Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2022 EDITION!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,010 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Trails in the Sky Second Chapter|PC
    2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    5. The Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye|PC
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    7. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3|Gameboy
    8. Shantae|Gameboy Colour
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    11. Monster World IV|Megadrive
    12. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Breakthrough|PC
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    15. X-Com 2: War of the Chosen|PC

X-Com 2: War of the Chosen

X-Com 2 is basically X-Com, which is one of the best strategy games of all time, polished to an extreme sheen. The game makes a lot of changes, some of which are controversial, but after beating the game it's obvious the team made the right choices and its a much better game that the already amazing original.

X-Com 2 doubles down on the randomisation which makes each campaign far more interesting. In particular the levels are much more varied than the authored levels of the original. The most controversial addition is the time limits added to some missions. I can understand while some people don't like them, they can be intimidating. Ultimately they work great, you always have enough time to complete objectives and it's a more dynamic game when you can't play it safe with overwatch traps. The soldier classes now are much better balanced and usually have two or more ways to spec them into very different feeling units.

The war of the chosen content adds a huge amount to the game as well. The three new units are great fun to use. There's new enemies to fight including the lost which change the gameplay loop up considerably. There's a lot more to do in the overworld. The chosen are a great variable to shake things up in the main game and can really throw a spanner in the works when they show up at the wrong time in a mission. The game even gives you the option to fix the DLC which some people had an issue with where you could end up in a DLC mission way too early and end up getting destroyed.

There's just a massive amount of content here and it's all very replayable. It's pretty much one of the all time greats and can't recommend it enough. My only complaint is that the excellent soundtrack isn't as good as the Enemy Unknowns soundtrack but even here the game gives you the open to play with that game's soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TinCanMan

Mad Max [PS5] - This is a truly excellent and underrated game. It's open world with batman like melee combat although much more impactful and brutal. Try not to grind too much. I did initially and started to get bored but once I stuck to the main missions and side quests I really started to enjoy it again.

Uncharted The Lost Legacy [PS5] - Went in to this game with little to no expectations and boy was I surprised. It was a blast. Your typical uncharted fare but condensed into a shorter game. The main characters work well together and the graphics are simply eye candy. If you are a fan of the Uncharted series and were mulling over getting this then take my advice and go for it. It's an excellent game.

Assassins Creed II [PS5] - This is a 13 year old game now and it shows its age graphically and with clunky controls which can be infuriating at times. But that aside this is a brilliant game with a great storyline and memorable characters. I enjoyed this so much and would thoroughly recommend this to anyone. 

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. Guardians of the Galaxy | Ps5
    2. Wasteland 3 | Xbox series X
    3. Halo Infinite | Xbox Series X
    4. Sifu | PS5
    5. Horizon Forbidden west | PS5

Horizon Forbidden west

Mixed feelings about this one. Felt the combat and general gameplay was great and it looked absolutely sublime on my Oled. Also getting to old for these open world games racked up 40 hours on this one.

Story in the last third was very bad , saw a kotaku article which summed up pretty much the same feeling I had that it just lost me wasn't even sci-fi was space magic nonsense near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,387 ✭✭✭✭Penn

1. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales (PS4)
    2. The Outer Wilds (PS4)
    3. The Forgotten City (PS5)
    4. Sifu (PS5)
    5. Horizon Forbidden West (PS5)

6. Elden Ring (PS5)

There's so much to say, that there's pretty much no point. It's hard to see how this won't be my GOTY.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭da gamer

Far cry 6 - PS4

Call of duty vanguard - PS4

Blood stone 007 - Xbox 360

Battlefield 2042 - PS4

Batman the enemy within - PS4

Control - PS4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Deadly idea for a thread dunno how I’ve never stumbled across it before.

