Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Azarenka was due to partake in a US Open exhibition to raise money for Ukraine. Marta Kostyuk complained.... so Azarenka got dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,291 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Draper very impressive against Thiem, excellent on serve and didn't face a single break point

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Ok Glasso, sorry to say you've left me with no choice but to issue a ban here. I've warned you many times previously that this consistently rude, aggressive and insulting posting style simply won't be tolerated. You've been given many chances to clean up your act but it seems they've largely fallen on deaf ears. Pretty fed up with it now at this stage, and I'm guessing others feel the same. Enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That’s a bit ridiculous. Azarenka was taking part to raise money for Ukraine ffs. So how long is Azerenka and other players from Belarus and Russia going be punished in this way for something none of them have any control over ?

Post edited by Itssoeasy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭josip

Now that Alcaraz has made the semi final of the US Open, but only made the quarters of the French Open, it's safe to say that hard is definitely his best surface. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭cudsy1

Somewhere glasso is smiling tonight. Alcaraz number 1, hard court slam winner before clay, raducanu down in the 80s. Only high WTA seeds in final the only blemish?😁

Who was it on here that said Alcaraz would lose early in New York? 😬

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Fed retiring after Laver Cup. Glad I got to see him live.

Well we knew it was coming I suppose, but I still gasped when I saw it on Twitter. Laver Cup is an exhibition, so mad to think he finished his last ever official match with a bagel to Hurkacz 😬

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Folks, I'm lucky to have tickets for the Laver Cup on the final day Sunday. Would anyone know what time it usually finishes on the day? Says all the matches are day sessions but there's potentially four to be played. Could possibly book flights for 10pm instead of staying another night (London ain't cheap). Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭cudsy1

Ireland Barbados Davis cup live stream on tennis Ireland Facebook at 4pm today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

End of an era, and a bright, shining, illustrious one at that. As another poster said, we all knew this announcement was coming, but that doesn't make it any easier when it does arrive. Without getting too philosophical, nothing makes you feel older than the fading of your childhood/adolescent idols.

Been many debates on here, and elsewhere, about the GOAT. And whilst statistics may not be in his favour now, I think we can all say that Federer was a genius, who elevated tennis to another level, and transcended the sport. Will be sorely missed, but I'm just grateful we got to witness this era in all it's glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

He may not go down as the greatest, (although he's certainly in the argument) but, to me he was certainly the most naturally gifted and an absolute joy to watch, played the game the way it should be played, always trying to be on the front foot. Definitely the best player to watch, at his absolute peak in the noughties, outside of Nadal on clay he was untouchable. Probably would have been better off not coming back last year, might even have been able to comeback and compete this year instead if he hadn't came back last year. Even though I knew he was finished after last year's Wimbledon, it's still a pity he couldn't go out on his terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

As others have said, the greatest natural talent ever, and the greatest all round player ever. But in a way, I think that was his downfall. Nadal and Djokovic spent most of their career adapting to each other and Federer, working on modifying and improving their game as they saw necessary, to find weaknesses in their opponent.

But as we often saw, Federer often lost to these two, being hurt in the same areas by them, but seemingly not changing anything. He fully believed his natural game was enough to win the day out, that the game would be played on his terms, and not modified to suit the opponent. That "real tennis" should be enough.

I think due to how natural he played, it was alien to him to lower himself to playing at times like Djokovic or Nadal, the refusal or inability to do it dirty as times, to dig in to the point you've nothing left to give. He often struggled when the tennis went out the window and it became a battle of attrition. I think people mistake that for being weak mentally, his style just doesn't allow him to play like that.

In saying that no one beat the "weaker players" with such ease, his consistency unmatched really, and doing it with such little effort.

I think his talent is really shown when you break the game down. If we're to talk about who has the best serve, forehand, backhand, volley, who's the best on quick or slow surfaces, clay or hard court, Federer would be in the top 3 greatest ever across the board in every facet of the game. I don't think any other player could say that. I think that's the real indicator of raw talent.

I think he brought the game to another level globally. I've never seen a sportsperson with such dogmatic supporters, but he brought the game to worldwide interest that I don't think existed before. People wanted to see him, and how he played so gracefully. Aesthetically no one has ever played the game so beautifully. The only thing in tennis more beautiful than Federer playing is the Gasquet backhand ha.

I always disliked him for some unknown reason, but that drove my interest in the game, wanting to see him lose. The big 3 don't have fanboys, Federer does and the rest are "anyone but Federer". Outside of seeing Federer being beat and his slam count being overtaken, I daresay people have much interest in Nadal or Djokovic relatively. But that in and of itself is an indictment of Federer's greatness. He drove the global interest in the game to new levels!

Alcaraz lost his first match as world #1 on Friday, a 7-6 4-6 2-6 loss to Auger-Aliassime in the Davis Cup group stages. FAA is a pretty solid if unspectacular opponent, and with the match being just 5 days after the US Open final I think we can give him a pass on that one. Fair play to him for turning up, I think most would've expected him to skip it.

17 year old Linda Fruhvirtova has made her first ever WTA final in Chennai, match currently in progress against Magda Linette. Might be a name to keep an eye on, her and her 15 year old sister Brenda are tipped to do quite well. Brenda has already won seven ITF titles, the latest one won today.

Meanwhile, surprised to see Osaka in the draw for Tokyo next week. I'm assuming she's simply fulfilling contractual obligations?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭josip

Federer's knee must be completely shot, he's only going to play 1 doubles game with Nadal in the Laver cup.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/sep/21/roger-federer-hopes-to-bow-out-tennis-doubles-alongside-rafael-nadal-laver-cup

Wawrinka got a win over Medvedev in Metz last night. As talented as Wawrinka is, that's a match Medvedev really should be winning. Although probably fair to say Med has had a tough year of it, heart probably isn't in it at this stage of the season.

Also in Metz, Thiem got a win over Gasquet before losing handily enough to Hurkacz. Still playing himself back into form, 2023 will probably give us a better indication of knowing whether or not he'll be back to, or even close to, his best.

Raducanu into the QF's of Seoul, match with Magda Linette coming up soon. Hoping she can get the win, would be her first SF since winning the US Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Med has had some stinker of a season really. I wonder if that AO match Vs. Nadal broke him mentally. Although relatively young still, I think next year is make or break for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,291 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Raducanu won really comfortably in Korea so into Semis nice to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Hopefully she gets a good run of form together and finish the year well, she should also get a little rankings boost too.

Just incase anyone doesn't know, the Laver Cup is currently live on Eurosport 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,958 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Just tuned in.... I know not a thing about it, but it's all a bit.... odd?

The court looks tiny, and sounds dodge. And Federer/Nadal are the most unnatural looking doubles pair I've ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,831 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Cheeky , going for the body on both Federer and Nadal, not a nice way to win.

Playing dirty is fine, all above board, but the greats never resort to it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

End of an era. Rafa and Novak can't have too much longer left at the top either unfortunately.

Federer is a class act, total legend of the game.

A FITTING END

KING FEDERER

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Augme

Not sure who thought it would be a good ides to wrap this up with a live concert. But they should be fired.

• Advertisement

Congrats on your retirement Roger... anyway here's... Ellie Goulding?!

Advertisement