Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

The performance of Ministers during this crisis

• 23-12-2021 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ Apothic_Red

Some sink, some fall, have your say

Personal disclosure, I'm a FG voter but have sympathies with MM.

Thought Leo did a good job early days, having a health professional in the Taoiseach role probably comforted many early doors.

Star performer went to Harris who seemed to carry on where he left off in the 8th debate. He was a clear communicator & that has proven to be a rare skill in politics these days.

The transition happened & MM inherited the malaise, Leo fell in line but obvious pokes at NPHET lowered his stock.

Finance seemed in good hands with Paschal & Micheal, there has been very little opposition to their approach, some may have argued it was too generous.

Covney, although not directly connected to Covid, still looks professional on the world stage, Zappone-gate noted.

Donnelly, after showing such promise in opposition, has become a David Brent type bumbling clown who is destined for the back benches once Leo does his re-shuffle. The sooner Harris is back in that portfolio the better, although I doubt he'd want Angola once the pandemic is over.

Foley has been handed a hospital pass, I don't envy her position but her ability to go missing is notable.

Sometimes I wonder who the backgrond teams are behind these levers of power, I know Chris Donoghue, ex morning show on Newstalk with Ivan Yates use to handle Paschal's PR brief but has since moved to Covney's team.

Finally, I'd say that Michael Martin has been trying his best through all this, I think he's a thoroughly decent individual. He has been fine treading the middle ground, makes you remember when they hounded Enda Kenny out early although history will rate him highly.

Share your own rating on Covid ministers below. Please don't take a swipe at other posters positions please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ Everlong1

The background teams behind the levers of power? You mean Civil Servants?

That's ludicrous. Compared to the buffoon Boris Johnson and Donald "take bleach to cure Covid" Trump our Ministers look like models of good Government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭ Cluedo Monopoly

They just took Norma Foley apart on Drivetime. She was spouting school positivity numbers yesterday that nobody can validate or understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,383 ✭✭✭✭ Dempo1

It is Ludicrous (this governments performance ) , I care not a jot about Boris or the UK government.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Damn, missed that but I heard her yesterday talking about these miraculous positivity numbers, she was quoting 2/3% and yet schools reporting 20% to 30% absences, granted not all covid related but I smelled a rat yesterday and that too was a train crash of an interview, how this Lady is still in this job is frankly beggar's belief, the Irony being, she's actually a Teacher 🙄

So what exactly should our Government have done that you think wasn't handled properly? What fantastic examples of good practice can you give us from other countries that we should have adopted? Yes obviously they've made mistakes - most obviously the handling of nursing homes - but that's hardly surprising given the scale and rapidly changing and evolving nature of the virus.

• Advertisement

If your not aware after two years of the chaos, mixed messaging, ineptitude, health service shambles (non covid), U turn after U Turn, Makey uppy Jobs, Leakage, Constant undermining , Shambolic School Covid management or should I say lack of , I can't enlighten you. I won't even go into the various scandals that occurred.

As I've said, I'm trying not to personalise it and don't intend to other than expressing my disgust, dismay and horror at some of the appalling lack of leadership shown by ALL 3 coalition partners.

You seem somewhat hung up on other countries, I couldn't give a toss about other countries governments, the Thread asks about Irelands government.

Sweeping generalisations. Always easy for the professional moaners. When you're ready to engage in actual proper discussion let us know.

Not at all sure why your focusing on my particular comments but I won't be baited, however, to appease you, do take a listen at the attached as just a sample of the incompetence.

Fast forward to the analysis of Norma Foleys extraordinarily miss leading information yesterday, might help you better understand I'm not making sweeping generalisations.

Even the deputy CMO bamboozled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭ touts

Some have definitely not done great but at least they have stuck together in the national interest and have tried to get us through this. Can't wait to see the Shinners and the Trots in coalition next time. I'd imagine they will turn on each other around the cabinet table come the first whiff of a crisis and the main thing leaking will be blood under the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ MTU

You’re well able to play hurling from the ditch op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭ ginoginelli

The whole of fianna gael have been appalling. They have rightfully lost massive support.

MM for all his failings is probably the best of them.

