Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

If I missed the initial one is it too late to enter the raffle for a place with the second round?

I didn't realise this was happening so soon and didn't enter

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

I think so because the ballot is closed. The second round is for those who didn't get a place in the first round

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭FazyLucker

Unless there are still places left after the second round, and everybody has been offered a place, I think you are out of luck.

Its a bit like the CAO offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Bugger. Cheers for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cool Rider

When are the second round results out? My whole group get in 1st round, except me, bummer 🙈

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Got in second time of asking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Second round rejection. Ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I was successful in the 2nd round happy days.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Got another rejection email. Love to know how many places they've actually allocated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Rightplace2016

Rejection email.. anyone know if there is another release nearer the time as they have said no 3rd round with lotto and money refunded..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,014 ✭✭✭✭event

There should be an option to return your entry in May in case of injury and circumstance changing. And do a raffle then again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I'm in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 grape86

Rejected again, same craic in 2019, very disappointing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cool Rider

Another rejection for me too🙈 not giving up easy though, I am going to run for charity, signed up👏👏

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

What sort of money do the charities expect someone to raise or is each one different

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Sussex18

Unsuccessful in round 2 and being refunded. I am a registered AI member who has taken part before, just 4 years ago rather than 3...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Rejection in second round for me too. I wasn't surprised as I didn't think many of those that got a place in the first round would change their minds in a week.

I'll just do it somewhere else abroad instead.

I have to say I'm not happy,. but it is what it is.

Good luck to everyone running in 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

2nd round rejection again here too. I understand fully the frustration of others with this.

if they continue giving priority to people who registered to the latest DCM event then its always going to make it very difficult for someone to get a place.

no question, registration should be open to everyone at same time like all events. do any other marathons give priority similar to this?

the availability of full refund is encouraging people to register in the chance they may decide closer to the time to do it but won't lose out financially if they decide against.

Big issue is the 10k runners who didn't run this year and yet they got a guaranteed entry offer. that is a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,014 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah I agree there, around giving previous entrants first choice. Thats a strange decision IMO.

I am one of those people and got my entry this year but my mate wants to do Dublin next year, never ran one before so was gonna do it with him. I think I will end up giving him my entry and he didnt get in for the ballot. Id still be confident of picking up an entry next year closer the time

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

Have to agree here, if you had an entry last year and didn’t use it you shouldn’t get automatic entry the following year.

I know some will say but I was injured etc but there was no way 10,000 runners who didn’t run were all injured, but then there should be some sort of deferral option in place for those that are genuinely injured imo.

Look as someone else said, you can’t please everyone but there does seem to be some easy tweaks that could be made to make it a little fairer on everyone.

Saying that I do think there will be plenty of places available when the refund option is taken up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

I had understood that guaranteed entry for past entrants and lottery system was intended to be a one year only thing. It was introduced as a stop gap after the move to Sunday racing made the race unexpectedly sell out very quickly. Increasing the numbers since then should have addressed the supply side - if they could be used.

I was surprised they went with it unchanged this year but understand that their hands were probably tied by the way the last couple of years have restricted sponsorship and money in general making a new system unachievable. Not mention the uncertainty as to whether this years race would actually go ahead (given the way 2021 was cancelled).

It'll be interesting to see how many places for 2023 are offered and taken up at each stage, and especially so, how many of the guaranteed entries taken up actually get used. Given that the way things are now, not taking the reserved ticket means you are somewhat incentivised to sign up again regardless of your immediate intentions to avoid having to go in a future lottery (if this system is retained longer term). Having run the last 7 races and planning to run each year, I have benefited but I don't think that is sustainable or fair.

The fact is that at 25,000 there are probably more places than required each year. A more conventional entry system with reasonable automated options for deferrals, transfers and/or refunds would allow them to be taken up by those who will run without all the associated game theory action.

With the return to normal actual racing, continued high demand, the recent fresh influx of entry fee cash and a new sponsor on board, some planning effort and money should be allocated to investing in improving the entry system. This presumably comes down to selecting an off the shelf web based system that is already in use at some other big races and integrating it into the trusty Dublin systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Yet they are rumoured to have rreceived 3 applications for every lottery entry available.

I think the priority email should only go to those who started the previous event. Beyond that the 7/8 thousands places should have gone on first come first served basis

Implement a transfer system. I want to give my entry to someone, we have to do XYZ and pay €10 to do so. Have it open from June 1st to July 31st.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I suppose the question is why would you have the ability to prioritize someone else just because they know you?

Id imagine the reason for transfers not allowed is due to selling of them online for higher values.

Good luck with that, you'd do well to give them away.

Knew several people this year who couldn't run due to injuries, etc but couldn't find anybody who wanted their bib.

Not a hope you'd make money online for them.

Also the definite killer of the 10k no-shows was the lack of a transfer/refund option.

Maybe they thought the refunds wouldn't be taken up so it was best to hang on to the money.

Should deffo be a transfer/defer option in June or that - allows somebody time to train for it if they get a place.

Big difference the demand to run under someone else's name and getting to run yourself with a transfer

• Advertisement

I agree with that, but there isn't a hope anybody would make money on them. You might break even if you were very lucky. If it was London/NY/etc maybe, but Dublin has the "just another marathon" feel even if most of us love the event.

Also, what would end up happening is a slew more people would enter to try get somebody an entry. So for example, I would get my brother/sisters/friends/etc to register and transfer the entry to me. It would make the lottery issue even worse.

But it is up to DCM to have a waiting list and a transfer/refund/defer system we all agree on that, but it has to be managed by them. Have a priority waiting list, i.e. unsuccessful applicants are given a position on a waiting list.

Advertisement