Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio collar for dog

Options
  • 29-12-2021 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any recommendations for a radio collar for a large breed dog (golden retriever)

He is easily contained by electric fence and even a very loose collar (won't try get out of it) so I suspect he may not need fort knox level security but nonetheless he likes to roam large distances when he is free....I'd like it to be reliable and don't mind overengineered rather than buying something not up to the task and then have to go buying the right thing afterwards

I'd like him to have as large a run as possible (I have the space fields behind house) was looking at the radio fences on dogfence.ie but unsure as we didn't have to use one on the previous dog (springer spaniel, real beaut of a dog but a real homebird too)

What's good out there, what are people using without issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with a radio collar. The amount of dogs found wearing radio collars in the pound is insane, and they're the lucky ones who are found and not shot after worrying sheep.

Between line failures, battery failures, dogs getting spooked and running through the fence unable to get back inside... Put your money into building a physical boundary, that's the best thing to do I'm afraid.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭amacca

I think Physical boundary around house not really feasible I'm afraid. It's not a terrace or semi detached that you could contain with a boundary out the back....can't build anything over the low walls in front...don't really want to or have the time given the stretch...missus would kill me if I erected a fence in front lawn behind wall....don't really want to put in a physical fence at back as it would be a pain in the hole given the run I want to give the dog...would be a huge perimeter and messy to set up. Problem is he is already enclosed in an area (when he's not out walking etc) and I feel it's a bit boring for him.....would be better/more stimulating if he was more involved with comings and goings around house rather than just watching from his area.

GPS an option...alert when he leaves area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Do you have livestock near you?

As far as I know with GPS systems, most of them are on a subscription service if you have any kind of distance between the locator and the dog. I'm not sure if there are any new ones that you don't have to pay to use, but I just remember a lot of these services cost money in order to use them.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

I'm a farmer so they are all around me...the dog is harmless but he loves to play games and naturally I dont want him in near neighbours sheep + the area around me is frequented by hunters etc....if he would stay within my boundaries he could play away to his hearts content with my animals but he likes to wander (will come back but that's beside the point)

I wouldn't be against paying a subscription for a service that worked .....preferably reasonable and annual its just the effectiveness of them I'd be wondering about. Don't mind paying or at least it's secondary to something that works......

The dog hates shocks and is very docile on a lead, won't even attempt to get out of a collar that's nearly falling off him yet when he is off lead and/or not being entertained is like a ghost...turn your back for a split second and he could be a km away

I'd like him to have a much bigger slice of freedom but me to have peace of mind that he's contained and therefore wouldn't be mistaken for worrying sheep (and in fairness even the playing he would do might upset lambing ewes)

A great dog but a bit of an eejit when it comes to looking for entertainment. ...very different to springer spaniels we had for years before this in that aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭mountain

Here ya go,

very accurate, needs a charge every night however.

https://www.munstergps.ie/product/dog-gps-live-tracker-sim-card-installed/

• Advertisement

Thanks...that looks like a good product (certainly reasonable on fee side of things) ....but it seems to just track...I'm wondering if there's something similar that can give him a little dart or a series of increasing shocks when he attempts to go beyond a perimeter I can set...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭mountain

Tracks only,

it can be set to notify you when he leaves a certain area.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,028 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Stop Press: Farmer wants to leave dog loose with a shock collar for control... Film at 11

Not your ornery onager

Thank you for your input

If it works and contains him + gives him more freedom ...what's the harm. I did see one working with a collie in Kilkenny a couple of years back, I was there buying a pillar drill off the guy...he was very happy with the system and had been using it for years, if I could find his number I'd give him a ring. The dog was happy and free to wander around his yard fields...and if it works on a collie, I'd be willing to at least try it for my dog...it may have been one you have to put wire down for though

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Infoseeker1975

We had a golden retriever who we sadly had to put down last may, he was 13.5 yrs old. We used a radio collar, the company is based in Dungarvan. We never put it under the ground, just on the grass, etc and we have about a third to a half an acre. It emits a high pitch sound first to the dog, then if they get too close it gives a shock. We bought it when he was 1 and at most he had one shock, he was very aware of his boundary and worked a treat.