At this stage, no matter how much I distrust Sinn Fein, who probably still report to the Army Council - I dont see any choice but to give them a chance in government next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭ Degag

It seems odd that one wouldn't compare our performance against other countries, or at least dismiss it so easily. Subjective while it might be, although i'm sure there are/will be many facts there to support it - comparison of one country vs another is a very good stick to gauge overall performance.

The fact that no country has gotten it absolutely right has to be taken to mean that the job was extremely difficult. IMO anyone who thinks that there were not going to be mishaps, mixed messaging at times, contradicting rules etc is actually seriously misguided, seriously deluded and probably a serial complainer.

Personally, i think Donnelly was a mistake but overall, i think Harris, Leo & MM have performed quite well, probably in that order. Mistakes? Sure. Some affected me and i wasn't happy. Others were affected far more and i can see why they definitely wouldn't be happy, even when looking at it subjectively.

If Boris or Don were at the wheel i can guarantee you we'd be feeling the pain alot more.

Again I refer you to the original OP,which asked about performances of Irish Ministers (which on the whole has been pretty dreadful), whilst I could personalise it, I won't but if you agree constant (not just occasional) mixed messaging is acceptable, fair enough.

All those concerned with how other governments performed perhaps could enlighten us with new Threads .

As for Harris performing well 😳 seriously 🙄

Interesting review in today's indo, how was it put again🤔, o yes, Harris put his foot in it again.

Why do you think that the thread title or OP content means we can't compare performance to other countries? Do you follow the same "rules" on other threads? It seems a very odd take. Perhaps it's cause it doesn't suit your narrative?

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on how Harris performed so badly. Because to be fair, it's not a widely held view. Seems one of the more competent figures in Irish politics. What was the context on the newspaper article - i can't find it on an admittedly quick search.

• Advertisement

It's a premium article, my point re commenting on other governments is that's for others if they so wish, OP asked about Irish Ministers performance. I personally no interest in what happens across the Pond.

We'll have to agree to disagree re Harris , but the Polls suggest both his and this governments performance generally , not at all inspiring.

Well could you give us the cliffs from the article seeing as it's behind a paywall?

I presume you have access seeing as you are mentioning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,392 ✭✭✭✭ elperello

I don't see why we shouldn't benchmark our politicians against other countries.

When people criticise our ministers they often quote how things are done in other countries.

Besides the Covid crisis is unprecedented in our lifetime so we need to spread our net widely to judge the parameters of best practice.

There's ample articles for you to Google re the hapless Harris

Take this for example

Amazed he could actually count to 19 😁

Or this perhaps , not covid related technically but deflection that somewhat backfired.

Note the date on the article, apparently Harris still strongly considering 🤔

So you don't have access to it either? But using it as a basis for your argument even though you don't know what's in it?

In actual fact, the picture in the article is that of Coveney, not Harris. Is the article even about him? 😂

You've clearly not actually Read the articles and all three relate to hapless Harris, perhaps you just look at pictures to better understand an article, you've missed Leo and indeed Paschal in the pictures.

I'm guessing your in the FG appreciation society and that's your entitlement but don't be shy about it.

How about asking others who've posted their opinions or is it just me you want to Bait🙄

Your being very Generous, Hapless Harris didn't even rate in this article today ,

Very telling that one FG TD who's barely utter a word Covid related gets a mention due a single absurd issue, the Lotto 🙄

No no, i'm not baiting anyone. I'm trying to post honestly and genuinely and hope you are too. But i have my doubts.

This the the article you posted first and have alluded to the fact you have read it. Have you? As you said yourself it's behind a firewall. Is the article about Harris? Because it doesn't mention his name once, nor does it contain his picture. It contains Simon Coveney's picture therefore it's likely about him (in part). If it is about Harris then please post cliffs as to what it refers to ( this is the 4th time i think i've requested this). I have no interest in any other article you posted, as this is the one you posted originally to promote your argument. An argument that you don't seem to have any interest in actually arguing other than throwing insults of sorts.

If the article is not about Harris then you are posting extremely disingenuously.

• Advertisement

Apologies, I actually posted the wrong article , the Two Simons constantly putting their foot in it so to speak , easy to get confused, simple simons as it where. I'm certainly not being disingenuous, I've my opinions, you have yours but your clearly focusing on mine which is curious .

Advertisement