Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Dopey mistake- any comeback?

• 29-12-2021 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭

Thought I purchased a 10 euro cafe voucher a week ago, turns out I mistakenly added another zero so paid 100 euro, only realised what I'd done when I checked email Xmas eve

Phoned cafe and they were pretty unhelpful, told me to send an email, sent one but no reply two days later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,491 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's Christmas, likely the accounts person who can sort this won't be back at work until 4 January.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Raichu

I’m not sure if they are but gift cards might be covered under distance selling regulations which allow 14 days for a change of mind (obviously assuming it hasn’t been spent in any capacity)

if they haven’t replied to your email ring again!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

Long shot but check the terms for what happens to the balance on the card after you make a purchase. It may be possible to get the balance in cash instead of being issued a revised voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

rang several times , just constant fobbing off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭SteM

So you mailed someone on the 27th and have rang several times since Christmas eve? You're probably being fobbed off because the whoever you're ringing can't actually help and whoever you mailed is still on holidays. Did you mail an actual person's address or a generic 'customer service' address? Is it a coffee shop chain or small place?

The last 2 days were bank holidays, I wouldn't have expected to hear back from them during that time tbh.

• Advertisement

the person who runs the cafe is either french of spanish so perhaps they are unfamiliar with policy in this area ?

its only one hundred euro but I would never spend that sum in a cafe and pastry outfit , if they cant reimburse me , Its not the end of the world , Was just wondering in general what policy is , its not unreasonable to enquire however in my opinion

Of course you should enquire, it's a lot of money. IMO the response you should expect from the cafe is based on the set up of the place though which you've been unclear about. Are you mailing the person you are speaking to on the phone? Is it a multinational? When you say 'fobbed off' what exactly is the person saying etc.

spoke to the same person three times , she told me she " didnt know " when i explained and asked me to email , she gave me the incorrect email the first time , I phoned her again today and she wouldnt answer my question as to their policy in this area , she said she would answer my question via email

its a small cafe business , only two shops in Galway

I doubt a small shop would have a policy for a specific issue like this, it's unlikely to have happened before. If you're close enough just drop in to chat, you'll probably have more luck dealing face to face.

perhaps they have not encountered it before but they might still be obliged to operate under consumer rights laws ?

thats the crux of the matter , they might chance their arm telling me I have no comeback so would be good to know chapter and verse what is the law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,738 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

Show them the consumer rights facts, nicely. That you are entitled to a cool-off period and are more than happy to recommend their business if they Co-operate.

I was trying to paste here from Citizens Info but you can Google and find it easily.

Nothing Known Talent Management Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 10,397 ✭✭✭✭28064212

OP, did you buy them online/over the phone or in-person? Cool-off period doesn't apply if you bought in-person. If online/over the phone, you should be covered by the 14-day automatic right of return.

Who are you talking to in the shop? And by that I mean their title. If it's a cashier/low-level employee, there's really no point engaging further with then, they can't do anything for you. As said above, there's every possibility that the person/people who deal with this is off for Christmas, you're not going to get an answer until they return.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

I think nowadays even if you buy in-store you can avail of the 14 day no questions asked return.

either way it’s fairly apparent this was bought online as the OP said they accidentally typed an extra 0 to make a €10 voucher a €100 voucher!

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,837 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

99% certain I know the business in question and they aren't on some form of holidays. They are back open after Xmas and the people running it are hands on and always in there.

OP they probably don't have to refund you but they might out of goodwill. Very much up to them. Highly unlikely, as an independent operator, that they've any policy in place for such an occasion. Your best bet would be to go in and politely chat with them and see if they'd do anything for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,491 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP right now café owners are literally climbing the walls trying to find staff who don't have Covid or meant to be isolating.

Stop being an a$s, go and chat nicely to them in the middle of NEXT WEEK if you email hasn't been answered by then.

• Advertisement

yeah I’m not 100% sure so I’m only guessing.

also okay, if you want to be that pedantic I just cba with you anymore. Do you often go and ask for a voucher and say €100 when you meant €10 like cmon.

Pedantic? I asked the OP a very simple clarification which has significant implications on what they may or may not be entitled to, and gave accurate advice to them. You, on the other hand, came in with nonsense that you presumably couldn't be bothered doing a 5 minute search on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭Deeec

We are in those days post christmas where most places are operating on a skeleton staff - it is normal for owners who are mostly hands on to take some down time after a busy pre chistmas - everyone needs a break sometimes. Some coffee shops near me havent even reopened yet, some are struggling for staff with covid others are taking a break. Im pretty sure if the Op waits until next week he will get his refund. Its evident that the owner is not on the premises at the moment ( as Im sure they would have spoke to him on the phone if they were) or is not checking emails this week - nobody could blame them for taking a break. He is more than likely speaking to a waitress when he calls the premises who cant make the decision to refund him.

OK so they aren't bound by any consumer rights legislation?

No, only when I purchase online and hit an extra zero by mistake

Unusual that a waitress would have their mobile number listed on the website?

Well if she is taking orders from customers ( you do understand people do phone coffee shops with orders ) she will be using the business mobile.

If you paid by card maybe ring your bank and try and recall the payment. If you only paid it last week it probably isnt even showing up in the coffee shops bank account yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

will a bank recall a payment unless you give them good cause to believe it's fraudulent?

Advertisement