Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio collar for dog

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

That's fine. However I have seen first hand what a dog attack on sheep looks like. We didn't want this to happen to any of our dogs. He got shocked once about 3 years ago and nothing since. If we didn't take steps to prevent our dog getting out he could have got knocked down or put down if he chased animals. Instead he is happy out stretched by the fire.

That's all I'm going to say. We love our dog and he is happy, healthy and well cared for.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

@Davidk1394...

"The only reason it won't work is because it's not maintained"??? Yet you yourself have posted that your system failed because your dog "got clever"?? So, which is it??

I never once had an issue with the one I had due to lack of maintenance.

The multiplicity of issues I had with it were:

1) Due to a malfunction of the control box which resulted in my dogs getting shocked no matter where they were in the garden. Hard to get a dog's trust back when something like that happens.

2) Due to power cuts.

3) Due to the fact that dogs, like ourselves, when under the influence of an adrenaline surge when running towards something outside the boundary, don't feel the impact of the shock. They're out of the property, and unlikely to try to get back in when not under the influence of adrenaline.

4) Due to dogs "getting clever" as you've described, running so fast over it that they barely get a shock.

5) Due to further cleverness, dogs who copped how to drain the battery without getting shocked... this would take them an hour or so on a fully charged battery, before they were gone.

One of the reasons I have issues with any equipment that works via causing a dog pain, or anticipation of fear, is that people are very much inclined to abuse it when it fails, and give the dog a highly escalated delivery of the pain to try to fix the issue.

Such "getting clever" running-through failures are most often due to the dog not having been through the full training procedure as recommended by the manufacturers, which is meant to be done over a few weeks with no use of the collar right up until the end of those few weeks. There's a long process that has to happen and should not be cut short, which does not include simply walking the dog around the boundary and letting him hear/feel the beep/vibration before he gets a shock for going too close as you've described it. It's often the case that owners don't afford subsequent dogs the correct training that they gave their first dog. Perhaps this is not what happened in your case, but the statistics would suggest otherwise.

Re burying the wire, this is what I did. To be perfectly honest, on the odd occasion that the box beeped to let me know the wire was damaged, it was a feckin nightmare to find the damaged bit. The beep tells you it's damaged... it doesn't tell you which bit! Not burying it though, makes it more vulnerable to damage.

Hold on... you keep losing me due to saying different things! You say he crossed the fence 3 times, before you dragged him across it at max power... does that not mean he got 4 shocks, rather than just the one as you say above? Presumably he'd have got a minimum of one shock during your initial training process too, so is it actually at least 5 shocks we're up to... is it? Or am I misinterpreting what you've said?

Other than that, you've completely lost me now at the "cruel to be kind" bit. Quite frankly, it's a lazy way of justifying abuse. Hopefully a day will come that you understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Comments like cruel to be kind have no place in a forum dedicated to pet care.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

@davidk1394 very sad to read "cruel to be kind" in your post. Whatever about saying something to another person in order to be " cruel to be kind" and as a person, they understand. But saying you pulled your dog across the fence at max power. That is deliberately inflicting pain on your dog,

How in gods name is that any different to standing there and using a taser or hitting your dog? Do you thing the dog understands why you hurt him? Dogs do not understand the consequences of their actions!

Op, please read all answer in this tread, and do some more research.

We are in the 21 century. Surely we as humans have learnt by now.

Bowing out of this tread now. Far to distressing.

Post edited by sdp on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I was wondering when the anti everything narky posters would arrive.

Took them longer than usual.

"Cruel to be kind" is a phrase. It rarely has a literal meaning.

Get over yourselves.

I don't use any shock on my dogs...I still got 'IS,NT IT ILLEAGLE TO LET DOGS ROAM THE FIELD UNATTENDED?,...The attacks on these forums are really the end end of it...I actually have permission from the land owner and I can tell you I have the happiest dogs in the world that are walked every day.i don't see any bad behaviour from these owners..they obviously love their dogs and don't want anything to happen to them.spend their own money in trying to make sure that they don't get knocked down and are safe.come on to these forums for advice and get flamed from others who don't live in the country and proberly have never owned a bigger dog in their lives.

The forums are a place where you can come for advice ..if your going to attack someone ...go somewhere else ...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pygmy Shrew

Hi OP, I recently got the Petsafe radio fence for my 9mth collie, and so far working really well. It was recommended by a reputable dog trainer by the way. We are surrounded by forestry and his big issue was chasing deer into the forestry. Once he learned his boundary he has never tried to cross it....he won't even follow me up the driveway....he stands there looking at me as if to say...' you must be joking!' The only downside is the max area covered is only about half an acre, but that's plenty for him to fool around with a ball or something around the house. There is no wire to bury or get broken. You need to take the full 2 weeks to train him that once he hears the beeps he needs to move back towards the house. The 'shock' is like the static shock you'd get from touching a door handle or similar, uncomfortable but harmless...I tried it on myself to check. Please pm me if you want more info.

Glenbeigh,

This is a discussion forum. You do not get to dictate who posts where. If you have a problem with a post, please use the report facility.

To both glenbeigh and Silver2020, with respect, you are going to get conflicting views in a discussion forum particularlywhen the topic is an emotive one, as this one is. When those views do not align with your own, it is simply not acceptable to resort to referring to those who don't agree with you as "narky", "anti everything" or to "get over" themselves. Neither is is acceptable to accuse those who don't agree with you as "attacking" you, nor to throw wild assumptions around about who lives where and what size of dogs they've owned. The first real signs of unpleasantness I've seen so far in this thread has been each of the last posts from you both. Up to both of your latest comments it has remained quite a civil discussion. Please now reel your necks in and continue the discussion in a civilised manner, or else stop posting.

Let me repeat, if there is a post that's of genuine concern, report it. If it's actionable, the mods will action it.

Do not reply to this post on thread.

Thank you,

DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I'm not replying to every individual comment. The fence was installed because we wanted the dog as a deterrent to unwanted guests, his not a guard dog. The look of the dog is better than an any security systems no travelling salesmen bothered to get out of their vans.

If you want build your run and walk the dog every day you go do that, the only time our dog is locked into the run is when children are playing in the garden. If you think the approach to training in the dog was heavy handed that's fine, but we got the result we wanted, although it took some time. His trainee to obey the boundary.

The dog plays his key role in a system and is well looked after for it. We do see him as a pet while most other posters here see their dog as part of a family as it might be the only animal they might have.

Dogs are clever animals they do know when they are in the wrong while they mightn't understand consequences of what happened.

If you still wish to disagree your more than welcome to do so, however I won't be changing my stance. The dog is happy, we're happy and the system works once it is maintained, no different to a dog run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

It actually is used in a literal sense in this instance though - justifying causing a dog pain to get a particular result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I live in the countryside. I have medium sized and big dogs and no electric fence in sight, rather I have actual physical fencing around my 2.2 acres of land.

My dogs are working dogs. It's a rotten day here today, they've been out for their exercise and are now all snoozing on arm chairs and dog beds, except the one on my lap that is annoyed at my lack of attention and so keeps pawing me - apologies for any spelling or grammar mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

How is this still working for you need to get something similar have a 8 month old red setter and she is just lepping over 4 foot fence like a race horse.

Advertisement