1) Ghost of Tsushima, Platinum Trophy - PS4

2)Assassins Creed Ezio Collection - PS4

3) Sable - Xbox Series S

4) Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 - PS4

5) Days Gone - PS4

6) Guardians of the Galaxy - Xbox series s

I have to say I was disappointed by Guardians in the end, the gameplay was fun and the graphics were great but the combat was way too repetitive, the final boss was underwhelming and the cutscenes were a bit long winded for me. Visually it was a treat but it reminded me of Jedi Fallen Order at times and not in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. Guardians of the Galaxy | Ps5
    2. Wasteland 3 | Xbox series X
    3. Halo Infinite | Xbox Series X
    4. Sifu | PS5
    5. Horizon Forbidden west | PS5
    6. No more Heroes | Switch

No More Heroes

Played this and finished it in 9 or so hours on the switch, really enjoyable totally off the wall like most suda 51 games. Some of the humour wouldn't fly now though.

Currently playing death's door via gamepass and delighted I am giving it a whirl the music and artwork of it is fantastic.

After I finish that I will try and commit myself to elden ring which I know is going to be a long haul one but I needed a palette cleanser after HZD.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

1. The Artful Escape (Xbox)
    2. Yakuza like a dragon (Xbox)
    3. The Gunk (Xbox)
    4. Psychonauts 2 (Xbox) 
    5. The Procession to Calvary (Xbox)
    6. Hitman 3 (Xbox)
    7. Fight Night Champion (Xbox 360)
    8. Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox)
    9. Carrion (Xbox)
    10. Exo One (Xbox)
    11. A Plague Tale: Innocence (Xbox)
    12. Elden Ring (PS5)

Beat it after 75 hours, only one optional area left to do. Loved exploring the open world, that made a big improvement on previous Souls games. Only bugbear is that the NPC sidequests are still nigh impossible to complete without google, they just move around random spots on an enormous map and the chances of bumping into them is next to zero. Still an incredible game, up there with Witcher 3 & Super Mario 64 as my all time favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 28,917 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Nier Automata.

Got all but one of the endings due to the amount of work involved in getting ending Y.

But I liked the game. A couple of annoying parts and definitely would've been much harder if didn't have the Pod.

Will look into Replicant now and see how people say it compares.

Post edited by CastorTroy on

• Registered Users Posts: 8 farada

1. Ender Lillies - Quietus of the Knight
    2. Monster Hunter Stories 2
    3. Everhood
    4. Guacamelee
    5. Borderlands 2
    6. The Forgotten City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭skerry

@farada uncanny overlap on games completed so far this year 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 9 752611716

Streets of Rogue (PC), beat the game with each character and all achievements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,010 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    16. Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts|SNES

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Always been a massive fan of this series. Ghouls 'n Ghosts was 'my game' in the arcade where I got to the point that I could beat it handily with one credit (as long as the dip switches were set low enough). I've always really enjoyed Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts but never beat it until now.

Super GnG is a standard 16-bit action platformer from Capcom and one of the best examples of the genre on the super Nintendo. Super GnG is basically a brand new entry in the GnG series and makes plenty of changes to the core gameplay. The biggest change is the double jump. One of the defining gameplay systems of the original GnG is that once you jump you are committed and can't make adjustments until you land. While the double jump allows you to make adjustments on the fly and also gain extra height, the game is designed around this mechanic leading to some fiendish level design. I'm sorry but Capcom aren't going to break series tradition and go easy on you. Super GnG might be challenging it's always fair.

While the double jump give Arthur some extra mobility they also inexplicably take away Arthur's ability to shoot above him and below him during a jump. It can take a while to get used to this but the most annoying this about this change is that it makes the series iconic annoying arseholes, the Red Arremer, more annoying to deal with. There are new weapons added and with a few are carried over from the first game. Unfortunately most weapons are really bad with strange arcs that are hard to account for. There's only really two useful weapons, the machine gun like daggers and the arrows which fire slightly upwards which are invaluable considering arthur no longer can fire directly up. The Red Arremer AI also has a terrible time dealing with this. There's new armour added as well. There's green armour that upgrades your weapon (homing arrows and nice and OP), which can be further upgraded to yellow armour that allows you to charge up a magic attack. There's also a shield which I think came in useful all of once for me. While I like the upgraded weapons the game is difficult enough that you rarely see the yellow armour.

