Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is there no PCR tests available?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

The HSE has under invested in laboratory services for decades.

Chronic staff shortages, 20 yearlong pay discrepancies. A vital part of the health service behind the scenes and swept under the rug.

Cervical check wasn't a big enough wake up call, It's taken a pandemic to cast the importance of this profession into the light.

Expected to implement a national service from nothing. The equipment is huge, it requires special rooms and safety cabinets. Labs have had to set up their covid rooms in converted store rooms.

It's crushing that there are a minority of medical and laboratory scientists working 24/7 to double and triple their workload week on week and still have the public **** all over it. Burnout doesn't come close to it.

All of this equipment is not a waste. It will be used to detect a range of viruses, which will reduce turnaround times, lead to quicker diagnosis and improved patient care in the future. This is investment that was badly needed anyway. Its just about 20 years too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭BrentMused

My local COVID test centre is literally 30 seconds walk away from my house.

I had to walk past a few times today on my way elsewhere, and on each of the 3 occasions the place was basically empty save for a couple of staff members chatting between themselves.

Yet, it's literally impossible to book a test at said centre.

Strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Tried to book at 12 and 12:30 as recommended. Nothing available.

I did notice that when they ask you for the date of the Antigen test you can no longer select 2021. Just 2022 in the year option. So you either lie and say you took the Covid test today or if you took the test in 2021 they clearly don't think you need to be tested anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bob b

If you try to put in the date of your antigen test the system breaks as there is only one option for the year - 2022. Looks like 2021 never happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

I just lied and put in 1 Jan 2022. Didn't do any good... Still no tests available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

The only ones I've seen pop up are ones in Swords and the odd one outside Dublin. Obviously gone by time I click into them 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

was trying to get one at 12, absolutely nothing. Why is it so difficult for them to set the website up similar to Ticketmaster whereby you enter a queuing system…. Actually I know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

Went and got my son tested yesterday, the place was the quietest I've ever seen it. Was in and out in 7 mins..I don't understand it..and yet no appointments available. Just doesn't make any sense

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...and we could also do what ticketmaster does such as 'demand ticket pricing', that be some craic!

....are we running out of people to run the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

A certain brand of Antigen test is under a lot of suspicion for giving false positives, this could be putting the PCR system under a lot of pressure

• Advertisement

The problem is the lack of testing equipment. Same goes for antigen tests. The upsurge in demand, combined with the Christmas season, has led to a shortage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Search Twitter for Dr. Niamh Ni Loinsigh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bop1977

I got an appointment for a test yesterday. The test centre was an hours drive from my house on a toll road. The test centre was in athlone.

When I got there, there was another car ahead of me and a third car behind me. We all got the appointment for 19:50 but when we arrived the place was a ghost town. All of us came from around the same area in north Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bop1977

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bph1505

Call it out please .... I've returned 4 positives in a row and have no symptoms ... forget about being sued .... cant happen if its in the public interest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Seems to be quite a few people saying testing centers are extremely quite. Likewise trying to book a slot seems near impossible. But with over 40k tests being done daily, where are they being done? Seems strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I was at a testing centre in Carlow yesterday morning and it was busy enough. There was a car in the queue who was directed to leave it - I don't know if that was because he turned up without appointment. My OH was in Punchestown today and said it was v busy there, big queue of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Tested today in Swords. Arrived at 11.40 for an 11.50 appointment. Back in car at 12.50. Very busy and queue was a lot longer as we were leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Explorium yesterday was pretty busy yesterday, constant stream of cars, but the staff were being super efficient, so in all it only took 10 minutes in and out.

Longest wait I've had for a result yet though, 29 hours so far! Have a crackpot theory they notify the positives first, so I'll be grand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

The more positives I hear of the more I believe this is true.

Any positives I know we're under 24 hours.

Negatives up to 40 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Family member had a positive antigen test last Wednesday morning. Double checked it with another test that was also positive. Phoned Doctor at 10am and they entered details into system for a test. Started to self isolate. Antigen tests yesterday and today both negative.

Finally got a text message today from HSE with an appointment for a PCR test next Wednesday at 4pm. 8 days after it was requested and 8 days after initial positive test. By that point will be negative anyway and official isolation period of 7 days from first positive test will be up.

The testing system has collapsed. If you get symptoms or a positive antigen test then just assume you are positive and self isolate for the required time and don't bother with the PCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I'm out of work now waiting on a PCR after a positive antigen test, god knows when I'll get the PCR I've been referred by my doctor for an urgent one so hopefully not too long. When will I be paid from? I took the antigen on Thursday so out of work since then but might not get positive result until Tuesday

I'm still waiting for a PCR test after positive antigen test on Wednesday 29th. Two negative antigens and am on day 4 of 7 isolating. Can't see that I'll get a result (even if I get a PCR test) before isolation is completed. I know there's huge demand for tests but if I do get an appointment I'll be conflicted as to whether to take it or not. On the one hand there will be others who will need it more but on the other hand I'd like to know if I actually have covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Where does the inability to get a PCR test leave the contact tracing system? Perhaps a question more suited for a thread of it's own.

I'd say at this stage anyone with positive antigen should inform their immediate contacts who should then do antigens.

We did. But right now it is easy to do that because most people are on holidays so they can take time off and take tests. In a couple of days everyone is back to work and that possibility disappears. With an 8 day wait for PCR tests the system is pointless. We will be down to a couple of hundred cases a day in a week because 99% of people being tested at that point will have recovered and anyone who is still positive after 8 days is probably already headed to hospital so we'll basically be down to the hospital numbers of cases.

• Advertisement

Advertisement