We recently took in a 1yr old golden retriever and used the same system with him as he needs some training though he is great fun:) Again, it has worked a treat and he worked it out very quickly. When we bring him for a walk, twice a day everyday, we make a fuss about taking off the collar and he walks through the gate even though during the day whilst it is on him, he has never gone out. Below is a link to what we bought 13/14 yrs ago and we just bought additional wire when needed which you could get in a hardware shop.

• Advertisement

Thank you very much....that's 3xactly the kind of info/feedback I'm after. My main concern is how effective the systems might be as I have no previous experience of using any

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dr Fred

Is it possible to get a radio shock collar (for training purposes) in Eire or would you need to order online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Sweet Jesus.

Shock collars.

Try actually taking some time to train the dogs.

Do you live in the countryside? and do you or have you ever had experience of training a breed of dog like mine to remain within a certain distance of their home 24/7 not wander too far?....I have my doubts you can answer yes to one or perhaps both questions....I'm not an expert dog trainer but I would also seriously doubt that it could be done and be sure he wouldn't wander off at some stage...........where I live wandering could be a death sentence for him as neighbour would be well within their rights to shoot him if he was out running with sheep etc (there's also the issue he could pick up poison - I personally wouldn't lay it but it could be there for foxes ), ....now the neighbours probably wouldn't and do know the dog but why take any chances...there's also the chance some opportunist decides he looks nice and decides to add him to their collection....he's very friendly towards anything on two legs viewing them as new sources of play/amusement (I can't train that out of him)

Seems like a preferable solution to me..it's not like the dog will be getting shocked too often if the system works properly (I'd have been thinking he wouldn't be getting shocked at all after he learns the boundaries ....the only alternative I can see is a dog run and get out for walks..........to my mind at least training wouldn't work but maybe you can enlighten me......I've trained him to sit, lie down, walk to heel, come back when called....he didn't need much training to get the idea of fetch and he also didn't need much help to not **** in his bed or around the garden so maybe I'm wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Infoseeker1975

My experience was a very positive one, our golden retriever who passed last May could not have been more loved by us, the collar caused him no issues and I have worked from home for over 15 years. Our road used to be a country road many years ago, it still is in design but it is used as a short cut to a business park, at certain hours the traffic is not safe and if our dog wandered out due to the scent of a fox, etc then there was a chance he would be hurt/killed.

The golden retriever breed is generally very easy to train, he knew his boundary very quickly. When I set it up, I would hold the collar myself to see when the shock would occur. Then I used to bring him towards the wire and he would always stop before the point that the shock would occur as an increasing high pitch sound is emitted before the shock, this can be set to different distances.

With the second retriever who we got a couple of months ago and he was already 1yrs old, the experience has been similar. I do not see any cruelty to it as it protects the dog in the environment we live in and they quickly learn where the boundary is. On a few occasions when our first dog was young, he did pass it and also came back in himself so it is not a major shock but enough of a deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Sorry I can't seem to edit your comment down to the small bit that I want to reply to

An electric fence won't stop him being stolen - anyone can walk in, remove his collar and walk out with him so they are not theft deterrents.

I live in the countryside. 3 dogs - staffy, collie & a Yorkie. 1 acre site.

train the dogs or put up fencing to prevent them getting out. It’s not rocket science.

Oh agree....but I'd imagine it would be easier to steal the dog if he is kilometres away from home rather than confined to a set area on your property.

I don't think a radio fence/ collar keeps humans out.

Sure I can put up fencing....if I want to give the dog a small run, maybe something around the 10 × 10 ft up to maybe 20 x 20ft .......the cost would be prohibitive to go much larger with dogproof physical fencing to give the dog the kind of area I'm talking about....ditches on my land aren't dog proof, perhaps I could rig up electric fencing without breaking the bank but not going to bring electric fencing in around the house and out back ...it just isn't feasible for a couple of reasons....so that's one of your options out afaic anyway

Now seeing as it's not rocket science I'm sure you wouldn't mind explaining how you would train my dog not to go outside a boundary when left to his own devices, I'm highly sceptical but curious, I'll admit I think it would be entertaining watching you try with my lad...he's intelligent but not a homebird, I'd imagine he would break your heart trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

Hi op, I know everyone situation is different. I do live in a very rural area, and my closest neighbor uses a shock collar.