Level design is mostly excellent with some gorgeous looking levels. The game opens with the traditional graveyard but the ground shifts constantly under you before moving to a tidal wave section and a ruin filled with plants and fiendish traps. Next is a ship graveyard filled with ghosts that then because a pretty annoying auto scrolling level (it's quite long so if you die it can be infuriating). Stage 3 is a lave stage with some tricky platforming that then gives way to a rotating tower section that doesn't look great, there's better looking examples of this in the likes of Mickey Mania (and even battletoads on the SNES). The fourth level is your disgusting organic stage that serves as a showcase for the super nintendo with plenty of mode 7 effects (and also a multi sprite boss that slows the system's framerate to a crawl which I also suppose showcases the SNES, in this case the weedy CPU). Stage 5 is the ice stage. Then there's Stage 6 and 7 which are kind of boring looking boss Gauntlets and are a little disappointing. Also infuriating as Stage six expects you to take on 3 Red Arremers before the boss. All stages are accompanied by an excellent soundtrack.

So is Super GnG better than the original GnG? In ways it is but I prefer GnG. I find the level design a little better and the weapons a lot more useful. I also find the soundtrack more iconic (although that's nitpicking). I do love the green armour weapon upgrades. However one big issue I have is with the series' traditional kick in the arse. If you aren't familiar with the series the game won't let you fight the final boss and will send you back to the beginning of the game tasking you to collect a secret weapon that can be used to defeat the final boss. Due to the amount of upgrades this is a lot tougher to do in Super GnG as the weapon only appears once fully upgraded. You can also lose this weapon by accidentally picking up another weapon so you need to be super careful.

Anyway enough nitpicking. None of my small issues take away from the fact that this is one of the finest SNES action titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,387 ✭✭✭✭Penn

1. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales (PS4)
    2. The Outer Wilds (PS4)
    3. The Forgotten City (PS5)
    4. Sifu (PS5)
    5. Horizon Forbidden West (PS5)
    6. Elden Ring (PS5)

7. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands (PS5)

I'm a huge Borderlands fan, and Borderlands 2 is one of my favourite games. Unfortunately, it's been diminishing returns since then. Each game since has improved some things and made some things worse. This is no exception.

TTWL changes the structure of the game to take place in a Dragons N' Dungeons type of game, controlled by Tiny Tina. It features an Overworld between game maps with a bit of activity in it, but mostly just amounts to throwing in a few small combat encounters. Other than a few nice narrative twists, this game does nothing interesting with the DnD formula it sets up. If anything, the DLC from Borderlands 2 which was the inspiration for this uses it far more creatively. And so the main unique thing this game brings, doesn't change all that much and so this feels like nothing more than a Borderlands game.

The combat and everything else is pretty much the same as all Borderlands games, yet somehow worse. Grenades are replaced with spells but make little real difference. Melee is boosted with actual equippable melee weapons, but is still slow and cumbersome so doesn't make much difference. And some weapon types have a bit of a crossbow variant, but it's just another shooting style.

I played the entire story without using a single sniper rifle or rpg, and only used shotguns pretty early in the game. Pistols and SMGs are hugely overpowered. As such the combat and loot feels extremely bland. And while Borderlands 3 made loot far too easy to get with purples and legendaries dropping all over the place, this is the opposite. It is a better balance, but still feels unbalanced where the majority of loot even from hard-to-find chests or high rolls on loot dice will still mostly be greens. It's also padded out with new loot types, like the melee weapons, rings, and so many pointless cosmetics.

The narrative is the best it's been since BL2, with great performances from Ashley Birch, Andy Samberg, Wanda Sykes, and Will Arnett. But the game is so short that they're not able to do anything interesting with it. I think the main story of BL2 was about 22 chapters, and most of those were at least an hour long. This is 10 chapters, mostly less than an hour each. There are no interesting NPCs in the game. And since the BL has always been very outlandish with enemies and levels, the ones here where they could do anything they want due to the DnD formula are simply uninspired.

