Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,746 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Heartbreaking scenes with his family 😪😪

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Those kids will need counselling after tonight!

The ma, the wife, Rafa all in bits.

And the Da, laughing away - yer grand, lad 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 14,561 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Sock and Tiafoe obviously didnt get the memo, two clowns with their body shots.

They should have thrown the last few points, I think Tiafoe may have with the two points at 7-7 but Sock certainly wasnt playing ball.

An emotional night for the great man, Rafa was balling his eyes out too so their friendship is obviously very deep.

Retirement is inevitable and at 41 Roger has had some run.

Sampras played his last match at 31, Agassi was considered an old guy at 36 and Jimmy Connors was a geriatric at 43.

The game will be much the worse when the big 3 are all retired.

I very much doubt that Federer would have appreciated being patronised by having his final game handed to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,624 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Alexandrova beat Maria in the first semi final in Seoul this morning in just over an hour and at the moment Emma raducanu is one set up against ostapenko and is 2-1 up in the second.

• Advertisement

Ostapenko took the second set 6-3 and raducanu took a medical time out after the fifth game. Third set just underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,207 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Raducanu is so infuriating....lost second set and now down a break in the third...and...Raducanu...retires.

Yeah there’s clearly talent there but since the US open in 2021 she’s not able to string it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭Floppybits

It always seems when she comes under pressure the trainer is called for some injury or other. This has to be a mental block more than physical. If it is physical would she nit be better off just calling a halt to the season now, take a break for a couple of weeks and then put in the work now to be ready for the start of next season. She should also hire a good sports psychologist.

For sure, but during this match both Nadal and Federer when short of options when midcourt played the ball into space, or over the top, they could have just targeted their opponent and blasted it as hard as they could as their face or body, but they'd not do this, Tiafoe did it to both Nadal and Federer, it's not in the spirit of the game. or the night

• Advertisement

Once very likeable, but now not so much, seen as a bit of a fool

Oh I'm not arguing that point at all!

Just the notion/suggestion that the opponents should have "thrown the last few points" (presumably so that Fed could bow out on a win).

That's very much not in the spirit of the game either.

This doubles Laver Cup is most disconcerting! I got all caught up in the whole Federer's last match hoohaa last night, but tonight it's the same - looks not unlike our club players playing doubles (at about 3 times the speed, obviously!) - like a lot of things, you don't realise how difficult something is until you see it done not quite perfectly!

And I have never seen anyone look as bored and not into the whole team huddle at the changeovers than Tsitsipas - the eye-rolling is positively epic 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Tsitsipas is just an all round bell end. Seems to have a really superior attitude, and no tennis to justify it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

FAA gets a straight sets win over Djoko in the Laver Cup.

Sonego wins his third career title in Metz with a win over Bublik. Bublik was... not really taking things very seriously.

Djokovic surprisingly playing in Tel Aviv of all places next week, obviously just looking for matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cudsy1

rune-sinner at business end of first set in sofia sf, fantastic rallies. delighted to see rune competing with sinner, even if he's a horrid sort. be great to get another trio of young guns.

djok sf tel aviv starting now

astana 250 next week has 7 of top 10 i think. tennis.com article wondering is tennis next for a LIV style takeover

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Mayar Sherif defeats Sakkari in Parma to win her first ever title, the first Egyptian woman to do so. That's a terrible loss from Sakkari, I mean not being able to vulture a 250 in Parma is just an awful result from her. I know she can't help the ranking system, but it's really quite something that she managed to make it to #3 in the world despite winning one small title in Rabat.

Big opportunity for Shapovalov to win his second title, will play Nishioka in the Seoul final. Denis is too talented to only have one small title to his name, so hopefully he can make it #2 tomorrow.

Djoko-Cilic final in Tel Aviv, although I can't find it on Prime so looks like it might not be available to watch. I thought it a bit odd that Djoko was playing all these small tournaments, even taking into account that he wasn't allowed into America. I'd forgotten that he still needs to ensure qualification to Turin.

The kiss of death; Nishioka wins 64 76. Shapovalov's record in finals moves to 1-4.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭josip

The problem for Djokovic is that even if he wins in Kazahkstan, it's only enough to just get him into 8th above Zverev. And Astana has a much tougher field than Tokyo where Norrie could win and take the 8th spot regardless of what Djokovic does. And Djokovic is defending 1000 points at the Paris Masters, none of the others, from Medvedev in 6th down to say Sinner in 12th are dropping that many points before Turin. So it looks like Djokovic will have to play either Vienna or Basel the week before Paris to give him a realistic shot at Turin. But that's a lot of tennis, assuming he goes deep in all of them, before a potential Turin.

There's a clause that if a grand slam champion misses out on qualification then they'll get the 8th spot, so long as they finish inside the top 20 in the race. So all Djokovic actually needs is to finish top 20, so he's basically already qualified. Likely just not taking any chances as well as making up for missed matchplay.

Better explanation below:

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, Kyrgios is trying to get out of assaulting his girlfriend by playing the mental health card

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ruud gone in Tokyo already. Alcatraz fighting back in the first set via Goffin in Astana

• Registered Users Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭josip

As things stand, it doesn't look like Djokovic will be going back to Australia any time soon.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/63225405

His 2 recent titles in Tel Aviv and Astana have seen him close the gap to Nadal's total of 92. Still a good bit of daylight between them and Federer, due to Federer's 250 titles.

Nice to see Murray winning a few matches in Gijon quarter final tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cudsy1

Since french open '17 SF, 6 months after achieving year end number 1, Murray has only made two 250 SF total.

Plays winner of korda bautista agut, in 3rd set now.

Yeah Murray just doesn't have the fitness really to play so many matches close together it seems.

In European open - Evans with a win, as well as Draper (absolutely hammered Brooksby)

Didn't see this one coming. Simona Halep provisionally suspended 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

To me she doesn’t come across as the sort of person that would cheat like this.

I don’t feel she knowingly took a banned substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I'd agree with you there, I'd hope it was unknowingly in her system, but, even if proven innocent, it'll always be there in the background and the damage done to her reputation will not be easily repaired.

• Advertisement

Halep's statement was interesting, talk of feeling "betrayed" suggests to me that she was prescribed something from her team and blindly trusted that it was safe. Even if this is the case, she's incredibly naïve and monumentally stupid. She's too old to blindly take something and not to do her research as to what's in it.

She'll likely face a significant ban for this, and at 31 years of age it could basically spell the end of her career as a competitive force in the game. A sad end to her career.

Advertisement