Now I can’t tell you the amount of time their dog has strayed into my place, and others over a mile away with collar on. And not a chance he would cross their boundaries when we would pick him up, without removing the shock collar first.

I don’t want to sound as if I’m in any way putting you down, As I can read you only want to do the best for your dog.

But have found with working with local rescue, that dogs coming in with shock collars on and speaking to their owners, that 99% of those dogs are bored and left to amuse themselves most of the time.

I truly believe dogs don’t want to play away by themselves most of the time. But a well exercised, stimulated, tired dog, will not want to wander off to amused themselves.

And by God, with the young ones it takes a lot of time and effort.

Hope all works out for the best for you

• Advertisement

YouTube is a great source for anything dog training wise. If you’re not up to a simple search ring a local dog trainer that uses positive reinforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

But can you give the links?

Considering you say it's not rocket science, I would also love to find out this super easy way of keeping dogs within a specific area without fencing.

I too am on one acre. Compared to neighbours, it's small and was very easy to fence. But it's a measly one acre and would quickly be boring to the dogs.

A field next to me is about 50 acres. (Takes 20min to walk end to end) and when not being used for grazing we can let our dogs on it (farmers gave permission) and they absolutely love the freedom of roaming it.

My guess is that is what the op wants.

Can we have your simple solution to that?

I have two beagles on mini educators ...they have a one mile radius range ...we have one acre back yard.its set to vibrate and not shock..they know what the collars are and don't even think of jumping the ditch to go into the next field.easy to call them back at the press of a button .used for daily walks through the fields.happy dogs .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't it illegal for a dog to roam loose and not under the effective control of their owner/handler?

I suppose I'm trying to figure out if it is effective control....I've seen it working but would like feedback from people who have used it.....+I'd have my own space for the dog to roam...I'm not proposing to let the dog roam over someone else's property or public spaces.

So far it seems as if it could work but some replies mention some dogs that end up in pounds have had radio collars on them ..... (I would question if that means they don't work however as naturally the pound is where you are going to find all the instances of system not working....you won't find any dogs there where it worked or find out what percentage success rate is.

The other thing I was hoping to find out from people who use the system is what is they think the best make/brand is... as I'd rather not find out by trial and error

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I've hesitated to reply here because it has come up again and again as a thread topic and I didn't want to repeat myself once again, but I realise the search function on this new version of the site is not great.

I used the radio fence system many years ago. The place I lived at the time was reasonably rural, and had a fair few open spots that the dogs could readily pass through, and as I was renting, I wasn't allowed to build a fence. So convincing myself that the system would be better than a dead dog, I installed it.

I put a lot of training into both dogs, following the instructions provided to the letter.

The system worked fine, until it didn't. On several occasions, both dogs were tempted out across the boundary to follow friends who were walking past with their dogs. On none of these occasions did my dogs make their way back into the garden. They ran around out on the road in a panic, wanting to come back in, but couldn't make the mental leap to take the shock for the return journey. Luckily, I never let them out unless I was home, so I could resolve such situations fairly fast... I shudder to think what could have happened had they been running about on the road in a panic for any length of time.

There were also a number of instances where power cuts rendered the system useless. Again, in my case not an issue due to not letting the dogs outside unless I was there, but this is a very real and major issue for people who leave their dogs alone, relying on an electrical system for containment.

Leading on from this, in the years since using the system, I got myself qualified as a dog trainer, and have since met many dogs whose owners used radio fences. I realise these are anecdotes, but I'm going to list a few of the things I came across anyway, just for your consideration.

I met many dogs who regularly "tested" the system, regularly checking to see could they set the warning alarm off. Once it didn't go off (due to eg a power cut, or weak battery) they'd head off for their neighbourhood wander.

I met a few dogs, funnily enough all golden retrievers, who learned to sit just at the periphery of the activation zone, setting the alarm or vibrate mode off repeatedly but without getting the shock, until they wore the battery down. Very clever. They would then head off for their neighbourhood wander.