The game is also incredibly easy. I think I died from combat fewer than 5 times. Most of the time I died was from falling off the map missing a jump. The new classes and abilities system is okay, but also just uninspired.

Endgame content is supposed to be better than BL3, with a randomised risk/reward style combat chambers where you can pick up various buffs/debuffs etc, and you can choose what loot-type you buy at the end, but again it just feels bland.

It's fun. It's okay. It's Borderlands re-skinned. There's a note at the start of the credits about how the game was mostly made during Covid and with people working from home, but this shouldn't have been a full-price release, or should have been delayed until they could fill it out more. Its worse sin though is coming up with a framework to seperate it from the Borderlands formula, and doing absolutely nothing with it. It's a huge missed opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭nickkohl

Just completed The Artful Escape (Xbox Series X)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭brady12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Jaysus I have just fell right off this year. Haven't beaten a game in two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Another game finished on PS4:

PS4

Bloodborne: Loved it, but at the same time my gaming time is limited so used NPC and Co-op help on many of the bosses! Took care of the final boss myself at least.

Rise of the Tomb Raider: Played the rebooted Tomb Raider a few years ago and really enjoyed it, and this was more of the same. Easy game, rediculous story, but some nice set pieces and fun platforming action.

Nintendo Switch

Yooka-Laylee: Not bad, not amazing. Passable 3-D platformer but felt so unpolished after playing Nintendo's first party efforts with Mario, etc....

Mad Max [PS5] - This is a truly excellent and underrated game. It's open world with batman like melee combat although much more impactful and brutal. Try not to grind too much. I did initially and started to get bored but once I stuck to the main missions and side quests I really started to enjoy it again.

Uncharted The Lost Legacy [PS5] - Went in to this game with little to no expectations and boy was I surprised. It was a blast. Your typical uncharted fare but condensed into a shorter game. The main characters work well together and the graphics are simply eye candy. If you are a fan of the Uncharted series and were mulling over getting this then take my advice and go for it. It's an excellent game.

Assassins Creed II [PS5] - This is a 13 year old game now and it shows its age graphically and with clunky controls which can be infuriating at times. But that aside this is a brilliant game with a great storyline and memorable characters. I enjoyed this so much and I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone. 

Assassins Creed Freedom Cry [PS5] - A short spin off from Black Flag(which I haven't played) about slavery and piracy. A very enjoyable game with beautiful graphics and some very poignant moments. I'd recommend it if you're into assassins creed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1. Immortals Fenyx Rising - PlayStation 5
    2. Persian Nights: Sands of Wonder - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    3. Rad Rodgers - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    4. Shady Part of Me - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    5. Mass Effect: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    6. Mass Effect 2: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    7. Mass Effect 3: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    8. Mass Effect Andromeda - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    9. Persian Nights 2: Midnight Veil - PlayStation 5
    10. Skyland: Heart of the Mountain - PlayStation 5
    11. Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragons Keep - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    12. Desert Child - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    13. Ben 10 - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    14. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - PlayStation 5

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

I managed to get the platinum trophy for this game yesterday. I did enjoy the gameplay a lot, it was reasonably varied, the combat was fun and the metroidvania style of unlocking powers is a mechanic I enjoy. I played the entire game on normal difficulty but I probably should have increased the difficulty midway through as once you unlock many of the skills/power ups it does become very easy. I had no trouble with any of the boss fights.

The game did have a few issues though. Firstly the plot, it was fine. I don't watch the Star Wars movies/series so I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more if I did watch them. The map system is awful, it's very difficult to backtrack to different areas as you can't tell how to get back to many of them. It made certain parts of the game very frustrating.

And finally, despite playing on PS5, I experienced quite a lot of bugs. The game crashed on me 3 times, I fell through the map numerous times, characters models didn't fully load and the cut scene video and audio was completely out of synch, by about 5 seconds, which made them pretty much unwatchable. This could be solved by shutting down the game and restarting but it would always start again.

A fun game and I would definitely play a sequel but it definitely had its issues.

