Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jumping back on the band wagon

Options
  • 27-12-2021 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

So after doing the absolute dog on it the last few days I'm looking to make better use of the home gym i invested in back in March and recoup my fitness level but I'm looking for advice on how to proceed as I'm in the middle of learning to swim aswell I'm not sure how to split my week if I was in the pool maybe 4 days a week and looking to workout 4 days aswell? Could I workout in the evening and practice swimming in the mornings or vice versa to avoid injury and ensure proper recovery? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Plenty good resources online that might help answer your questions -

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Eight total training sessions in a week is 'a lot', but it depends on your level of exertion, age, sleep, diet and your other tasks/work/stresses. If you were strong enough to really exert yourself in the workouts at home, or if you were swimming significant distances then yes, it could possibly be too much, but if you're detrained on the working out and you're a novice swimmer, maybe not.

The simplest answer is to say that you're better placed than us to monitor how you're feeling, and whether you think you are fatigued enough that your swimming lessons or your workouts are being seriously affected.

As far as working out goes, if you want to make it so you can drop a session without having to worry about it too much, I would do an "A" workout and a "B" workout and just alternate them. They could either be whole body workouts, with upper and lower exercises in them, or make one dedicated upper and the other dedicated lower. So your week might be A, B, A and the following week B, A, B etc. Miss a session and just carry on with the next workout.

Advertisement