I met quite a number of dogs who were so traumatised by the first shock or two that they got, that they refused to move about in the garden at all, or to even leave the house. I have seen some dogs literally pee themselves when they hear the alarm/feel the warning vibration. Some dogs can tough it out emotionally, but some dogs are extremely sensitive and shut down when they receive a physical punishment, such as an electric shock. It can be difficult to know in advance if your dog falls into the latter category. To make the system work, the dog must receive at least one shock during the training process. That, in my opinion, is a very risky moment that could go either way. Any shooting folk will tell you about gundogs that were ruined after getting a belt, just one, from an electric fence, and having experienced both (see below), I can attest that the belt in the neck from the radio collar is considerably less pleasant than a belt from an electric fence on other parts of the body.

I met many, many dogs that developed aggression issues towards other dogs, and people, as they walked past going about their own business. The contained dog runs towards the boundary, in a big adrenaline rush forgetting about the radio fence, then getting a belt in the neck as they were focusing hard on a passing human and/or dog... the contained dogs in effect learning to "blame" the passing humans/dogs for getting the shock to the neck. Aggression in these cases tends to escalate and is very, very difficult to resolve.

One dog I knew personally was killed when 2 other dogs came into his garden to attack him. They had free access to and from his garden. He did not, and could not escape. He was a labrador, not a small dog... he was killed by an English bulldog and a Yorkshire terrier.

I have tested the collar, both in my hand AND around my neck, where dogs wear them. The sensation is vomit-inducing, particularly when the electrodes are in contact with the neck/throat.

I initially bought and installed one of the well known systems. It malfunctioned and resulted in the boundary I had set for it to cover the whole garden. Therefore, my dogs got a series of belts in the neck when just sitting in the "safe zone", minding their own business. The company replaced the unit, but that was the start of me making plans to not ever have to contain my dogs with electricity any more.

You might have gathered by now that I'm not a fan, based both on personal experience, and since then, my own professional observations, feedback from other professionals and welfare organisations, and reading the research behind why they've been banned in a number of countries. I do not like any system that involves having to induce pain, fear, startle, or anticipation of pain for it to work. I do not like any system that can so easily let you down if the power fails... remembering now the recent warnings that power cuts are going to become more common. I do not like any containment system that a dog can outfox. To be perfectly honest, still to this day, I struggle with the guilt of having ever used the bloody thing and causing such anxiety to my dogs, and I totally support the fact that they've already been banned in a number of countries including Wales, Scotland, are being discussed for banning in England, and Veterinary Ireland along with various august dog welfare organisations in Ireland are calling for them to be banned here. There is a fair bit of research and expert opinion that underpins each of these national bans.

Honestly, I think that as long as they are getting appropriate levels of exercise, company and social contact with their owners, and mental stimulation at home, it's rare enough to find a dog that objects to being contained to a smaller space by a good fence. There are additional advantages to having a good fence too, including keeping other dogs, livestock, perhaps even humans out, and you can be entirely confident of leaving the dog outside alone, that he'll not stray, cause an accident, or do harm outside your property.

Sorry for the length of this post, but I wanted to bring a bit of, I hope somewhat objective balance to the discussion as someone who has used the system, and has found its many failings make it an investment that's not worthwhile, for quite a few different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I have this system for my Rottweiler. My Father put in back in 2008, still going strong. The dog has nearly an acre of open space to roam around. Put in the heavier cable as it'll last longer and if you have to join it put in the outdoor joiners that fill with grease. We buried it slightly. Change the battery in the collar once a year. If the cable is broke the black box will beep to alert you. Walk the dog around the fence, once the dog comes withing a meter and a half it'll vibrate and beep and once they cross it, it'll shock them. The Rottweiler we have now got clever and used run passed it, it's stop shocking after about 5 meters. I turned it up full power and We pulled him back in over it and he didn't do it since. When we had sheep neither dogs crossed the wire as once it vibrated they ran back from it.

I read some comments about it not working right. The only reason it won't work is because it's not maintained. Walk the boundary once a year. Also our dog is happy out here. There's other dogs around him and lots of activity with machinery, vehicles, cows around him so his never bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

what do you mean by " I turned it up full power and We pulled him back in over it and he didn't do it since" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

When he went out the 3rd time. I put the lead on him. Turned it up to 5 and pulled him back over the boundary and he didn't cross the wire since. That was a few years ago. Turned it back down to 2. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Cant actually believe what I’m reading here.

Advertisement