• Advertisement

#7 - Horizon Forbidden West || PS5

Started it on PS4 on launch day, decided I'd hold off until I got a PS5 so I could experience it there. It was painful but I managed to get a console two weeks ago. FOMO kicked in lol.

Gameplay feels like Zero Dawn for the most part but there were plenty of improvements and additions to make it different enough. Storywise - I'm probably an outlier but I didn't follow the story well at all. It was the same for Zero Dawn - I just didn't understand what was going on. It was made worse with the fact I beat ZD 5 years ago so my memory of it was really blurry. No amount of recaps helped. Thankfully the gameplay and loop was enough to overshadow it for me. Definitely one of the best combat mechanics in an open world series I've ever played.

Zero Dawn was my GOTY for 2017. I don't know if I'll class this as my GOTY for 2022 because of how much it did so similar to the first game. There were, as I said, enough new features and mechanics added but as a whole it was more of the same. Doesn't make it a bad game though, far from it. This'll be a series I'll replay again in future.

It was also nice to come out of my drought. I hadn't beaten a game since February 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭da gamer

Far cry 6 - PS4

Call of duty vanguard - PS4

Blood stone 007 - Xbox 360

Battlefield 2042 - PS4

Batman the enemy within - PS4

Control - PS4

Wet - Xbox 360

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

How did you find Wet. Never even heard of it. Googled it after seeing your post. Seems to have come out around 2009. I stopped gaming for a fair few years in and around 2008 so makes sense I never heard of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

15. Battlefield 4 - PlayStation 5
    16. Sea of Solitude - PlayStation 4

I signed up to EA Play to play the Mass effect games so I have decided to work through the catalogue of games available on PlayStation but not including any multiplayer only games or Sports games as they don;t really have an ending.

Battlefield 4

I played and finished the campaign in this one, as usual I didn't bother with any of the multiplayer stuff. I enjoyed it for what is but realistically it's an average military FPS. The story is completely throwaway but there are some nice action set pieces and the sandbox style levels give you limited options on how to tackle the levels. As usual with these games, I would never buy it as I'm only interested in the single player aspect but I'm happy to play through the campaigns if available for "free".

Sea of Solitude

First off, do not try and play this game on PS5, backwards compatibility does not work and it's unplayable.

This is a game set in a fantastical world that focuses on issues of bullying, depression and broken home. It tells it's story in an interesting way. gameplay wise it's only a slight step up from a walking simulator as it's a very easy game with the only real challenge coming from finding collectibles for the platinum trophy. It's short and worth a play.

15. Battlefield 4 - PlayStation 5
    16. Sea of Solitude - PlayStation 4
    17. Fe - PlayStation 5

Fe

Another game from EA Play added to the completed list. This one is puzzle platform game that I enjoyed despite having no clue what it's about. You area fox type animal with the ability to sing to various animals that help you on your way. You unlock abilities to and languages that allow access to different areas. I enjoyed the simple enough gameplay and I got all trophies except the one for collectibles which wasn't worth the time. I was surprised that this game has bad reputation, it's certainly no masterpiece but it's something different and worth the single playthrough.

#8 - Cyberpunk 2077 | PS5

Finally dove into the game after waiting for it to be in a decent state. Pleasantly surprised. My favourite thing in the whole game was the location itself. It's one of the most dense locales I've ever explored in an open world game.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time. Not sure I'll go back and get the Platinum trophy but I will go back and replay it in future.

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC

GG Shinobi

The analogue pocket as been a bit of an eye opener for me to not just how good the Game Gear was but also Sega as a developer. I always viewed the game gear as a machine that Sega just ported master system titles to but it has a fair few exclusives as well. What stands out about these exclusives is just how good they are.

