise or blonde. Rarely have to assist and older ones handle bigger calves way better.

Put my new calving gate to good use just there. Pulled a Gamin heifer coming backwards. She wasn't breathing when I got her out, but as I pulled her back onto Clean straw she moved a bit. A big of massaging then and I got her going. Long time since I used the Jack here. Mother a young heifer was gone a little fat to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Who2

Handiest calf this year just born. A good size ch heifer of a pb lm cow born onto the slats. I just switched on the cameras and there she was . If they all came that handy I’d be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Who2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,431 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Put a few on DD earlier, phone was off the hook. Wish I had 100 of them, lovely looking calf

Having a right battle here with this calf. She's still not sucking. I got 2 lts from a local dairy guy and tubed it in to her yesterday. I only managed to get a litre from the mother. Put another litre from the cow in to her this morning. She bucked up as I was tubing her and I got her standing for a few mins. The fun eh... Don't fancy tubing her 3 times a day but a litre is all the cow will give me. Could I give her an extra litre of bought pasteurised milk and mix it in?

Can you get some cmr from a local farmer instead of buying a full bag. Pasteurised milk has the fat removed and I doubt it will add to the calf.

Just thinking, you can get an injection from the Vet to help the cow let down milk. You say she was a heifer and since the calf was coming backwards she maybe a bit sore. I can't remember the name of the injection but you could also get some dexameth from the Vet to help her get over the soreness.

• Advertisement

I have some milk replacer here from last year. I'll give her 2 lts of that later. I was walking by the shed a while ago and the calf was up standing on her own so that's a good sign. She's a huge calf and considering what's she's been tru she might just pull tru.

I had to google cmr by the way.😀

Advertisement