Nintendo gets a lot of credit for the design of its portable games and how they perfectly fit the portable platform but in retrospect Sega were just as good and GG Shinobi is a great example of this. GG Shinobi is very much a Sega action game but built around a handheld experience. It's very tough but also very short so can be played within 30-60 minutes. The game features a Megaman style level select where you can choose the order of which of the first 4 starting areas to tackle first. Defeating the boss of a stage will free one of your ninja friends who all have different weapons and abilities that can help them get around levels. Each level also has a permanent health upgrade to be found that requires the abilities of one of your ninjas, so there ends up being an optimum path through the game. The game then ends with a massive maze level that is insanely challenging and forces you to utilise the abilities off all your ninja companions.

GG Shinobi is a fantastic handheld action game. It's pure Sega at their 16-bit best. It looks great considering the 8-bit hardware and has a Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack. Definitely a pleasant surprise.

Elden Ring

I won't go into this too much but I'll just say it's one of the best games I've ever played. From Software's take on an open world is an absolute triumph. It's challenging and obtuse in the best way From Software can be but it's also From Software's most accessible game with welcome quality of life features like being able to respec and the ash summons. With Breath of the Wild and now Elden Ring I really hope other developers start taking lessons of them when it comes to making their open world games because stuff like Horizon coming out with the same old ubisoft monogame template just isn't acceptable anymore.

My only very slight negative is the soundtrack for the bosses isn't as strong as other from games, although I love the ambient music. However it's far from the disaster that is the Demon's Souls remake's soundtrack.

Assassins Creed II [PS5] - This is a 13 year old game now and it shows its age graphically and with clunky controls which can be infuriating at times. But that aside this is a brilliant game with a great storyline and memorable characters. I enjoyed this so much and I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone. 

Assassins Creed Freedom Cry [PS5] - A short spin off from Black Flag(which I haven't played) about slavery and piracy. A very enjoyable game with beautiful graphics and some very poignant moments. I'd recommend it if you're into assassins creed.

Assassins Creed Brotherhood [PS5] - The second game of the Ezio trilogy and another excellent game, this time set mostly in Rome. Graphically improved from AC II and with some cool features such as training your own assassins amongst others. Highly recommended on my part.

Sega don't get anywhere near the credit they deserve. Even the failed Dreamcast had some great first party titles.

Great developers. Terrible management.

• Advertisement

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    19. Castlevania: Dracula X|SNES

Dracula X Rondo of Blood on the PC Engine is one of the best action platform games of all time (although not my personal favourite of the series). Dracula X on the SNES however isn't Rondo of Blood. What it is is a rare stumble by Konami during the 16-bit era.

Dracula X feels like a budget game made on a shoestring budget to get a game out on the SNES before the market moved to 32-bit games. Most of the art work is repurposed from Rondo of Blood and a lot of the music are SNES renditions of tracks from that game. What this meant was that at release there were a lot of very annoyed Castlevania fans that thought they were getting a SNES port of Rondo of Blood and instead got a different game.

The controls are very similar to Rondo of Blood. Levels are totally new and there's new bosses although some are recycled from rondo. Level Design is very weak in this game. There's some really infuriating level design later on in the game that seems to just be there to make the game arbitrarily long to extend out it's length. The game is overly found of using the same level design motifs which get old fast. Some bosses suffer from poor design with some absolute howlers. The absolute worst is the final boss which manages to be both frustrating and also excruciatingly boring. Whoever decided to fill the final boss fight room with bottomless pits is an asshole.

Rondo of Blood's best feature was the multiple paths you could take through the game leading to new areas. Dracula X tries the same thing but it doesn't quite work. There's only really alternative versions of Stage 4 and 5 to discover. Also it's very easy to get sent to the wrong Stage 4 which locks you into the bad ending (falling down a hole in a room filled with holes and annoying medusa heads that cause knock back).

Rondo of Blood let you rescue three captured women and doing so affects the ending and also unlocks a fun alternative character. Dracula X on the other hand has two you can rescue for an alternative boss and ending and you can't play as Maria.

Dracula X just feels like a poor imitation of one of the all time great 16-bit games. It's not entirely bad, just unremarkable but when you are up against other games in the Castlevania franchise and also imitating what is considered the best in the franchise then it just highlights the flaws of the game. don't bother with this one unless you are a 'vania completionist.

Advertisement